PDA

View Full Version : Giselle got bit

Giselle
10-09-2007, 01:03 AM
I walked into the dog room when Ivy and Giselle had just finished dinner, and Ivy thought that I had food. Giselle ran up to me for some loving and Ivy attacked her.

Giselle is at the e-vet now, about to undergo surgery. Ivy ripped a chunk out of her side and there's a small spot on her back where air is collecting under her skin (subcutaneous emphysema). I'm just very disappointed. My parents are questioning Ivy's mental stability now and are convinced that she'll bite humans next. As you can imagine, they want me to give Ivy up. I, of course, know that that's ridiculous and that scuffles like this aren't unusual or uncommon. Heck, Lucky did this to Giselle several times when we first got her, but the only difference is that Lucky is flat-faced and small whereas Ivy is large and powerful.

Please, keep Giselle in your thoughts. It pains me that the only reason she got bit is because she wanted me to pet her and love on her :(

Kfamr
10-09-2007, 01:08 AM
Oh goodness. I'm so sorry Sophie. I will keep your girls and you in my thoughts. Please keep us updated on Gissie.

binka_nugget
10-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Oh no! :( We hope you recover soon Giselle!

BC_MoM
10-09-2007, 01:31 AM
Poor Giselle! :(
It sounds like it was a complete accident, and a miscommunication on Ivy's part. I hope your parents can come to understand that.

I hope the surgery goes well.

Karen
10-09-2007, 01:48 AM
Poor Giselle! She, Ivy and you will be in our prayers.

bckrazy
10-09-2007, 02:41 AM
Awww, Giselle! Reading that just broke my heart. =,( I will be thinking about you, and praying your surgery goes smoothly, little girl. Gonzo wishes he was there to make to feel better.

Sophie... I'm so sorry, that your parents are questioning Ivy, and you have to go through this. Scuffles happen, and jealousy between dogs absolutely does not equate to human aggression. =( I hope you can get your parents to understand that.

chocolatepuppy
10-09-2007, 05:05 AM
Prayers for Giselle, that her surgery goes well and she heals quickly. {hugs} to you and Ivy.

Ginger's Mom
10-09-2007, 05:48 AM
Oh poor Giselle. Prayers going out that she heals quickly. I hope that everything works out well for everyone involved.

Alysser
10-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Poor Giselle! (((hugs))) I hope the precious girl is okay. I hope your parents don't get rid of Ivy. Just remind them that Lucky did this to her before.

pitc9
10-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Millions of {{hugs}} and prayers to you and Giselle!!

I pray her surgery goes well and that your parents understand that things like this happen and it doesn't mean that the dog is going to attack people.

cyber-sibes
10-09-2007, 07:36 AM
We'll keep Giselle, Ivy, & you in our prayers. Hope Giselle heals up quickly. This sounds like dog to dog stuff, I doubt it means she'll attack people. I hope your parents will come to understand this as a dog to dog thing.

Daisy and Delilah
10-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Oh no!!! I'm so sorry. Please get through that surgery with flying colors and get well beautiful Giselle!!! :(

Taz_Zoee
10-09-2007, 09:03 AM
OH my gosh Sophie!! I am so sorry Giselle got hurt. I just hope you can get your parents to understand that Ivy is not a mean dog. Also, it may not have been that "hard" of a bite, considering Greyhounds have very thin skin. She could have done the same to another dog and not caused as bad of an injury.
You will all be in my thoughts today.
((Hugs))

cloverfdx
10-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Sending lots of healing vibes Giselle's way :(.

CathyBogart
10-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Oh poor Gissie! I hope she's out of surgery and feeling better soon.

*LabLoverKEB*
10-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Oh no! Poor Giselle. I will deffinetly keep her in my prayers. :(

critter crazy
10-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Oh no!! Poor Giselle!! Paraeys comming for a speedy recovery!!

Yes, please do try to explain to your parents that this was just a miscommunication, it happens. we have all been there. It definitely does not mean that Ivy will bite a person. Fingers crossed tha Ivy can stay!

Freedom
10-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Giselle, get well quickly, heal right up now girlie!

Just wondering how Ivy responded immediately after this? I know when one of our dogs nipped me as a kid, the instant she realized what she'd done she was all sorry and tail and head down, she knew she did something wrong.

Hugs to you and Ivy!

gemini9961
10-09-2007, 05:46 PM
How horrible Sophie, I hope Giselle heals up quickly. Sadie and Maggie got into it the other day over food. Sadie had Maggie pinned on the ground. I brought Maggie inside and things were fine between them in no time. I think it's instinct with food around to react like that.

CathyBogart
10-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Sophie, how is dear Giselle feeling? I hope the surgery went well.

BC_MoM
10-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Any word on how Giselle is doing, Sophie?

Giselle
10-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Thank you guys. Giselle did well. The procedure took about 2 hours and I picked her up at 1 AM last night. What surprised me most is how much stitching the vet had to do, but, like Cindy mentioned, I think most of it is just due to Giselle's thin greyhound skin.

Here's a pic of her injuries (warning: it's pretty graphical)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LSophie/IMG_2997.jpg

Ivy seems to know that Gis is injured. She tried initiating play with Giselle but then sort of sniffed her, wagged her tail, and walked away. My parents aren't too happy with Ivy but we are all keeping a very close eye on her now. She now eats in a closed crate and is crated when we are away (no more roaming around in the dog room with Giselle). I know it's just a dog thing, but it's just disappointing when scuffles turn into something like this :(

Freedom
10-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Oh Giselle, poor baby! Looks like the drainage tube is still in place? Did she come home with meds? Pain relievers, antibiotics? How is she to pill?

Gentle hugs to her.

wolf_Q
10-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Oh my goodness, poor Giselle. :( I hope she will be feeling better soon!

Nebo wouldn't hesitate to bite a dog over food, but never a person...I could take a steak out of his mouth and he'd be fine. So they definitely do understand the difference between dogs and humans. I hope that you won't have any further issues between Ivy and Giselle.

critter crazy
10-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Awwww....poor Giselle!! Ouch that looks painful, but I am sure taht you will recover quickly!

Giselle
10-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Oh Giselle, poor baby! Looks like the drainage tube is still in place? Did she come home with meds? Pain relievers, antibiotics? How is she to pill?

Gentle hugs to her.
Yep, the drain will stay there until Friday when we get it removed by her regular vet. She came home with Tramadol and Clavamox and she's a lovely patient to pill :) Seriously, I don't understand why all these bad things keep happening to her. She's too sweet for this =( Maybe a little airheaded, but sweet.

Taz_Zoee
10-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Oh my goodness! My eyes immediately teared up when I saw the picture. :(
Poor Giselle. It's worse than I was expecting.
Please give Giselle some loves from me. And also Ivy, because I'm sure she didn't mean to hurt her big sis like that.
Well, I guess Gis won't be able to make a park trip (if we ever get one before the weather gets really bad). But that's okay, because she just needs to get better. :)

ramanth
10-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Poor Giselle! I hope she heals up quickly. *hugs*

luvofallhorses
10-09-2007, 07:45 PM
I am so sorry. :( I hope Giselle will be okay and that your parents understand that dog and human aggression are two different things.

animal_rescue
10-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Awww Poor Gissie I hope it heals up well! :(

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-09-2007, 10:32 PM
:( Poor Gissie. That looks awful. I hope she heals well and makes a quick recovery!

I also hope your parents understand that Ivy won't suddenly be aggressive toward people just because of this incident. As others have said, and as you know, dogs can sometimes just react that way in certain situations.

Nobas Mom
10-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Awww... poor sweet Gissie... Noba, Sadie and I send huggies to help you heal faster... ;)

Kfamr
10-10-2007, 02:33 AM
Oh my goodness. :( Poor Gissie. Sending more good thoughts your way.

pitc9
10-10-2007, 07:56 AM
:eek:
Oh my....

Oh the poor thing, {{hugs}} to her and wishing her a speedy recovery!!

cyber-sibes
10-10-2007, 08:06 AM
:eek: Wow, that's much worse than I thought from your description. Poor poor Giselle, she is such a sweet girl. :( I hope there are no more incidents with Ivy. That's just plain nasty-looking.

4 Dog Mother
10-10-2007, 08:35 AM
I have to say that is much worse than I thought it would be. Poor Giselle, I hope she heals quickly. Does she act afraid around Ivy now?

Ginger's Mom
10-10-2007, 08:42 AM
I, too, have to agree, that looks much worse than I thought. :( I hope she heals quickly, and that Ivy and she are able to live in the same house without any further incidents.

Pembroke_Corgi
10-10-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about poor Giselle. :( I hope she gets well soon!

We have to be extra careful with food, too, because Adele has attacked both corgis over food before. Now she is crated at mealtimes (hers and ours) and while we are cooking. It seems to work because other than that they get along fine.

Giselle
10-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to look so bad either because the original wounds weren't gaping or extremely large. But the vet had to cut off a bit of skin to stitch Gis up properly and she had to put a drain in by puncturing another hole, sooo it does look pretty bad =/

But per Freedom's request, here are some better pics of Gis :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LSophie/The%20Dogs/IMG_3019.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LSophie/The%20Dogs/IMG_3010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LSophie/The%20Dogs/IMG_3008.jpg
"Thank you for praying and hoping for me, PT!"

ETA: Giselle isn't really scared of Ivy, but I think she's still traumatized by everything. She doesn't act normally around Ivy, but I think most of it is pain and stress.

Catty1
10-10-2007, 11:55 PM
I hope the pain meds kick in and she heals soon.

Would your regular vet talk to your parents about this aggression thing, or would one of them come with you?

{{{{hugs}}}}

BC_MoM
10-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Aw, that last photo of Giselle's beautiful face and gorgeous eyes is wonderful. :)
They say that things usually look worse than they really are...

So here's to more praying that Gissy heals up well and quickly!

Ginger's Mom
10-11-2007, 06:09 AM
I think the way she is acting stressed around Ivy is because she is not feeling well. Giselle knows that she cannot move or react as normal and that is more what she is reacting to than Ivy herself. Dogs don't seem to take these type of things into stride better than we do. Please give that beautiful girl a big kiss on that gorgeous nose for me.

Alysser
10-11-2007, 06:22 AM
Aw, poor baby! Giselle, your face is still as pretty as ever! I am so sorry she had such a bad wound but at least it was not more serious. Gentle ((((hugs)))) and prayers for Giselle!

bckrazy
10-11-2007, 05:57 PM
OUCH! =( That really does look like it hurts. Poor Gissie... get well soon, sweet girl.

She still looks beautiful, as always, in her pictures. What a trooper!

DrKym
10-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Aww porr Giselle....sending prayers out for her!

Years ago when we lived in Ft. Lauderdale I worked with the Greyhound rescue groups from the Hialeah race track, we still had Rotties and the poor greys would get nicked and cut so easily with just regular play, I am certain Ivy and her will become excellent pack mates , and I am sure this will not turn to any human aggression. Just seems the greys are a bit more delicate than some of our beefier kids ;)

Giselle
10-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks everybody :) Giselle is feeling loads better today. She came out of her crate voluntarily and tried to do her little "Hey-you're-home!" dance. Before, I had to drag her out and make her poop/pee.

Also, don't worry. Ivy is staying. I have the final say, and this one incident isn't enough for her to get the boot =P Dr. Goodnow, I feel the same way. Prior to this, Giselle and Ivy were best friends, but thin grey skin and a large angry puppy just don't mix well. That said, we're taking careful precautions now and changing our routine. I just don't want to give Ivy a single smidgen of a chance to attack Gis or Lucky.

Taz_Zoee
10-11-2007, 08:23 PM
OH, I am glad to hear Gis is feeling better. She is such a sweetheart! :D

jennielynn1970
10-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Poor Giselle, that looks painful. She has such a sweet face and soulful eyes.

I'm not too familiar with the Dog side... :o ... what kind of dog is Ivy? You said she's larger, I was just wondering how much bigger compared to Giselle?

kimlovescats
10-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Poor beautiful girl!!! I'm so sorry this happened! This worries me a bit because my recent rescue, Coco, has food and sometimes toy aggression with my little Cavalier, Dottie! So far, she hasn't really bitten and Dottie does scream easily :rolleyes: but I'm watching very closely!!!

I am glad that Giselle is starting to feel better now!

Kim

critter crazy
10-11-2007, 09:41 PM
so glad to hear that giselle is feeling better!

shais_mom
10-11-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm glad to hear that Giselle is feeling better!
Skin tears are so prevalent in the breed, when I had my Shaianne, I kept my fingers crossed a LOT!
big hugs to Giselle.

anna_66
10-13-2007, 10:29 AM
It's just amazing how much damage dogs can do:o

I'm glad that Ivy is staying and that Gizelle is doing good:)

pitc9
10-13-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm glad to hear she's feeling better and that Ivy isn't going anywhere.

cali
10-13-2007, 11:52 AM
awwww poor Gizzy :( prayers the she feels all better soon.

I'm not too familiar with the Dog side... http://www.petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/redface.gif ... what kind of dog is Ivy? You said she's larger, I was just wondering how much bigger compared to Giselle?

Ivy is a Dobie mix I believe :)

tikeyas_mom
10-13-2007, 03:31 PM
oh now poor Giselle!!! get well soon sweet girl.. I know all to well about dog fights.. As most of you know Baby and Tikeya have been at eachother for years.. Hopfully u dont run into this problem again.. is Giselle a dominant dog? Seems like Ivy may want to be alpha.. I hope that Giselle is feeling better, Keep a close eye on Ivy and Giselles behaviour towards eachother now, because after the first scrap somtimes they will hold grudges about it..

I dont think you should get rid of Ivy tho.. Just keep a close eye.
What kind of dog is Ivy again? male or female? (sorry I havent been on pettalk for a while since the new baby)

Giselle
10-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks all.

Nope, Giselle is the most submissive dog you will ever meet in your life. But because she's kind of airheaded and easy to walk over, both Lucky and Ivy take advantage of her.

Ivy is an 11 month old Doberman/Lab. She is...well...a b*tch. She's very dominant and tries her darned hardest to stay #2. Basically, she's a wanna-be alpha and she's in her "adolescent bully" stage. I've also been keeping in touch with my behaviorist and she's confident that this was a one-time freak accident, so hopefully Gis and Ivy will kiss and make up soon :)

Her drain is out so she should be healing nicely in the next couple of days!