PDA

View Full Version : Underbites

wolfsoul
10-08-2007, 10:49 PM
I was wondering how many people have dogs here with an underbite or an even/level bite.

I didn't realise it was such a problem around here until I started actually looking at every single dog that walks in the door. I'd say that 90% of our dogs have underbite -- and most of them, according to their breed standard, are not supposed to. We usually do atleast two or three goldens a day( but have done up to 10 lol). And in the entire year that I have groomed goldens, only TWO of them have had a normal scissors bite. That's alot of dogs.

Who'd have thunk it? I didn't realise that most dogs out there just didn't have normal bites for their breed. Makes me very interested in the genetics of this. So does anyone here have a dog with an underbite when it shouldn't have one, or maybe the other way around?

wolf_Q
10-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Sydney has a normal bite. Nebo and Keva both have a slight underbite, Keva more than Nebo. Well I think it would be an underbite, the row of small front teeth on the bottom go in front of the row on the top slightly. The rest of the bite is normal. It's not noticeable though.

Aspen and Misty
10-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Konnor's bottom row of teeth come out a lot farther then his top row. It's adorable, but I hope it won't cause him problems later on in life. Maybe I should get him doggie braces, lol.

I didn't answer your poll because Konnor isn't normal for any breed standard ;)

Ashley

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Dance has a normal bite, Morgan has a slight underbite, and I've never checked Winston's. I think his is about normal too though.

3muttsandaboston
10-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Maggie's breed is supposed to have an underbite so I guess she is normal. But Lucy has a severe underbite and none of the breeds she is mixed with are supposed to have underbites.

bckrazy
10-09-2007, 02:49 AM
Both of my boys have scissor bites. =) I suppose I'm lucky.

WELOVESPUPPIES
10-09-2007, 06:05 AM
My Duke has a normal underbite for his breed. Champ has a severe underbite, even though she is a boxer and is suppose to have one, her bottom teeth probably protrude close to an inch beyond her top teeth. Maybe that is why she is the only one that ends up with food on her forehead when she is eating - lol. Chopper has a beautiful scissor bite.

Daisy and Delilah
10-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Daisy has a normal bite and Delilah has an underbite. Unfortunately, Delilah has already had problems with her teeth(extractions)and the vet says there might be more. :(

cloverfdx
10-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Harri (JRT) had quite a bad overbite as a baby puppy, but suprisingly as he matured it has corrected itself and is nearly perfect now. Clover, Elvis and Tinny are all perfect ;).

Canis-Lupess
10-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Our BCs have all had the usual scissor bite. We had one pup out of our Jess that had an overshot jaw and that is it. Neither of the parents had it and there was no other case of overshot jaw in their lines so it would just be one of those mother nature blips no doubt.

cali
10-09-2007, 09:27 AM
all 7 of mine have normal bites. Blair had a slight underbite as a puppy, but it corrected itself.

k9krazee
10-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Kyra has a slight underbite.

lute
10-09-2007, 10:34 AM
All of my dogs have scissor bites. The only dogs I've ever had with an underbite were the English Bulldog/JRT rescue pups I had.

Suki Wingy
10-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Niņo has a scisors bite.

.sarah
10-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Mandy, Nova, and Buck all have scissors bites. Luka has a slight underbite.

jenluckenbach
10-10-2007, 05:35 AM
No dog to report to, but I also see a LOT of dogs with an underbite! (at the grooming shop) I am always amazed at how many have a bad bite.

Alysser
10-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Sassy has a perfect bite.

ramanth
10-11-2007, 11:09 PM
I voted I don't know, but I think my two have normal bites. At least the vet never seems concerned when she checks their teeth.

Is an underbite where the bottom teeth end up behind the front teeth?

Guess I'll check their teeth now... LOL!