PDA

View Full Version : ** If Your Cat {or Pet} Was Choking **

lvpets2002
10-08-2007, 12:25 PM
:) Would you be willing to do mouth to mouth CPR.. This was a question on Animal Planet this weekend when a Cop did mouth to mouth on his K-9 partner.. Well Yes I would do mouth to mouth CPR on my babies or any ones I saw in danger of breathing in a Heart Beat with no questions ask..

catmandu
10-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Without A Second Of Hesitation, As A Cats Mouth , Believe It Or Not Is Cleaner Than A Persons.
I Could Never Live With Myself If I Didnt Try To Save My Cats.

pitc9
10-08-2007, 12:34 PM
100% Yes!!

Catty1
10-08-2007, 12:35 PM
I would - but for choking, is there a "kitty Heimlich"?

Husky_mom
10-08-2007, 12:53 PM
actually China (my black white Siberian) is a CPR dog..... she almost died on me when 4-5 months.....

I had to do anything humanely possible to bring her back(heimlich/shake/CPR) ..... and she came back!!
she was already blue, pupils gone huge and unactive.... body completely loose.... she had just quit trying.....

but I was there fo her no matter what......

and what did the choke on?..... on food...... she was eating as usual...... and WHAM!!..... she did used to gobble up, not she is a bit slower but still a gobbler.....

so my answer is yes!!

krazyaboutkatz
10-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Of course I would.

Flatcoatluver
10-08-2007, 12:57 PM
No thought about it, yes. I had to take a pet first aid class for work. So if I have to do it to strange dogs, of course I am going to save my own pets life.

WELOVESPUPPIES
10-08-2007, 01:10 PM
MOST DEFINATELY...

I had to perform CPR on a rabbit I had in my late teens. He actually had a heart attack from fear ( no choking) and stopped breathing. He was about 3 months old. I gave him CPR and he made it.

I could not live with myself if I did not try absolutely everything for my babies.

Laura's Babies
10-08-2007, 01:22 PM
I think anuone of us here would without a thought. We see them as part of our family and that is all there is to it!

Donnaj4962
10-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Absolutely.... 100% YES! Of course I would, without even thinking about it!

Years ago, I had a hamster.... Theodore. He lived to be 9 years old! Really! And when he was 7, he must have had a heart attack of something. I did CPR on his widdle heart, and he came back to life and lived another few years!

By the way... that police officer and his partner, then live about an hour north of me, in Ligonier Indiana! Very cool that he is getting all this notoriety! But then, I think that all of us on here would do the same thing! After all, they ARE our babies!

Pawla
10-08-2007, 01:40 PM
I would do it for any dog or cat, not just my own!

Squeak was using my toothbrush last week, so I don't think I'd be too grossed out by it. :p

cassiesmom
10-08-2007, 01:50 PM
You know what? I don't know how I would give CPR to an animal. Is there a Heimlich maneuver for a choking animal? I would definitely try, though.

Barbara
10-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Sure I would.
I am happy to see that for one time only one option in the poll is chosen :D

Medusa
10-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I would but if it wasn't my cat, I'd be nervous about it. To say that a cat's or a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's is, in my opinion, a bit of a stretch. Their tongues are not only their wash cloths but their toilet paper, too. It's doubtful that we can contract much from a cat or a dog and vice versa but if it's bacterial, for instance, if a cat killed something and later contracted salmonella, we might be able to contract it as well. My cats, however, are indoor cats, so I'd feel pretty safe about it.

phesina
10-08-2007, 06:57 PM
There is a variation of the Heimlich maneuver for a choking dog or cat. I've seen demonstrations but don't know the exact steps. I think the pressure is applied to the side of the animal's chest rather than straight down on it, though I'm not sure.

I just Googled "cat dog first aid heimlich maneuver" and got loads of listings, so the information is not hard to find.

You know what? I don't know how I would give CPR to an animal. Is there a Heimlich maneuver for a choking animal? I would definitely try, though.

ramanth
10-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Absolutely. I even took a Pet First Aid class to learn how to do it properly. :)

RedHedd
10-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Of course I would!

P.S. The word is "choking"

smokey the elder
10-09-2007, 02:37 PM
I would do it. I heard of someone who gave a kitten CPR and he had to do the compressions with his pinky, the kitten was so small. (It made it, by the way!)