PDA

View Full Version : Working with a Head-Shy dog?

critter crazy
10-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Brutus, is very Head-shy. He is especially head-shy around men, you can barely notice it with my son or I. So My question is, how do we get him to the point where he is no loger Head-Shy?? Or is this something he will alwasy do?? We suspect he was hit, by his male owner:( . My hubby does not push him, and lets Brutus come to him when he is comfortable. But he still reacts when hubby just moves his hand, when not directed at brutus. for instance if hubby is reaching for something, and Brutus is right there, he will duck his head, and move away. It breaks my heart to see him like this, I have never dealt with a dog like this, and want to see him a happy onfident boy. any suggestions?

Also, because of this behavior, hubby cannot do anything with brutus. He cannot attach a lead, or take him out to potty. I always have to do it, cause Brutus will not let hubby get close enough to him.

Canis-Lupess
10-07-2007, 11:17 AM
It's a case of time. If he's new to the house, I'm sure he'll get better as time goes on.

With his food, try splitting it into small portions and have only your hubby feed him for the next few weeks. Set a portion aside to use as treats and only your hubby is to give him treat and train him to obey simple commands in order to earn his treats. He'll learn to start associating him with nice things and his trust will start to increase and obeying the commands will retain his respect for your hubby also.
You can do the commands yourself but don't reward with treats...just a fuss. Treats only come from Hubby for now.

Animalhouse26
10-07-2007, 11:25 AM
My suggestion would be to also have hubby do all the training, and all the affections. If Brutus needs to potty, have hubby take him out.. and use LOTS of YUMMY Food. You will have to try to step back, don't show any affections to him, don't feed him.. Let hubby be "Main" Caretaker I guess.. And then Brutus may get the idea, that this man isn't bad, but is how he gets his tummy full, and gets his affections. Maybe put the leash on him *till brutus gets better* But let hubby walk him alone. Find something Brutus is SOOOOO Excited to eat. Hot dogs, Cheese, W/e... and make in small peices, and have him use that.

Good luck! And it will take time!

critter crazy
10-07-2007, 01:36 PM
So you all are saying I should just back off, and let hubby do the training? Makes sense to me. I told hubby this and he is starting to do this as we speak. He took Brutus out to go potty, brought him back in, and was able to geta few pats in as well. I have stayed out of the picture, and just observed from a distance.

so this is the weekend, while hubby is at work, I would take control, but when hubby come home I just pass the control over to him?? Am I understanding this correctly? Just dont want to mess any of this up.:)

DrKym
10-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Mags........... yes, turn it over to him! Do what needs to be done so there are no accidents in the house. When hubby comes home it is his issue to deal with. :cool:

critter crazy
10-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Mags........... yes, turn it over to him! Do what needs to be done so there are no accidents in the house. When hubby comes home it is his issue to deal with. :cool:

Okay! Glad i understood, sometimes I can be a bit daft! he he he he!! So far things are working well. Brutus still shys away initially, but his stomache overcomes him, and he is doing good. Time is all he needs. :)

I truly appreciate the help guys. Brutus thanks you all as well! Plenty of Rotti kisses comming your way!:D

DrKym
10-07-2007, 02:08 PM
After 22 yrs with Rotties breeding showing etc. I have yet to truly see a bad one, they are so amazing in their love and their devotion! He will turn around faster than you think! He wants nothing more than to please and be pleased with his pack they are a very easy breed. A bit tough as pups for housetraining as they think they are born knowing it all :D but then don't all kids?

btw...........................
WELCOME BRUTUS!!!!!! take care of your amazing Mom for us here in Illinois! I am certain she found and so did you a wonderful and long life together!!!

critter crazy
10-07-2007, 02:15 PM
After 22 yrs with Rotties breeding showing etc. I have yet to truly see a bad one, they are so amazing in their love and their devotion! He will turn around faster than you think! He wants nothing more than to please and be pleased with his pack they are a very easy breed. A bit tough as pups for housetraining as they think they are born knowing it all :D but then don't all kids?

btw...........................
WELCOME BRUTUS!!!!!! take care of your amazing Mom for us here in Illinois! I am certain she found and so did you a wonderful and long life together!!!

Oh yes I agree! They are such great dogs, Brutus is now my third! He he he he! Our first Rotti was Male Agressive, our second was dog/cat agressive and now Bruus with his shyness. I have learned so much with these dogs, and they are so very eager to please! And all our previous dogs did turn around completey very quickly! It is amazing how just a bit of love, and care affects thes great dogs so much. they just want nothing but to love you, and to be loved By you.

DrKym
10-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Sorry Mags was trying to read but got lost in the Rottie Kissies........................................... . :p

critter crazy
10-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Sorry Mags was trying to read but got lost in the Rottie Kissies........................................... . :p

LOL!!!:D

Dorothy39
10-08-2007, 11:07 AM
It's so good to "see" that Brutus is starting to trust being around men~

Keep up the Good Work!!!!! It's Amazing what a little love and patience will do. :cool:

critter crazy
10-08-2007, 11:51 AM
What a huge difference a few Days can make!! Brutus came up to hubby last night on his own, and laid his head in his lap looking for pats!! I was just beside myself with joy! Hubby had a huge smile on his face!:D Hubby has been doing great with working with Brutus, and it is already paying off! Thank you all for the Fabulous help! Brutus thanks you!!:D

Daisy and Delilah
10-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Brutus is one handsome dude. I'm happy to meet this wonderful fella :)