PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have your nails done?

moosmom
10-05-2007, 04:09 PM
I started having my nails done a while ago. First it was synthetic then gel. I loved the way it looked and I could wear my grandmother's wedding ring. But then I noticed that after having it done for so long, my nails became pitted and paper thin. To the point where it actually hurt when they filed them down. I finally had to stop having them done to allow them to heal.

I got Sally Hansen's Maximum Growth in a frosty mauve. Not only does it make my nails stronger, it makes them look nice while they heal.

Has this happened to anyone? I used to have them done in Michigan and they were never that bad.

critter crazy
10-05-2007, 04:31 PM
I used to get my nails done too, and had the same thing happen so I stopped as well. I realy do like the way they look. I have been thinking about getting them done again! :D

cassiesmom
10-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Not my fingernails. But at the beginning of the summer I went and got a pedicure. I was invited to an anniversary party and I wanted to wear cute sandals. My toes looked great, and the pedicure lasted a good two weeks. It was worth it. I might do that again next summer!

critter crazy
10-05-2007, 05:20 PM
As a side note, I just went and looked on-line as i had never heard of Gel Nails! Hmmm....I wonder if anyone around here does them?? they sound nice! I have always had acrylics! Never knew there was anything else out there!

Are gel nails thinner?? If they are, I realy need to get some, cause that was one of the reasons why I stopped acrylics, the thickness bothered me, along with the hell they put my real nails through!

Taz_Zoee
10-05-2007, 05:28 PM
I have had acrylic nails for almost 20 years (May of 08 will be 20). I got them put on in high school for my brother's wedding and never stopped.
My nails are paper thin, but I don't have the pain like you were talking about. But my nails were thin to begin with and I was a nail biter.
I can't imagine not having nails and I dread the day if/when it ever happens.

I have known people who have had gel and I haven't heard of that happening to them. Sometimes people are allergic to some of the chemicals used. That may be what happened with you and that's what caused the pain. :confused:

moosmom
10-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Critter Crazy,

Acrylic nails are painted on and dried. The nail gel goes over your actual nail and they have to "bake" it. The nail gel is REAAAAAAALLY thick and has to be applied in layers and baked (dried) in layers. It's more expensive. But having done both I can actually compare them. The Acrylic ones seem to stay on better in the long run.

Cassies Mom,

A pedicure??? That sounds wonderful! Maybe I'll try that next. :p :rolleyes: :D

Freedom
10-05-2007, 05:32 PM
I spend my money on rescues. :rolleyes:

critter crazy
10-05-2007, 05:33 PM
The nail gel goes over your actual nail and they have to "bake" it. The nail gel is REAAAAAAALLY thick and has to be applied in layers and baked (dried) in layers. It's more expensive. But having done both I can actually compare them. The Acrylic ones seem to stay on better in the long run.

Hmmm.....gosh cause the way they described them on-line they were way different.....

Benefits of Gel Nails:
1) Odorless
2) Natural Feeling
3) Thin
4) Flexible
5) Crystal Clear
6) Light Weight
7) Natural looking
8) No lifting!

WHAT ARE GEL NAILS?
The short answer: GEL NAILS are an extremely natural-looking enhancement: thin, clear, flexible, non-yellowing, nonporous, resist lifting. Gel nails can be used for natural nail overlays (actually one of the most difficult techniques--but it looks the easiest), tip overlays, and sculpted onto forms for short extensions, and to help encapsulate a damaged free-edge as it grows out.

http://www.nailsplash.com/gelnails.html#what

cali
10-05-2007, 07:16 PM
not to run it in anysone face but...my long, thick white claws are all natural , I dont need to get my nails done :p lol

Karen
10-05-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm allergic to nail polish, so have never had my nails done, as I'd not survive the fumes without and oxygen mask. And my nails are fine the way they are, I think I'd be worried about my nails if I has "stuff" on them, and life is too busy for more worries!

Twisterdog
10-05-2007, 10:28 PM
I had my nails done once. It looked awesome. But it drove my crazy. I was always catching them on something, and working was very difficult. It lasted a couple of days, and I took them off. Never done it since. Guess I'm just more of a natural nail girl.

Giselle
10-05-2007, 10:34 PM
I used to have these:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LSophie/The%20People/China/IMG_6625.jpg

Yep, those are hand-painted flowers, and the nails + the paint job + the charm equaled about 40 USD. I took them off as soon as I flew back home, though :D

krazyaboutkatz
10-06-2007, 12:29 AM
I've never had my nails done. I like the natural look and I also prefer to have short nails. My nails grow fairly fast and I have to trim them about every other week. I also work with my hands so long nails would just get in the way.:)

Pam
10-06-2007, 05:34 AM
I do medical transcription and I find that I just can't type with fake nails. I have tried them once or twice. Several of the girls I work with have them but they are just not for me. Once I watched one of my co-workers try to do the catch on her necklace and she was unable to do it because of her long nails. My quick thought was that they made her handicapped. :p

catnapper
10-06-2007, 07:12 AM
All natural here. I keep them at a nice short length but long enough to see white tips peeking out.

I don't even put a clear polish over them (I tried a ton of them -- they all peeled or chipped the day I put them on!) So now I just rub hand cream on them every time I wash my hands.

BitsyNaceyDog
10-06-2007, 07:20 AM
My nails are short, short, short. I just don't like the feel of long nails, real or artificial. I've gotten artificial nails twice though, for my prom and for my wedding.

cyber-sibes
10-06-2007, 07:23 AM
I thought about nails, but they would really bug me. I don't think I could work with long nails. Catnapper - the only polish I've ever found that lasts more than a day without chipping are the Sally Hanson "Hard as Nails" polishes. I use polish whenever I'm trying to grow them out a bit (I tend to bite them off during stressful times)

buttercup132
10-06-2007, 07:39 AM
I like the way they look but it's hard to type and food gets stuck under them and I can't get it out :o. Not to mention the major pain of getting the off.
I like that they last for so long though and are very strong.

jackie
10-06-2007, 08:00 AM
I had both gel and acrylics for years, but like Moosmom, I had a lot of nail damage. Now I just keep my nails a little longer then average, and french manicure then when I get the time.

The best thing I found for my nails is to rub Vaseline into them, under the tips and into the cuticles, every night before bed. Really strong and shiny.

jackie
10-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Critter Crazy,

Acrylic nails are painted on and dried. The nail gel goes over your actual nail and they have to "bake" it. The nail gel is REAAAAAAALLY thick and has to be applied in layers and baked (dried) in layers. It's more expensive. But having done both I can actually compare them. The Acrylic ones seem to stay on better in the long run.

You need to find a new nail tech. My gel nails we really thin and light.

I went to a different salon once in a pinch, and she put the gel on way too thick, and they looked like bricks.

RedHedd
10-06-2007, 10:52 AM
not to run it in anysone face but...my long, thick white claws are all natural , I don't need to get my nails done :p lol Me too. I'm fanatical about my nails - take Biotin, use cuticle oil and lotions/creams a lot. I follow the regimen prescribed by the gals on the Makeupalley.com nail board. My nails have never been better. They're polished at all times and the polish stays on, doesn't chip. The trick is using good quality products (a good basecoat and topcoat are key), a glass file, not using my nails as tools.

My boss gave me a gift certificate for a mani-pedi at a local spa for my birthday. It's a nice gesture and I know I'll use it, but I really do prefer doing my own - it's a twice weekly healing ritual for me. It's ME time - I'm so worth it and so are you! ;)

P.S. The fakes (gels, acrylics, etc.) damage your nails horribly. The healing/repair time can be very long. I've never had fakes (never had to; I've always had good REAL nails) and would never want them.

Babyboonie
10-06-2007, 11:38 AM
I am very rarely without my nails done - mainly because my own nails are just so thin and break really easily through years and years of nail biting. I've had both gel and acrylic and didn't like either. Gel seem to include lots of filing and then being "baked" and to my acrylic ones are too thick and heavy. My nail lady does fiberglass and these are much better. They let the nail breathe underneath and don't cause any damage to the nail bed. They stay on real good too - usually last me 3 weeks unless I get maintenance and they last twice that. Costs about Ģ25, including an American manicure (slightly softer than the French manicure).

Edwina's Secretary
10-06-2007, 03:16 PM
I am lucky with naturally strong nails. I have them polished but cut and shape them myself. It is very inexpensive here and they can do a better job (I did my own most the time until moving here.) Usually... :rolleyes:

I have a pedicure once a month. I have finally started having the "flower with fake gems" on my big toe. It is a SoCal thing.... :D :D

I cringe though if I have to sit next to someone getting fakes put on. The drill, etc. makes me nervous!

Barbara
10-07-2007, 09:42 AM
I never had fake nails. I think the glue they need will always attack your real nails and I'm not surprised they become very thin- which at our age can be a problem anyway, Donna.

But in the US I sometimes get the polish on- when I went to visit Sara we both had painted flowers on our big toes- loved that.
Around here it is so much more expensive I rather do it myself. Even managed a French manicure- I love that :)

moosmom
10-07-2007, 10:01 AM
When I was working as a paralegal, I needed to type fast and accurate, so I couldn't wear them. To me they seemed "cumbersome".

Now that I don't type anymore, I like my hands to look nice. I used to be a nailbiter waaaay back when. Then I got married and used "Nailicure" by Cutex to stop biting them, and it worked!! They have since discontinued it. It was the best stuff on the market.

I now have my natural nails with Sally Hansen's "Maximum Growth" on them. It works wonders for damaged nails. I'm going to give my nails a LOOOOONG break before I ever do that to them again. :(

Babyboonie
10-07-2007, 11:06 AM
I use a computer practically all day every day...and so far haven't found any problems. As i said before the fiberglass ones seem to be more lightweight than acrylic and gel (not to mention last longer). To be, it now feels strange typing without them on!! I think it largely depends on the length you have them cut to. As I've been a nail biter ever since being a child, I don't have mine very long like some do, I prefer to be able to still use my fingers for things i.e. earrings, necklaces and of course making a fuss of my animals without digging a nail in their bellies by mistake!!!

Like Aylissa (sorry for bad spelling!), I do have trouble with getting food and other stuff such as sawdust etc stuck underneath....but it's easy to get it out with thin objects!

carole
10-07-2007, 08:53 PM
I am somewhat ashamed to admit it, but i have been a nail biter since i was eight years old, i have managed to grow them on occasions, but i have very thin nails, and very small as well, maybe due to my disgusting habit, I am so embarrased by the state of them and cringe at trying rings on in any jewellery shop, those fake ones seem a great alternative, however when i have managed to grow them a little i find them annoying, i guess i am so used to not having any,gosh i sure wish i could break the habit once and for all, any ideas? tryed everything., I like to be feminine and i feel having such awful nails or lack of them :o is not at all feminine.

ilovemypup
10-07-2007, 08:56 PM
I think it would be creepy if I have my nails done...
I never would tho.. I bite them constantly!

dukedogsmom
10-07-2007, 09:02 PM
I LOVE my acrylic nails! It's so nice to have long, pretty nails. And I have no problem typing. My real nails are already paper thin anyway so I can't grow them on my own. I've had acrylics for years now. I've got a great nail tech. Dare I say she doesn't speak a foreign language while I'm there? That was a big pet peeve of mine before I found here a few years ago. That is just plain rude. Plus, I found out most of those places use dental powder instead of the proper nail powder because it's a lot cheaper. They just pour the powder into the nail powder containers.

Husky_mom
10-08-2007, 12:02 PM
I had this great long natural nails.... not as thick but good.... until baby came :rolleyes: ..... and since iīve ALWAYS wore long nail i was useless without them so i went acrylic.....

I feel your pain Donna.... the thing is they use the dremel sooooo much so they leave you with this paper thin nails..... and they hurt..... if they keep a bit longer they will bleed...... so i just tell them not to dremel.... even if they donīt last as long..... I HATE that pain!!..... and about taking them off....OMG!!..... they are like ripping you off of them... so I bette do that on my own.... just a lil pure acetone and patience... I better take a longer while taking them off that let them yank them from me...... they donīt care, they are not their nail and they donīt feel our pain....

I have done my nail by myself a couple times too.... right now Iīm in teh process off ones of Pirete theme I did myself.... haha and making some new ones of cat design......

i love my piggy
10-09-2007, 01:05 PM
I've only gotten my nails done twice at a salon. I do my nails myself. My favorite is the french pedicure. Don't use the stickers, do it freehand. It turns out much better!