PDA

View Full Version : Carpal Tunnel? Update post 14!!!! Help?

Trinityagain
10-05-2007, 09:49 AM
It isn't bad enough that I have had 5 surgeries for Trigger Finger so far with another in the future..now there is a good chance that I have carpal tunnel in my right wrist as well. It has been going numb fo a while but last week I couldn't use the mouse at work for more than about 5 seconds before the hand would be completely numb. Went to the doctor yesterday and I have an appt Monday at 8 (YUCK!) for the nerve conductivity test....what fun....has anyone dealt with this? Any advice?

Grace
10-05-2007, 10:33 AM
I have Carpal Tunnel in both wrists. I wear splints to bed at night, and that pretty much takes care of things. Could you wear a splint, and still be able to work? Or just wear one when it is the worst?

Freedom
10-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Once you are diagnosed, the company HAS to accomodate you.

I worked one place where the company HAD to get voice activated software for the woman who had carpal tunnel in both wrists. She has the splints but the doctor wrote that she could NOT do constant computer work. I wasn't in her department, so I don't know all the ins and outs of how this developed.

Something to think about!

Lilith Cherry
10-05-2007, 11:15 AM
I have had CTS surgery on both sides and it made such a difference! It really wasn't bad at all and the recovery time was quite short for most things except grasping heavy things; typing was okay. If you have it in both hands though don't let them do both at once -- it can have embarrasing consequences :p for personal hygiene!

Cataholic
10-05-2007, 11:59 AM
I had it in one wrist, and would do it all again in a heartbeat!

As to whether a company has to accomodate you or not, while I recognize there may be some oddities in state laws, my experience has been that unless you are disabled, in accordance with the ADA, there really isn't a 'law' that says someone must accomodate your situation.

The term "reasonable accomodation" is linked to the ADA, not to anyone's statement of their general condition.

Trinityagain
10-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Where I work has been extremely accomodating. I actually think I would be handling it better if it hurt. But it doesn't hurt, my hand just goes completely numb....which kind of scares me a little :eek:

As I said, I've had 5 trigger finger surgeries and from the way the carpal tunnel surgery was described it is the same idea, just in the wrist instead of the hand itself....guess I'll see huh?

thanks for the information!

RedHedd
10-05-2007, 02:23 PM
I've had the nerve test and am being tested again next week. It's not too awful, but can be surprising. It feels like tiny pin prick shocks.

Laura's Babies
10-05-2007, 08:41 PM
I have it and it comes and goes and has for many years. I wear the brace as much as I can for a few days or overnight and that usually takes care of it.

Toby's my baby
10-06-2007, 06:21 PM
I've dealt with it. I broke my arm 3 years ago riding horse, and after it was healed, my hand was numb most of the time, and very cold. I had an EMG and a nerve test, and my nerves were actually dieing, FAST. So, I went in the very next day for carpal tunnel surgery. The surgery did NOT make my hand not numb anymore, or stop it from being cold, it just made is so the nerves weren't dieing. I had another problem though, my bones or something was pinching my nerves. I endured 5 more EMG's (electromyogram) and nerve tests. Finally I had another surgery where they put tubes around my nerves, and that has solved the numbness problem, but I still have great pain when I need to write/ take notes/ etc.

The EMG's are not fun, usually when you have the little prickly needle thing, you also get the one where they shove needles into your muscle, move it around, and then shove it in deeper, THEN moving it 3 inches and doing it over again .. . all the way up to your arm pit. . :o

I would have the surgery again though, because it stopped the death of my nerves, it was an outpatient surgery, and, the recovery time is very fast. I was in a wrap for about a week, and was able to do mostly everything on my own.

Good luck, let us know how it goes! :)

Trinityagain
10-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Well I can say it was not terrible, but it is also not something I would recommend doing just for the fun of it. The right hand is the problem, he did the shocks in both hands to have something to compare...big surprise...I have carpal tunnel in BOTH wrists, the left one is just starting...so I guess the next step is talking to my surgeon and go from there...yippee.....

4 Dog Mother
10-08-2007, 09:59 AM
My dad is 89 and just had it done to my wrists but a month apart. He is doing fine. I have been told I need it but they were checking for something else when they found it and it doesn't both me so I will wait to have anything done.

Trinityagain
10-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Another question for those who have had the surgery: what was the recovery time? I am trying to wait until I am off for the winter break (I work at a University) but I don't know that I can go another 2 months with this. I can't hold a pen or anything without my hand going all numb and tingly......

Toby's my baby
10-12-2007, 07:51 PM
The recovery time is very short. I could still write I think if I recall right, with the cast on, and I only had my cast for about a week and a half. After the cast came off I could pretty much do anything.

Trinityagain
10-19-2007, 10:39 AM
I met with the surgeon this morning. I am scheduled for surgery Friday November 16. I will be taking the 16-23 off from job number 1, and the 2 weekends in the middle off from job number 2. My question for those who have had the surgery: does that seem like enough time?

Queen of Poop
10-19-2007, 10:48 AM
I had carpal tunnel surgery when I was 26, I'm now almost 42. They only did my left hand as it was the worst. I had lost all feeling in my hand, I regained my hot/cold sensation but suffer some nerve damage. I can be holding a fork one minute, next it's lying in my plate. The surgery only took 20 minutes and I was awake for it. I was off work for 6 weeks. Could do nothing with my hand for the first 4 weeks, then some exercises for the last 2 weeks. It was great for 3 months, then I had a recurrence. Now both hands are affected and I am not a candidate for further surgery as the first one did not work. I now use a split keyboard, each half set at almost 90 degrees upright. I also use a track ball mouse as I cannot hold a regular mouse without my hand going to sleep. I take herbal anti inflammatories as the prescription ones make me very sick.

I wish you well with your surgery, which is scheduled for my birthday.

Grace
03-27-2009, 11:04 AM
I met with the surgeon this morning. I am scheduled for surgery Friday November 16. I will be taking the 16-23 off from job number 1, and the 2 weekends in the middle off from job number 2. My question for those who have had the surgery: does that seem like enough time?

So how did your surgery and recovery go?

I had my left hand done this morning, and wiil have the right one done in the fall.

pomtzu
03-27-2009, 12:15 PM
So how did your surgery and recovery go?

I had my left hand done this morning, and wiil have the right one done in the fall.

I had my right done about 15 years ago - piece of cake! Surgery was on a Thursday or Friday, and I was back to my computer job on Monday - in a splint. But it was so uncomfortable to work in, and I couldn't write or even read my own writing, that I just took it off at work. Don't remember of any problems from doing that. ;)

kokopup
03-27-2009, 12:51 PM
I have all the symptoms of Carpal Tunnel but my problem originates in my neck at my Brachial plexus. I have numb shoulders and a streak of numbness all the way into both hands. Mine is not correctable by surgery because of the complexity of the Brachial plexus. They say surgery might help the pain but it would probably make the other problems worst.The nerves are starving for a supply of blood and are slowly dieing. This causes progressive weakness in my hands and arms that will get worst over time. I have been through the EMG and conduction test way to many times. Good luck on you surgery. If it can be corrected go for it.

Trinityagain
03-27-2009, 03:24 PM
My surgery went fine and I have had no problems at all since then. The first one was November 2007 and the second was May 2008. And with the second one I also had another trigger thumb released....yeah I'm a glutton for punishment.....I recommend it to anyone who is even considering it. The recovery is a heck of a lot easier to get thru than the pain/numbness from the condition itself in my opinion...

RedHedd
03-27-2009, 03:48 PM
I had carpal tunnel surgery last year - best thing I've done for myself in a long time. I highly recommend it. Mine was a small, endoscopic surgery. Scar is less than 1/2" long and almost invisible. Am considering having the other hand done too. Down time was minimal - no more numbness and tingling while driving or drying my hair and I can use my hand without pain!

Grace
03-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Nice to hear all the good news. The splint is driving me nuts when typing - and I have to wear it until Thursday!

I had the traditional surgery - not the scope. I have absolutely NO pain. It's just awkward.

Medusa
03-28-2009, 12:06 PM
I know 3 people who have had the surgery. One says it's the best thing she ever did, one said it's the worst and the other said she went out to lunch after the surgery and could easily hold and control the utensils. So I guess it boils down to your surgeon's skills maybe?