PDA

View Full Version : Only dog people would be this crazy...or should I say stupid?

Crikit
08-04-2002, 09:19 PM
Okay so it's the August long weekend in Alberta which means it's time for the annual dog show down at Shouldice park. It's cool Shouldice is a big athletic park and they sort of separate it in to different parts for different things. They have the camping section, the show dog section and my personal fave the agility/camping section. Last year was my first time there for the agility trails, it was actually mine and Smudges first trail and it lasted all four days.

This year however instead of having a four day NADAC trial they decided to do a two day NADAC and two day CKC trail...that's a little bit of a touchy issue with a bunch of agility people but I won't go in to it. Anyhoo the NADAC trail was held on Friday and Saturday, and of course I was in it with the royal couple but I'll talk about that later.

Here's where the dog people are crazy, normally the weather in Calgary at this time of the year is in the 20's (celcius) so it's nice and warm...the dogs don't always enjoy it but the people do. This year however due to some cruel joke or an arctic ridge of pressure whatever you prefer, the high so far this weekend has been a lovely 12-14 degrees if it was just chilly we could live but on top of the chill it's been cloudy, and raining all weekend, in otherwords the dogs are loving it...and the people are letting them.

I never thought I would have to wear my winter jacket in the middle of the summer, but I did. Just so like many others so I could get my runs in at the trial, it was actually almost amusing to see us all decked out in toques and gloves walking the courses and holding cups of hot drinks in our hands, and it was the same thing on the other side of the park...at least I think it was I only went over there a couple of times to get food and pick up goodies for the dogs....Winter was spoiled this weekend :) I would have gone over more but the agility dogs weren't allowed on the other side unless they were being shown (that was also a touchy issue). On Friday it was raining so bad that more then half of the novice dogs myself included scracthed from the two regular rounds (Smudge doesn't like to get wet..I know he's part water dog and he's supposed to like the water but you guys tell him that I'm not about to. Besides knowing me I would have fallen and that would have just sucked.) and then the club that was hosting the trial postponed the jumpers till the next day...however at that time I didn't care because I was in papillion heaven with my friends four climbing over or cuddling up to me.

Now for the results.

I had both dogs in this one, Winter was only in four events though, hence why she got spoiled...can you say mommy was feeling quilty?

Well they both qualified, Winter in Gamblers...she was awesome in it, put Smudge to shame, and Smudge in the first round regular round...his first q ever for that. :D then Smudge was ten faults shy of q'ing in both jumpers round and the second round...it was ten faults for each round oh well we'll get them next time. And yes I once again made a fool of myself by tripping over the tunnel rope and then standing up and getting completly lost in the weavers course.

One more thing...Dad came home on Thursday :D :D :D :D :D

Cincy'sMom
08-05-2002, 08:11 AM
Congrats for qualifing! Sounds like it was a good weekend despite the cool temps!

Glad to hear your dad is home!

sottice
08-05-2002, 08:52 AM
Sounds like quite a weekend! :) Congratulations on qualifying. I wish you could send some cool weather down here. It's been around 100 degrees farenhiet here for a couple of weeks.

Dixieland Dancer
08-05-2002, 09:21 AM
I prefer the cooler show to the hotter ones. It is easy to get warm but hard to cool down. We had a show a few weeks ago and the temps were in the mid 90's and everyone was miserable.

Congratulations to the pups for having fun and getting some qualifying runs. :D

RfarmAndKennel
08-05-2002, 08:09 PM
yelp,, only us pet folk!! But what a fine life we have for it ehhhhh! No better friend to do it with ether ;)! Congratulations on the runs, and best wishes for more!
Kim

~"... and I whispered to the horse; trust no man
in whose eye you don't see yourself reflected as an equal.
" Don Vincenzo Giobbe, circa 1700~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
R Farm & Kennel (http://www.rfarm-kennel.com)