PDA

View Full Version : For Better or Worse Oct 4 - is Getting Better the best thing?

Catty1
10-04-2007, 10:06 AM
http://www.uclick.com/feature/07/10/04/fb071004.gif

shais_mom
10-04-2007, 11:28 AM
this is the only comic that I read faithfully. I'm going to be so disappointed when she retires...
Her comic is so true to life, I love it.

gini
10-04-2007, 11:32 AM
I follow this cartoon too - every morning. I love all of the characters - they feel like family and you care about every one of them.

She said that she will be "wrapping things up" so we get to know what happens with each one. Looks like she is dealing with Grandpa Jim now.

Next will be Elizabeth - what do you think will happen there? Will she marry her highschool boyfriend? I hope not -

Catty1
10-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Actually, Staci - I read an article on her 'retiring'. What is actually happening is that the older strips are going to be in "rerun", which I like because I can catch up on the family history.

Lynn (the artist) introduced this by having Mike's little girl going through a photo album and asking who all the people were (grandparents, etc), and Mike tells her stories in flashback.

That is the "retirement" - the older strips mostly, with some newer ones added - like today's.

So that's the good news - Lynn still gets a way lighter workload, and we get to keep reading! :)

Cookiebaker
10-04-2007, 11:35 AM
this is the only comic that I read faithfully. I'm going to be so disappointed when she retires...
Her comic is so true to life, I love it.

Yup, me too. I don't really like the new hybrid that she is doing, either.

As far as Catty's question, I am going to draw from personal experience from my dearest Mom in law. She was diagnosed with cancer in '98 and given up to 2 years to live. We were not at all ready to let her go. But after watching fight battle after battle, when she was ready we knew it was time to let her go. So it is on an individual basis, I think. You know in your heart when the time is right...You know when they have quality of life, and when they don't.

Logan
10-04-2007, 11:55 AM
God works in mysterious ways sometime. My grandmother had a massive stroke and the decision was made not to have any heroics and let her damaged body pass on. She didn't. She never was "Nannie" again, but she was ok. Just a lesson in "you never know". She lived for another year after her stroke.

shais_mom
10-04-2007, 01:27 PM
God works in mysterious ways sometime. My grandmother had a massive stroke and the decision was made not to have any heroics and let her damaged body pass on. She didn't. She never was "Nannie" again, but she was ok. Just a lesson in "you never know". She lived for another year after her stroke.
my grandpa was the same way.
He had dementia and had been in a nursing home for a few years than between Christmas and New Years of 1999, he had a massive brain stem stroke. The dr said it was only a matter of time and he was given days to live. My grandma opted to put a feeding tube in (which hindsite she says she would never do again), he was in the hospital most of the month of Jan, which during that time we waited for the call every day. That call didn't come until December of 2000. He lived almost a year to the day. It was hard but seeings that he was never really Grandpa in the last several years, it wasn't as hard as losing my other grandparents, who were very active. I think his being in the nursing home with dementia, and the stroke, helped us as a family transition to him not really being here with us.

Actually, Staci - I read an article on her 'retiring'. What is actually happening is that the older strips are going to be in "rerun", which I like because I can catch up on the family history.
yup I read that too.