PDA

View Full Version : Hunter wants IN so bad! *UPDATE*

Laura's Babies
10-04-2007, 09:26 AM
This is so heartbreaking! Every night, this is what he does..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM3333.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM3334.jpg

He is so sweet and I go out every day and make sure I spend time with him, holding him and loving him. Samantha sits at the door and begs me to let him in but at night I have to close the door or this is what he does.. It just breaks my heart! How can people do this to their sweet cats? Just dump them like they are nothing!

I have him a place fixed up out there, a really large litter box with something soft to lay on and covered in plastic with something to stick out on the top to keep the rain out. I put his food in there and that is where he goes to eat. I have never heard back from Cat Haven about having him fixed or them possiably taking him. I just don't know what to do with him..... With things finally seeming to settle down with Boo, I don't want to upset things by bringing him in the house.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM3325.jpg
The lady that mows my grass said the manager knows he is in the park, has seen him but didn't say anything.. I am hoping having Toby has softened his heart about trapping and taking him to the pound. He stays on my patio all the time, does not wander off anywhere but being unaltered.. we know that will change soon as a female comes in heat somewhere around here... Anyone want a real sweetheart? (I am due to go back to work next week... what happens to him then?)

Pawsitive Thinking
10-04-2007, 09:35 AM
I would have to open that door...

catmandu
10-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Thats A Hard Decision To Have To Make Laura, As Thats How I Now Have 11 Cats As I Cant Say No.
I Do Hope And Pray That That Poor Lonely Cat Can Find A Furr Ever Home, Before He Starts To Wander And Something Bad Happens To Him
I Love That Photos Of Thomas Raising His Paw And Saying May I Come In

Pllllleeeeaaaaaasssee!
Im Lonesome.

Freedom
10-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Oh Laura, how can you NOT let him in??? Can't he have a room by himself, so Boo doesn't get upset again?

Catty1
10-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey - need some $ for a neuter? It wouldn't be that expensive! Let us know!

Pawla
10-04-2007, 10:54 AM
BLESS HIS LITTLE HEART! I'd have to let him in also.

lvpets2002
10-04-2007, 11:01 AM
;) Awee Laura he is so Sweet & Adorable.. Yup I would let him in.. Can you put him in the garage maybe..

gini
10-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Can you have the woman that mows your lawn come over and feed him while you are away?

I would have a terrible time with making a decision about letting him in...........
and I would probably let him in.

Catty1
10-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Would Nancy do a quick follow-up to see what Boo would think about a porch orphan???

I have no income right now...but I can squeak a bit to you to help with neutering.

And I think a couple of other folks would as well!

Would your lawn-mower lady foster him? Or the manager? ;)

Logan
10-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Oh Laura, he needs to go inside, somewhere. What a sweetheart. :( I know your dilemma, though, especially knowing that you will be gone for a month. Surely there is someone who could at least continue to feed him and provide fresh bedding for him, and of course, play with him a bit. I would want to let him come inside, too.

Good luck to you, Hunter, and Laura. I wish I could help. I would be glad to help financially, though, if the neutering could happen before you leave. Let us know, Laura.

Logan

krazyaboutkatz
10-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Laura, He sure is a sweetheart. I'd also be a letting him in but I know your situation with Boo and that you'll be leaving to work again soon. Please try to find some one to look after him while you're away. He really does need to be neutered asap so he won't run off or get into any cat fights. I wish that a rescue group would help you out. Good luck.:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I would have to open that door...

Me too....! Even from here I am feeling the need to open that door.... :D

Laura's Babies
10-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Rie (my daughter) would look after him along with the others while I am gone but I am trying to talk her into taking him to her house while I am gone and keeping him outside there.

I called the vet that helps SBR and other orginazations and they can do it in the morning for........

Drum roll PLEASE.......

$45!

SO! Hunter will go tonight and be done tomorrow!!!!!!!

I made this for him in the HOPES that the idiots that dropped him will see it somehow one day...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5TEcIDr698

I didn't want to put any music to it so the music wouldn't be a distraction from the message.

kimlovescats
10-04-2007, 01:08 PM
That's fabulous news, Laura! THANK YOU SO MUCH! It would be heartbreaking to see those little eyes at your door each night! I know it has to be hard for you!

Hugs,
Kim

jazzcat
10-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Oh what a sweetheart. I sure hope you can talk Rie into taking him if you can't find someone else.

Good luck with the surgery Hunter!

Laura's Babies
10-04-2007, 01:22 PM
I forgot to say that the girl I talked to thought he was fearl and asked how hard it would be to catch him... I told her he is a sweet boy who is looking for love and I can pick him up and hold him.. (he even gives kisses)..

I told her he is so sweet that if anybody there falls in love with him and wants to keep him, that is fine... I will still pay for his neutering and be happy for them both. Otherwise he will have to come back here and live outside. All he wants is a home INSIDE and I just can't give that to him right now although I am willing to do what I can otherwise.

Boo would rip the door down trying to get at him if I shut him in that other room... she considers that her room also! That is her break room to get a break from the bedroom and she don't like the others even going in there at all! She has about broke the window out in there trying to get at him, a door would be a piece of cake for her to rip apart.

Catty1
10-04-2007, 01:39 PM
HUGS! Oh happy news!

That video...if just one person doesn't dump their furbaby, that will be worth it!

VERY moving and effective.

gini
10-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Such good news!

It just breaks your heart - all he wants is to be loved!

Freedom
10-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Good that he will be seen by the vet, and neutered.

Could Rie take him inside? When we work with the ferals, we don't move them to different locations. Cats are territorial and moving a cat into new territory exposes it to fights from any cats currently in the area. Plus, the cat won't know the area, where to go, where to stay away. It is hazardous to the cat, moving it.

Oh I wish I lived near, I 'd take him in a heart beat. That vid brought tears to my eyes.

Laura's Babies
10-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Freedom- He is not feral at all. He had a home, someone loved him, then he matured and they didn't fix him so I am betting he started spraying inside the house so they took him for a ride and got rid of their problem. He follows me like a lost puppy when I go outside, I can pick him up and love all over him, I brushed him the other day and he loved it, he gives you kisses and is just a little luv hug... She is so solid when you feel him. He is starved for attention like any cat that has been loved then dumped.

moosmom
10-04-2007, 02:30 PM
LB,

He has a shelter outside, which is a good thing. One suggestion is to feed him and Boo at the same time, on opposite sides of the screen. This will give them a pleasurable experience. I do hope you will reconsider bringing him in for the winter. Even if you put him in a crate and let your cats approach him. Just a suggestion.

Any way to post him on Petfinder.com?? There's a place for cats looking for homes. It's worth a shot. Maybe someone in your area will see it and give him a furrrever home.

Bless you for taking care of him. His former owners should be ashamed of themselves!! :mad:

Anikaca77
10-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Aww..that video of Hunter is just so dear. It brought tears to my eyes, I almost started to cry, if I didn't have 6 cats I'd be glad to take him in. I really hope you find a home for him soon before your landlord takes him to the pound.

Prays*

Medusa
10-04-2007, 03:06 PM
I didn't watch the video; my heart couldn't take it right now. But I sure can relate to your dilemma. That's exactly what Specs did every night, except that he has huge Emmett Kelley eyes and a cry that is heartbreaking. And my Boo, a male, wasn't keen on having another male cat in the house. I put it off as long as I could but Specs heard me say "The only way a cat comes in this house is if it's either really sick or injured". So that night, as I was rolling my trash can to the curb, the little brat ran out in front of a car and got hit! I heard the thud and saw him roll under the car; thought he was a goner for sure. But he took off and ran up the hill, in the dark, off into a field. I was afraid he went off to die. So I got my flashlight and started calling him. (I had named him Specs because the white markings around his eyes look like spectacles.) And sure enough, he came running to me. I checked him over and over and he seemed to be ok but I kept him in my garage that night to be sure and took him to the vet next day and he checked out ok, so I put him back outside. Well. He still kept coming to the door and jumped up onto the screen and got his claw caught and he nearly lost his toe. The vet was afraid she was going to have to amputate. She didn't after all but it was a close call. Specs looked at me w/those big eyes of his as if to say "Gee, Mom, what does a guy have to do to get into your house?" So I finally relented and he's been w/me for 4 years. I think his was the same situation as Hunter's, that he wasn't really feral, just would spray in the house and someone dumped him. I had him neutered but he still has his spraying episodes but hasn't had one in quite some time. Didn't mean to go on about this and make it about Specs. Just wanted to let you know that I had the same situation and he and Boo are buds now and there's a happy ending after all. I sure hope someone can give Hunter a good, permanent home if you can't, given your traveling schedule. Good luck. :)

Laura's Babies
10-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Any way to post him on Petfinder.com?? There's a place for cats looking for homes. It's worth a shot. Maybe someone in your area will see it and give him a furrrever home.

I didn't know we could do that but went and did it. Thanks for the information! Lets hope they will let it post in with all the rest of them.. I included the link to his You Tube video, if they allow that.

Medusa- Samantha keeps encouraging him not to give up on me but it's just this thing with Boo and how hard it has been with her so far.

Freedom- No if Marie brings another one inside, that will land her in divorce court. Her husband allowed ONE... we snuck Chester in so we wouldn't dare try that again! He was raised that pets are kept outside... Rie was raised, pets come in... They comprimised and she was allowed 1 cat and 1 dog.. They have 2 cats and 1 dog.... can't push that issue any further or it will be divorce court.

Medusa
10-04-2007, 04:05 PM
I wasn't trying to guilt you into taking Hunter in, believe me. That's a personal decision and you know better than anyone what your circumstances are. In the beginning, Specs and Boo went at it every day. And I mean every single day. Fur flying everywhere. Boo was the alpha male but he's 17 now and he's tired. Fortunately, the two of them worked things out somehow in their cat brains and it's pretty peaceful. But for a long time after I took Specs in, I regretted it and I was dating a guy at that time who just plain guilted me into it. I told him to take Specs himself but, of course, he wouldn't do that because he was at his limit, he said. Later, he took 3 more cats in, so that wasn't the truth. He just didn't want a sprayer. (Who can blame him?) I know you'll do the right thing by Hunter as do all the PTers. I just thought you might enjoy hearing that you're not alone. :p

Laura's Babies
10-04-2007, 05:15 PM
He may have a home.... I took him and dropped him off at the vet and explained the situation to the girl. Someone that works there is looking for barn cats.. He would be so much safer there than he would be here once I go back to work. It is not the ideal situation I wanted for him but it beats a kill shelter any day!

On the way home it dawned on my I might be picking up a empty kennel tomorrow and I started crying. :( If I have to pick him up I will be happy but worry myself to death the whole time I am at work that the manager takes him to the shelter.

jackie
10-04-2007, 05:36 PM
I have my fingers crossed you will come up with a solution. He is such a handsome boy.

jenluckenbach
10-04-2007, 06:07 PM
My eyes are wet and my nose is totally clogged up from crying like a baby at that video. Good job!

I pray that he does find a home.

But please let me add NOT to move him to a new outdoor area, he may run away or be chased off. He is safer right where he is.

Please Lord, send purrents for Hunter SOON!

kb2yjx
10-04-2007, 06:32 PM
WOW!!! That was one effective video!!! I pray that Hunter will find a forever home soon!!!

jennielynn1970
10-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Oh gosh, I'd be worried about him going to a barn home too. What if he thought he was being abandoned again, and went to look for you?? That would be dangerous!!

Gosh... such a predicament! I hope that someone will want to take him home and keep him inside. He's such a handsome fellow. I'll be praying for him that he stays safe at your place or finds a good inside home somewhere!

Don Juan's mom
10-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Damn. I want to let him in, too, but I think *I'd* be evicted with three cats in here. Ummm.... Just tell Southwest to give me a call when he arrives at SJC.

Liz

Catty1
10-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Laura - what about the girl who talked to you about him? Did she seem interested? Responsible?

Just wondering...you could say Hunter DOES have a home to go to, but she has first right of refusal....

HUGS!

krazyaboutkatz
10-05-2007, 01:17 AM
I'm so glad to hear that you're able to get him neutered.:) Now hopefully he'll be able to find a great home that will allow him to be an indoor cat.:) I loved your video and it brought tears to my eyes. I hope that petfinder will allow you to post him and the video. I'm sure this will help him find his purrfect home. Good luck.:)

CultureJunky
10-05-2007, 03:48 AM
Oh what a completely heartbreaking situation, could you not just keep him there and let Rie feed him or a neighbour twice a day and advertise him free to good home locally, he deserves a good home, he's such a sweety and is so obviously a people cat. Bless him, If I lived by you I'd have him in a heartbeat. I will keep my fingers crossed and pray that he finds a nice home.

AbbyMom
10-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Laura, you could also consider posting his story on Craig's List. Someone on here several years ago rehomed cats via CL and I found a wonderful home for two kittens born in my back yard.

Try appealing to someone's love of cats by telling his story and talk about how he needs his own human to love.

It costs nothing and you don't have to use your real email address. If you get a reply from a creep, you delete it.

Here's the only thing: You must be very careful about interviewing candidates so he doesn't end up back in the street. And please ask for a rehoming fee to "help cover the cost of his neutering."

Just a thought. Good luck and thanks for giving Hunter the love he needs.

Rie Rie
10-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Hey Guys, believe me, if I could take Hunter I would. Not only would my husband ptich a holy fit, I have one cat that would tolerate him at all. He puts up with Chester because he has been here since she was a youngster.
Mom is right about my hubby being raised that pets stay outside, but has softened a little over the years, but like mom said, I don't want to push it.
I do hope someone at the vets office will take him and give him a good home, he really is a sweetheart.

Laura's Babies
10-05-2007, 09:17 AM
AbbyMom- I have never been able to find my way around on CL, besides, I am running out of time to place any ad anywhere. Place a ad today, leave Wednesday? (how do you find your loacl CL? Pm me that if you know)

To those that keep say to just keep him here- Outside pets here are not allowed. Once I leave, the park manager will snatch him and take him to the shelter... it is a kill shelter! Without someone here to protect him and find something else to do with him, the manager will take him. I am surprised he has not ordered me to get rid of him or move out. He threatens people with eviction for even feeding stray cats. I can not go off and leave him here.... I can not bring him inside on account of Boo..

Catty, the girl that talked to me about him at the vets was the one who told me about the girl wanting barn cats. I told her he needed a home and she told me about the other girl.

This is not the home I was hoping for, for him but it beats the kill shelter. Right now those are my only 2 options. PLEASE understand, IF I thought he would be safe here, I would leave him here with Rie to look after him when I go back to work but he will not be safe here! This is a mobile home park, there is no garage to put him in for those that asked about a garage. (I wish there was!)

I think if he stayed here after being dumped off from where he grew up, that it is highly unlikely that he would run off to find his way back here from somewhere else. I think as long as he is fed and feels safe, he will stay where he is.

AbbyMom
10-05-2007, 10:11 AM
PM sent!

Laura, if you post today, you might reach people who want to adopt this weekend.

Good luck to you and Hunter!

Pawla
10-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Okay, I just watched the video. MAJOR LES HERE!!! He's so cute! No animal deserves this! I just have such a problem with idiots who view pets as objects :mad: :mad: ! I hope so badly that you do have luck finding him a furrever home! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE keep us posted.

Laura's Babies
10-05-2007, 02:18 PM
I just called to check on him and he is in surgery now. They had an emergency come in that delayed them. The vet tech is going to take him and I will be going to meet her this afternoon. The girl on the phone talked like they have all fallen in love with him. She told me "he is SOOO sweet!" I told her "yea, I told you and he will give you kisses too!". I think he is being rather pampered and spoiled there, according to her, they have all been holding and loving on him and he has turned UP the charm!!

Anikaca77
10-05-2007, 02:39 PM
That's WONDERFUL News! I'm so glad. Hunter looks like such a sweetie!

Grace
10-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Everyone deserves a happy ending. I'm so glad to hear Hunter has found his.

And I can only imagine the relief you must be feeling right now. You do good work!!

Catty1
10-05-2007, 03:25 PM
YAAAY! He will be so loved and happy! :D

gini
10-05-2007, 03:42 PM
I always cry when there is a happy ending to a story. Thank you, Laura for all you have done for this sweet boy.

sasvermont
10-05-2007, 03:45 PM
(((((((((((((((Hunter)))))))))))))))

Thanks for watching out for this fellow. May I send you some money to help offset the vet bills?

You are such a love for worrying about Hunter. And for taking such wonderful care of him.

Love,
SAS

jazzcat
10-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Sounds like a very good update Laura. I hope he wins her over and she wants to make him a full time house cat!

Good job!!

Freedom
10-05-2007, 05:29 PM
I think he is being rather pampered and spoiled there, according to her, they have all been holding and loving on him and he has turned UP the charm!!

How could he be any MORE charming? Oh what great news!

catmandu
10-05-2007, 05:58 PM
I KNOW ALL THE PORCH ANGELS ARE CELEBRATING AND ALL THE REHOMED CATS ARE CHEERING FOR HUNTER TOO.
ITS GREAT THAT THAT BIG STRAY MAY SOON HAVE HIS GOTCHA DAY!!!
HOOORAY!!!!!!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Cat%20Photos/th_ac35d28d.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Cat%20Photos/?action=view&current=ac35d28d.pbr)

AbbyMom
10-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Is there anything happier than a cat who needs love finding someone to love him?

GOOD WORK, LAURA!

Laura's Babies
10-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I went to see him today at the vets and to pay the bill for him.. They had another emergency and didn't get to him and it was almost closing time. They took him into a room so I could make my tearful good bye's to him in private and I was bawling like a baby....(HOW do you fosters do THIS?) It is just SO hard to tell them good bye! Anyway, I met Vanessa, the girl who is taking him and he will be the fourth one of the barn cats and she said there is a lot of woods there for them to run, romp and play, surrounding the barn. She was amazed at just how sweet he is and she missed it when he gave me a kiss... I just held him and bawled.

I went to pay the bill and all they charged me was about $32 for his neuter and rabies shot, they gave me rescue prices since I wasn't keeping him. I am glad I got to do that for him. I told God on the way back home to PLEASE stop doing this to me, it is just to HARD!! The message I got back was He was sent to me so I could save him from the kill shelter where he would have ended up if I had not stepped up and did my part. OK, I can accept that and thank Him for the brief encounter with such a wonderful soul. I feel that this is just the beginning of something wonderful for Hunter.

krazyaboutkatz
10-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Laura, I'm so glad to hear that Hunter's surgery went well and that he now has a new home.:) Thanks for taking care of him in his time of need.:)

jenluckenbach
10-06-2007, 05:21 AM
Laura, you did a wonderful job!!! Hunter will be safe because of your caring. THANK YOU!

CultureJunky
10-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Oh don't you just love happy endings, that has made my day. Well done Laura on finding this gorgeous boy a home, you are a saint :)

Medusa
10-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Ideally, all cats should live outdoors and have access to the indoors. When I was growing up, that's the only way my parents would allow me to have a cat and even as a young adult, I kept my cats outdoors but they came in to eat and sleep, etc. Nowadays, though, it's scary to do that because it's a different world but to be a barn cat is, in my opinion, an ideal life for a cat. I think you did a wonderful job and saved Hunter from a horrible ending. Good job! :)

catnapper
10-06-2007, 07:03 AM
Wow - I missed this whole tale until the ending! Wonderful job Laura!!!

Rescue DOES get easier with each soul you save. It then becomes a passion and life's mission. There's nothing more satisfying to know you saved a few lives!

Way to go Laura -- I got goosebumps reading about his road to a new home.

kb2yjx
10-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Good work on HUnter's behalf!!!

kimlovescats
10-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Laura, this is wonderful news! You did SOOOOOOOO good! I know the tearful goodbyes for sure!

HUGS,
Kim

Laura's Babies
10-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Even with the great feeling, I asked for a omen that I had done the right thing for him... It was like a slap on the face when it came.... :eek:

WHAT DID I NAME HIM??????? :eek:

I will never believe a higher power was not in control of this whole thing from beginning to end.. HUNTER! I realize now, I did not pick that name for him now, it was his fate and suppose to be his name.. :rolleyes:

phesina
10-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Oh, wonderful news. Safe home, Hunter! And God bless you, Laura.

DrKym
10-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Want to know how we do it????

Knowing the outcome of the ones that are loved and find their homes Laura, yes, some of this is heartbreaking, but on the whole after all these years, I wouldn't trade a headbump, Dog kiss or bird nibble .....not even a rat cuddle for the bad times......................the good ones so outweigh the sad times!!

Good for you and GREAT for Hunter!! Hugs to you both!!

lvpets2002
10-07-2007, 05:27 PM
;) Laura always remember you are one of the Pets Guardian Angel Mother's.. You did him a Great Honor.. Remember your tears are of total Joy & not of greif.. This baby will be fine with Many Thanks to You.. (((( Biggg Hugggsss))))