PDA

View Full Version : Got Bees???

critter crazy
10-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Today hubby and I were working around the Barn, and we happened to look up, and this is what we saw!
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/stuff/100_5262.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/stuff/100_5261.jpg

View from inside the Barn window
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/stuff/100_5264.jpg
:eek: :eek: :eek:

jennielynn1970
10-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Is that a hornets' nest?! Holy crap!!! Knock that sucker down when it's nice and cold and wintry outside!

KittyGurl
10-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Wow! That's a giant bee's nest! :eek:

critter crazy
10-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Is that a hornets' nest?! Holy crap!!! Knock that sucker down when it's nice and cold and wintry outside!

Yup it is a Hornets nest, and we have no intentions of messing with it, till there is snow on the ground!;)

sasvermont
10-03-2007, 08:31 PM
It looks like a work of art! I would hate to tangle with the occupants. Snow on the ground sounds good to me..... Impressive. :eek:

Hellow
10-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I would rather take an shotgun to it than mess with it at all! Cool pics though!

ramanth
10-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Wow!! You don't really see the nests get that big around here (near people anyway). The height must of been to their advantage. They must not be bothering you guys to get a nest that big.

It's really pretty.

Laura's Babies
10-03-2007, 09:58 PM
GEEZ! I would have ran and not went back until it was gone!

critter crazy
10-03-2007, 10:06 PM
We never noticed the Hive, caue it is at the top peak of the barn, In the back towards the woods. We Hardly ever go back there. Probably better that way, at least we dont have to worry about the kids messing with it.

Pam
10-04-2007, 05:32 AM
W :eek: W! That is scary and beautiful at the same time!

My co-worker was just telling me that she had one in a tree in her front yard this past weekend. They called the township to find someone to come out and remove it and they were no help at all. She and her husband went out to dinner and when they came back they noticed a branch was sawed off of their tree. It turns out that some neighbors took the situation into their own hands because they have kids and were afraid they'd get stung. Apparently they soaked the nest with bee spray and then sawed the tree branch down. Then they burned the nest. My co-worker was happy that the nest was gone but not so happy when she thought of all that could have happened and the fear of legal repercussions since this all happened on her property. All's well that ends well I guess.

Pawsitive Thinking
10-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Yikes!

Argranade
10-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Holy Smoke's that's huge!

My nabour had one of those but they got it when it was small! :eek:

Freedom
10-04-2007, 01:56 PM
I was going to say you haven't looked UP in a LONG while for it to get that big. But then you poste aobut ti being in the back.

When I was at the vet's last week, they had an emergency call, someone was bringing in a lab who stepped on a nest of mud wasps. UGH, poor doggie!

Waiting for snow sounds like a mighty fine idea! Then the critters are all dead, and you can remove it and mount it inside in your living room! (I knew someone in Maine who had TWO mounted in her living room. :rolleyes: )

JuniorxMyxLove
10-04-2007, 03:44 PM
When I was at the vet's last week, they had an emergency call, someone was bringing in a lab who stepped on a nest of mud wasps. UGH, poor doggie!

Waiting for snow sounds like a mighty fine idea! Then the critters are all dead, and you can remove it and mount it inside in your living room! (I knew someone in Maine who had TWO mounted in her living room. :rolleyes: )
omg WHAT are mud wasps??? I will NEVER WALK IN MUD AGAIN...at least 'till you tell me what they are. lol.

ewwwwwwww nests freak me out...they're pretty but ugly lol.
OMG at this place we used to go to every year for a field trip, they had this big thing like a book almost, mounted on the wass and its 'pages' were glass and they put bees in it...real, live bees and they would build a nest and you could swing it around like flipping the page of a book was see inside the nest, and since it was mounted to the wall there was a hole so the bees could go out and do whatever bees do, and I HATED IT. I was always positive the bees would escape and kill everyone (i was in 2-5 grade!)

jackie
10-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Wow, it is beautiful!

Hellow
10-04-2007, 08:10 PM
I also have one of those attached to the underside of our houses transformer on the power pole. Its beautiful and this winter we are thinking about getting the power company out here to take it down so we can mount it on our wall as an trophy to our victory lol! And it looks pretty.

IRescue452
10-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Aww don't knock it down. We have plenty of bees and wasps that love our garden and pond. The bees sting, but we've never once got stung by a wasp.

jennielynn1970
10-04-2007, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't be mounting that sucker anywhere! My luck, they'd come out of hibernation and decide they like the warmth of my house!

I'd be kinda ticked with the people who cut off a limb of one of my trees without my consent... being afraid for their kids is one thing, but damaging property that doesn't belong to you, that's another.