PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe that I'm admitting this....

Cookiebaker
10-03-2007, 01:30 PM
I am such a bad Mommy! :(

A couple of storms ago, our screen door kinda jerked off its hinges and became bent, and now has trouble staying closed. The other day, I was bringing in groceries, and didn't shut the inside door, but the screen door was closed. I got distracted with Lydia and I didn't end up going back out to the car.

I heard the screen door shut in the wind, and remembered that I needed to go shut it tighter....but didn't get right up and do it. I heard Malone run for the front door and laughed in my head thinking "haha he thinks someone is here, he's gonna be disappointed."

All of a sudden, like 10 minutes later (duhh I'm a little slow) I suddenly thought that I hadn't seen Malone around and vaguely wondered if he could have gotten out the front door. I left Lydia in her high chair, and ran for the front door -- it was open about 3". I raced around inside the house yelling "Cookie!! cookie! come for a cookie" but he didn't come running.

I yelled for Mark (who was working on caulking the tub) and we ran outside. Sure enough, he was way out in the field. He was a good boy (sort of) and came running across the road to us when we called. But he knew that we were gonna capture him, and he took off again.

My heart absolutely froze in my chest because he ran right out in front of a car that was going really fast. Thankfully the driver stopped in time, and he didn't get hit. :eek:

We ran up the road (I was in my sock feet :o ) and saw that he had gone to visit the neighbor's german shepherd. I ran home and got the car while Mark got him back. He jumped right into the car and we drove around the block a couple of times before we went home.

I am so thankful that nothing bad happened. I shudder to think what might have happened if I didn't think about him for a while longer, if I just assumed he was upstairs sleeping in his bed for an hour or something. I shudder to think of what might have happened if the driver didn't stop in time, it was such a close call.

Long story short, we are in the process of buying a new front door, AND Malone always has his collar on now. And all is well, that ends well.

Karen
10-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Oh how scary! Thank goodness everyone is okay!

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-03-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm glad everything turned out ok!!

KittyGurl
10-03-2007, 06:33 PM
That is scary. Losing our pets is every pet lovers nightmare. Glad everyone is ok.

ramanth
10-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Malone! It's not nice to give mommy gray hairs. :eek:

I'm so glad to hear this story has a happy ending. *hugs*