PDA

View Full Version : POLL - Would you use a Pet Resume?

Catty1
10-02-2007, 11:46 PM
If you were planning to move to a new place, and knew there was a service that would do a resume for your pet - with photo, references, etc - would you use it to help you get a place...even possibly in "no-pet" accomodations?

Also, in your answer, how much do think you should pay for this service?

DJFyrewolf36
10-03-2007, 12:13 AM
I would and I did to get the place I am living in now. My complex allows cats but I ended up paying less deposits and do not have to pay pet rent because my vet records and references were available. Some people are just glad to know that your anmals are vet checked and nutered, as so may people lie about that sort of thing.

NicoleLJ
10-03-2007, 10:16 AM
I also do and did. lol I have never had to pay a pet deposit either. I never had problems getting places to rent that were listed as no pet housing because of the resumes.

Personally since I know how to make my own I would not pay anyone to do it. BUT if I didn't I would pay as much as $20 - $25 for one. If I had multiple pets then I would hope to pay less for each. If it would help me get teh place I wanted and made it easier in finding a place then to me it would be well worth the cost.

Nicole & Sheena & Ajax

Logan
10-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I said "maybe" because I've never really thought about that before. Of course, it helps that I am my own landlord these days, but I can think back on times when this might have helped me. I was fortunate that no one ever really gave me a problem over my cat and dog when I was renting, except for the last one that charged me more/month because I had pets. They were older and very gentle animals and never caused a problem for me, either.

Of course, I also think back on my days of renting an apartment or house and I never would have had the number of pets that I now have if I were renting.

catnapper
10-03-2007, 12:38 PM
I own and will always own, so I the only people who need to know about the animals are also the ones who feed, care for, and love the animals :)

critter crazy
10-03-2007, 02:00 PM
I Own my home, so it is not needed for me, but should having to rent ever arise, yes I would.:)

IRescue452
10-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Yes, fortunately though most places around me are pet friendly. That and the fact the Autumn is an older dog will make it easy to find an apartment.

Hellow
10-03-2007, 06:30 PM
yes

ramanth
10-03-2007, 06:34 PM
I've been lucky to find apartments that allow pets but if we needed to find a new place, I'd probably use a pet resume. It's a good idea but I'm not sure if I would pay for the service. I'd just ask previous landlords and vets if they'd be a reference. :)

Catty1
10-03-2007, 07:47 PM
ramanth, I think a lot of folks could do their own, like you have, or type up a list of references.

But this is good to know, as I suspect there might be a few folks who are too busy or whatever to do it themselves.

I really appreciate everyone's answering the poll and posting their comments. A friend and I are looking at doing this...and even a small percentage in a city of almost a million people where the vacancy rate is almost non-existent might produce a need.

Also...it is a tangible way to push back against the landlords and management companies who almost en masse seem to have decided this. It's part of the push!

Thanks again.

jennielynn1970
10-03-2007, 08:02 PM
When I rented, it was tough to find a place that would accept more than 2 cats. They didn't care if I had vet records or anything, to them, more than 2 cats was just not acceptable... usually this was with complexes, not single apartments rented out in a house by someone. I was very happy to get out of renting and move into my own place. More expensive, but no one tells me how many cats I can or cannot have now, lol (well, city ordinances tell me, but you know how that is...).

If I were to rent again in the future, a pet resume might be something I'd look into if it would make it easier to get the place, and if they would discount any pet rent that I'd have to pay.

Bottom line... no matter where I move, my cats come with me.

ramanth
10-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Have you gone out and polled landlords to get their opinions on this? A pet resume wouldn't do any good if a landlord doesn't care.

Catty1
10-03-2007, 09:03 PM
ramanth...we are doing research, believe me.

A realtor in the city who gives home buyers a gift certificate to get themselves a pet from the shelters is writing a letter in answer to the two papers that printed/are printing mine.

The solution is a multi-faceted one, and if this woman can have the city's Real Estate Board help lead the way, that will be something!

Slow and steady...

This woman also told me that most realtors don't even fill out their part of the form that says "No Pets" or "Pets Allowed". Then these clowns make a sale, and both buyer and realtor find out that Fido or Fluffy isn't allowed!

There are a few things to be addressed from a few angles...my colleague and I have discussed doing test marketing, and have a couple of ways to approach it.

I have a contact at the Landlord's Association for Alberta - I can pass on my sample resumes to him, and see what effect, if any, he thinks these might have.

Ideas always welcome! Should maybe start a new thread on that.

Thanks! :)