PDA

View Full Version : Remember Meg, the obese Jack Russell?

Canis-Lupess
10-02-2007, 07:18 PM
The one I painted before who belonged to my aunt and uncle. I'm sure most of you will remember her weight more than anything else.

Well, there is bad news. I found out the other day from my dad that he heard they'd lost Meg but wasn't sure and certainly didn't know what to. He'd heard in the local newsagents or something.

Anyway, when I got home, I phoned my cousin and he confirmed that she died in early August. She had contracted Pyometra and was supposed to be operated on but they lost her.
They never intended to breed so should have had her spayed really.

I doubt her weight helped anything either. This is the second dog they lost untimely. The first, Becky, died of lung cancer at 10 and I bet it was because everyone in the house smokes so she effectively spent 10 years breathing the stuff in. Meg was still 6, I think.

I have also heard they got a new one. A male this time but still a JRT. I haven't seen him yet. I hope they don't let him get like Meg. When I was speaking to my dad, he was going on about what he thought about Meg's weight and that my Aunt just has them as a baby substitute but dogs aren't babies, they are dogs and need to be treated as dogs.

It's also a good thing I painted Meg when I did.....

Hellow
10-02-2007, 08:33 PM
I think these people need someone nice to tell them the basics to caring for an dog especially since they just bought an new one. Why didnt they adopt one?

Freedom
10-02-2007, 08:35 PM
I think it is so nice that you did that painting of Meg. What a treasure.

Poor Meg, RIP sweet girl.

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Poor Meg. :(

That's awful.

ramanth
10-02-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Meg. :(

cloverfdx
10-03-2007, 04:29 AM
That poor dog :(.

Ginger's Mom
10-03-2007, 05:40 AM
When I saw this title I was sure it was going to say that she had lost weight and was doing well. :( I am sorry that is not the case. I am sure her family will treasure the painting you did of her.

chocolatepuppy
10-03-2007, 10:21 PM
I remember Meg. How sad. :(

cyber-sibes
10-03-2007, 10:51 PM
So sorry to hear about Meg. I hope they do what's best fr their next dog and keep it at a healthy weight. :(

Catty1
10-04-2007, 12:09 AM
RIP Meg.

I hope their next dog gets the same health care they would give a child, if that is how they think of their pet.

One hopes that Meg's passing might help the next dog...but I don't know....

Hugs and prayers to Meg and all who loved her.

Canis-Lupess
10-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Becky's death didn't really help Meg. She was the JRT they had before Meg and they allowed her to get overweight too...although not quite as bad as Meg she was still bad. She died of lung cancer at 10 years old. Everyone in the house smokes so three guesses as to how she ended up with that.

My Aunt just can't help but fall back into her bad habits with the food. I also wonder about exercise because her and my uncle can't walk that far because of their age now and their son, the uncle who had me do the painting, works long hours so he usually doesn't have time to take them out. Meg used to get walked around the block a few times a day..on lead and at an elderly persons pace. Hardly enough exercise for a JRT in my opinion.

I'll be interested to see it's tail being as cosmetic docking was banned in April.

Pawsitive Thinking
10-04-2007, 09:46 AM
That is sad news about Meg - I hope their new doggie fares better but they do seem to be set in their ways.....

its reverse cruelty in a way but how do you get them to see it that way??