PDA

View Full Version : Your dog's Heartworm prevention?

lute
10-02-2007, 04:16 PM
What does everyone use for HW prevention. I've been using Interceptor for a while now. It's just a chewable pill you give your dog once a month.

Kfamr
10-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Heartguard....going on 10 years.

animal_rescue
10-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Maggie takes Revolution so it's an all in one deal for her but the little dogs take umm Heartguard.

caseysmom
10-02-2007, 04:30 PM
heartguard for many years now

WELOVESPUPPIES
10-02-2007, 04:35 PM
All three on Interceptor

Shelteez2
10-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Nothing. Heartworm isn't an issue here.

Freedom
10-02-2007, 05:49 PM
I use Revolution for the cats. And interceptor for the dogs.

I use 2 different vets -- one for my pets and one for the fosters. Neither recommends Revolution for dogs.

And the rescue I foster with does not permit us to use Revolution on the dogs.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
10-02-2007, 05:51 PM
I don't use HW protection for the same reason as Shelteez.

chocolatepuppy
10-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Interceptor

Blackrose
10-02-2007, 05:57 PM
The kitties aren't on heartworm prevention (never had an issue with it with them, and seeing as how they are inside only cats, I don't feel the need to), but the dogs are on Heartguard...going on 12 years that I've been using it. It does an excellent job, and the dogs love it as well. :)

lizbud
10-02-2007, 06:02 PM
I've always used Heartgard. :)

lute
10-02-2007, 06:41 PM
I've considered using Revolution a time or two. I just don't like that it doesn't prevent ALL types of worms. It does get rid of adult fleas too though. I just use Frontline as flea and tick prevention.

guineapiggy
10-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Don't use it wonder if i should

CathyBogart
10-02-2007, 07:13 PM
guineapiggy, if you have mosquitoes in your area then it's a really good idea to use it. Heartworm treatment once the pet is infected is really expensive and has a high mortality rate. We always recommend it even for indoor-only pets, because mosquitoes can definitely get inside a house.

I give Jasper Heartgard. The vet I work for told me that from what he has seen he doesn't feel that Revolution is very effective for dogs, so there went my idea for an all-in-one treatment for Jasper. :) I think the demand is high enough that Revolution will try to reformulate a more effective dog formula soon though.

I do not have him on flea prevention. I've only ever once found a flea on him (and with his sparse fur it was EASY to spot) and when that happened I gave him a capstar to kill any lurkers. I've considered Advantage or the like...if I find a flea again I probably will put him on it.

gemini9961
10-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Interceptor for my 3.

lute
10-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Don't use it wonder if i should
Heartworm prevention is a MUST if you have misquitos in your area. Heartworms can kill your dog! It's definatly not something to mess with. Yes, HW prevention may seem highly priced, but it's nothin compared to the treatment once your dog has them. You can buy HW prevention at your vet's office. It's the most reliable place to buy it.

ramanth
10-03-2007, 06:31 PM
I use HeartGuard.

Kia was first put on Sentinal but she'd throw up the pills. ProHeart 6 nearly killed her (it's now off the market). We've had great success with the HeartGuard. :)

We use Frontline Plus for the fleas and ticks. :)

cali
10-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Heartworm prevention is a MUST if you have misquitos in your area

if you have the right KIND of mosquitos in your area. we have loads of mosquitos here but heartworm is non existant as we dont have the type of mosquito that carries heartworm.

kallisto4529
10-04-2007, 03:29 AM
Reilly gets Heartguard.

mr.chiwawa
10-04-2007, 04:51 AM
Mister is on the Sentinal where as it protects agaisnt fleas as well. Here once I get a hard frost I stop the frontline for the winter. But I continue with the Hw. He doesn't mind it i put it in those pill pockets and he eats it thinking it is some sort of yummy treat. Jack (the foster) Is also on the same thing just a different doasge where he weighs more,

vinjashira
10-04-2007, 05:11 AM
Nothing. Heartworm isn't an issue here.same in the UK :)

pitc9
10-04-2007, 07:05 AM
I used Revolution for a while but Buddy got worms once a summer. :mad: (hook/round not heart worm)

So this was our first summer trying Interceptor and guess what.. no worms!! :D

So we're going to stick with it!

king2005
10-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Digi is on Advantage Plus (I think its called Plus).. it does fleas & heartworm. I think it does ticks, but cannot remember.

lute
10-04-2007, 03:31 PM
if you have the right KIND of mosquitos in your area. we have loads of mosquitos here but heartworm is non existant as we dont have the type of mosquito that carries heartworm.
Lucky!!! HW is such a problem here! We get on avgerage 3-5 HW Possitive dogs a week at work.

ramanth, That prevention killed a lot of dogs. Kia was a lucky girl! There is another HW preventative out now that uses a lot of the same stuff in it as ProHeart 6. The vet a work for refuses to carry it.

bckrazy
10-05-2007, 04:45 PM
I use Interceptor... that reminds me, I need to refill this month.

caseysmom
10-05-2007, 08:20 PM
It is a big problem here, the vet my daughter volunteers with says that untreated in 4 years they pretty much have 100 percent chance of getting heartworms. I have seen him treat lots of dogs, its such an easy inexpensive treatment that can avoid such a horrible thing.

chocolatepuppy
10-05-2007, 09:44 PM
So this was our first summer trying Interceptor and guess what.. no worms!! :D

I used to use Heartguard until RB Mandy got whipworms! Then I switched to Interceptor. ;)

K9karen
10-05-2007, 10:39 PM
I remortgage my house every 6 months to resupply Interceptor..but it's worth it :rolleyes: :p

wolfsoul
10-06-2007, 03:13 PM
We don't use anything. We do have mosquitos in the area, however our temperatures are too extreme for heartworm. In all the years my vet has been in practise, she has seen only 3 cases of heartworm -- all from dogs that had just recently traveled to Ontario.

ProHeart 6 nearly killed her (it's now off the market).
They put it back on the market last year -- as far as I know it's still there, unfortunatly.

DrKym
10-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Heart Guard for the dogs Interceptor for the cats.............I also deworm once a month (with the rescues etc never know what is brought in) and for fleas I use totally holistic remedies.

wolf_Q
10-07-2007, 10:21 PM
I use Tri-Heart plus. I used to use Heartguard but my vet started carrying that instead. I think its a generic version of heartguard?

Catlady711
10-08-2007, 10:46 PM
They put it back on the market last year -- as far as I know it's still there, unfortunatly.

In refering to Pro Heart 6, I can't find anything on Fort Dodge's website about it returning to the market http://www.proheart6.com/ The last reference they had was dated 2005. You might have been thinking of Advantage Multi from Bayer which does contain the basic ingredient that was in Pro Heart 6 called Moxidectin. http://advantagemulti.petparents.com/AdvantageMultiDogs.cfm
Which incidentally is why my boss refuses to carry or recommend that product.

I use Tri-Heart plus. I used to use Heartguard but my vet started carrying that instead. I think its a generic version of heartguard?

Not a generic per se, it's made by a reputable company called Scherring-Plough which has been around for years. The deal with Tri Heart is that the patent is off on Heartguard so Merial no longer has the monopoly on the product that they used to have. http://www.triheartplus.com/index2.html There is also another one that IS a generic called Iverheart, although I don't know much about that one as we don't carry that one at work, but we've been using the Tri Heart for almost 2 years now because the price on Heartguard just keeps going through the roof evertime we order. Tri Heart has the same ingredients at a much lower cost because Scherring doesn't spend nearly as much advertising as Merial does.

It's not what 'type' of mosquito that matters, any mosquito can carry the heartworm larva, however as I recall it needs an average temperature above 54 degrees farenheit to be able to transmit, which is why in the northern states most people don't need to give heartworm preventative during the winter months.