PDA

View Full Version : Meerkat Manor

Genny
10-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Who watches it? My mom & I watch it every Friday, but we missed the last one. We just watched the re-run a few hours ago and saw that Flower had died! I was so sad; we both like cried for over 20 minutes...I really liked her--I didn't realize how much I had grown to love Flower and the show until tonight. The show won't ever be the same... :(

kuhio98
10-01-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm hooked too! I don't get to see every episode. I had heard that Flower died, but I haven't seen that episode yet. I cried for hours when Shakespeare died/disappeared. (I never heard definately what happened to brave, courageous Shakespeare). Flower will be greatly missed.

DrKym
10-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Hate to say it but we are all hooked here

Even the dogs! I cried with Flowers passing too :(

jazzcat
10-01-2007, 11:14 PM
I watched it Friday night and it totally upset me. I had no idea that was coming and was not prepared to see her poor little swollen head. It just broke my heart. I can't believe the effect it's had on me and how protective and clingy I've been to my cats since seeing that.

I like the show but this third season has be so brutal. Too many deaths and sadness. Guess I'm not meant for the reality of life in the desert.

kt_luvs_kitties
10-02-2007, 12:07 AM
After Shakespeare, I never watched again. Too much hurt for me :(

lizbud
10-02-2007, 08:46 AM
I haven't kept up with this new season's shows, but I do love the series.
I didn't know about poor Flower. :( Was she sick? What happened to her?

pitc9
10-02-2007, 08:52 AM
I thought that's what I hear... but I didn't want to believe it.

OMG.. RIP Flower you were a brave leader to many. :(

They have a nice tribute to her on the web site:

http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/meerkat/flower/flower.html

jazzcat
10-02-2007, 10:37 AM
I haven't kept up with this new season's shows, but I do love the series.
I didn't know about poor Flower. :( Was she sick? What happened to her?
She was bitten by a cape cobra in the head while trying to defend her new pups in the burrow. I read that a producer said by the time she came out of the burrow it was too late to do anything (they aren't suppose to intervene anyway). Her head was so swollen and pitiful looking. The producer said the researchers also recovered her body and buried her in a marked site. That same producer said in live chat that Shakespeare died from a snake bite after he took off.

slick
10-02-2007, 11:06 AM
I've never heard of it, then again, I don't get the Animal Channel. I clicked on the link then following the links to "watch full episode". Wow, that show seems amazing and little Flower is so sweet RIP!:(

I can certainly see what I'll be doing tonight. Thanks for the link.

elizabethann
10-02-2007, 11:33 AM
My Niece watches it.

This story about Flower has made me sad so I don't think I'll ever watch it.

lvpets2002
10-02-2007, 11:43 AM
;) Oh yes I am hooked too.. But let me tell you they do have a lot of babies..

lizbud
10-02-2007, 12:25 PM
She was bitten by a cape cobra in the head while trying to defend her new pups in the burrow. I read that a producer said by the time she came out of the burrow it was too late to do anything (they aren't suppose to intervine anyway). Her head was so swollen and pitiful looking. The producer said the researchers also recovered her body and buried her in a marked site. That same producer said in live chat that Shakespeare died from a snake bite after he took off.

Oh no. :( Flower was such a good momma. :(

I'll have to catch up quick. I wonder who the new leader will be? Anyone
know if her sister is back with the Wiskers?

Marigold2
10-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Dear Flower,

How much you will be missed. Brave, intelligent, sweet, iron fisted you ruled with a compassion and kindness that will long be missed. Rest in peace sweet Flower.

Daisy and Delilah
10-02-2007, 12:56 PM
I've never seen this show. I watched the tribute to Flower and I can't believe how precious they are. It seems very sad though so I probably can't watch it :( Rest in Peace Flower :(

DrKym
10-02-2007, 01:41 PM
I've never seen this show. I watched the tribute to Flower and I can't believe how precious they are. It seems very sad though so I probably can't watch it :( Rest in Peace Flower :(

It isn't sad as much of a real eyeopener.....so much of what these tiny things do (12 inches tall) are so similar to what we as humans do .work food.raising infants.jostling for space etc..............it really is a wonderfully put together show.

lizbud
10-02-2007, 04:34 PM

No, it's not always sad, but you do get attached to some of them after
watching a few episodes. I love watching how they interact & the narration
is very well done.

Genny
10-02-2007, 04:48 PM
That show just really touched my heart. I still can't believe she is gone. It won't ever be the same that's for sure. I think I'll still watch it because I also love some of the other ones a lot, but Flower has always been a favorite.

I wonder if Rocket Dog will be the new leader? She was the leader for a while when Flower and some of the others left for a while.

Thanks for that web~site pitc9, I didn't know about it.

jazzcat
10-02-2007, 05:31 PM
This is the site for the Friends of the Kalahari Meerkat Project (http://friends.kalahari-meerkats.com/) .

It's the info from the actual researchers who are there studying the meerkats - what the show comes from. I was reading about all the different meerkat clans and was amazed at how many there are. Also they have a list of clans that are lost meaning they've died or disbanded since they started the research back in the 90s. I found it all very interesting but I learned some sad news that will probably be show in the coming episodes this season. :( I also learned that the meerkats can catch TB and that they've had to euthanize some to keep it from spreading. Apparently that is what happened to Big Si, the dominant male of the Lazuli (I think).

3muttsandaboston
10-02-2007, 08:31 PM
I have been watching from the beginning and was completely shocked when flower died. I bawled like a baby especially when they showed her swollen little face. It said in the chat that she lived for 48 hours like that before she passed. :( They are making a movie which is coming out in 2008 about her and her group which I cannot wait to see!

Hellow
10-02-2007, 08:39 PM
I occasionally watch it wheni can find time. I didnt hear about Flower dieing. RIP poor Flower.

ramanth
10-02-2007, 08:51 PM
I only catch the show now and then and saw the episode today where Flower died. It really broke my heart.

I'm not sure if it was just this season or not, but it seemed every episode I saw a baby meerkat was dying or either killed by predators/rivals. :(

slick
10-02-2007, 09:11 PM
I just used the link to watch the whole episode of "Journey's End". To say that I have LES is an understatement. I have tears rolling down my face for poor Flower. So see her hobble around after the bite.....:( :( it's more than I can take.

I don't get Animal Planet at home but if I did, I'd be glued to this program.

RIP dear Flower. As the narrator says, your legacy lives on.

Suki Wingy
10-03-2007, 02:35 PM
I've seen it a few times. I still prefer the good old Animal Planet Safari and Mutual of Omahas. (You know the kind that most people think are boring)
Anyway, I thought Flower would die becuase of the last commercial where they said "What if you lost someone you loved?" and they faded out to black a slow motion vid of Flower.

beeniesmom
10-03-2007, 07:41 PM
My husband and I have seen all the episodes and were very upset that Flower died.

Pawsitive Thinking
10-04-2007, 05:18 AM
We love it!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/Denise40_0/tellyaddicts.jpg

Argranade
10-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Those animal's are so smart and adorable!

So sad that Flower died, I never seen that Episode tho! =(

lizbud
10-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Did anyone see last night's episode? Mozart (Flower's) sister died. She was
all alone. It was so sad. :( :( I would really like to find out how Zaphod makes out on his own but, I don't think I could stand to see the last of the "old" Whiskers gang lose his chance for a new life after Flower. Don't know if I will watch anymore. :(

Gosh, you can sure get attached to those little critters.

http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/meerkat/meet/meet.html

sparks19
10-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Did anyone see last night's episode? Mozart (Flower's) sister died. She was
all alone. It was so sad. :( :( I would really like to find out how Zaphod makes out on his own but, I don't think I could stand to see the last of the "old" Whiskers gang lose his chance for a new life after Flower. Don't know if I will watch anymore. :(

Gosh, you can sure get attached to those little critters.

http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/meerkat/meet/meet.html

AWWW I know I watched that episode today.... :( that was so sad. I was really pulling for that little group.... I was hoping that Wilson would bring a glimmer of hope... but he didn't :(

beeniesmom
10-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Sad... :(
Mozart had gone through such tough times.
We are sad she's gone. I had hope she'd start a new group with Wilson.