PDA

View Full Version : Quotes from Marcel Marceau...

Catty1
09-29-2007, 09:06 PM
I have to admit I was a little surprised til I thought about it! :)

Rest in peace, monsieur.

* Do not the most moving moments of our lives find us all without words?
o The Reader’s Digest (June 1958)

* I have designed my style pantomimes as white ink drawings on black backgrounds, so that man’s destiny appears as a thread lost in an endless labyrinth... I have tried to shed some gleams of light on the shadow of man startled by his anguish.
o Wall Street Journal (19 November 1965)

* Non!
o No!
o Silent Movie (1976) The only spoken word in the entire Mel Brooks comedy film.

* Music conveys moods and images. Even in opera, where plots deal with the structure of destiny, it’s music, not words, that provides power.
o US News & World Report (23 February 1987)

* Music and silence... combine strongly because music is done with silence, and silence is full of music.

* In silence and movement you can show the reflection of people.

* Never get a mime talking. He won’t stop.

* To communicate through silence is a link between the thoughts of man.

* I have spent more than half a lifetime trying to express the tragic moment.
o The Guardian (London, 11 August 1988)

* Chaplin made me laugh and cry without saying a word. I had an instinct. I was touched by the soul of Chaplin — Mime is not an imitator but a creator.
o Interview, The Lantern (5 April 2001)

* Fathers, I do not practice. I’m not religious in life, but when I perform "The Creation of the World" and when my soul is touched by the confrontation of "Good and Evil", then God enters in me.
o Interview The Lantern (5 April 2001) Replying to two priests who, after a performance of his routines of "The Creation of The World" and "The Hands of Good and Evil", asked if he was religious.

* No art is superior to another one, but every art looks for expertise and perfection. This is life, which continues; this is why there is no death. There is continuation. There is no silence. There is a continuation of thought.
o Interview The Lantern (5 April 2001)

Unsourced

* A magician makes the visible invisible. A mime makes the invisible visible.

* It's good to shut up sometimes.

* What sculptors do is represent the essence of gesture. What is important in mime is attitude.

jennielynn1970
09-29-2007, 09:27 PM
I thought you were being sarcastic, lol.

Catty1
09-29-2007, 09:31 PM
My favourite:

* Never get a mime talking. He won’t stop.

:D

smokey the elder
10-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Marcel Marceau was on What's My Line *mumble* years ago!