PDA

View Full Version : Read Asap-west Nille In Texas

ChewmonkeyBC
08-03-2002, 07:16 PM
PLEASE READ THIS

WESTNILLE HAS HIT TEXAS AND HAS KILLED 30 PEOPLE IN LOUISANA ALREADY-

IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THIS IT IS-
TRANSFERED FROM MIAQUITOS TO BIRDS AND THEN THE MISQUITO BITES YOU GETTING YOU INFECTED WITH IT-

I would like to know that if it can be transferd to Horses,and Birds and us,that it can endanger our pets?Like our dogs????

Please post your thoughts!
-Kayla

sottice
08-04-2002, 08:31 PM
I've been wondering about this too! It is getting pretty bad. The governor declared a state of emergency for Louisiana yesterday I think.

Fuzzy317
08-04-2002, 09:05 PM
The last I heard, it started with infected birds, mosquitoes caught if from the birds, then the mosquitoes have infected some people and some horses.

lovemymaltese
08-04-2002, 09:08 PM
I guess that I have not been into the news enough lately. This is the first that I have heard of it. How scacry. Lord help us.

ChewmonkeyBC
08-04-2002, 09:35 PM
Yeah i think that the Louisana gov. did the state of emergency thing the other day, i remember hearing about it the other day

-Kayla

ChewmonkeyBC
08-05-2002, 10:43 PM
Sorry everyone i have to correct my self,4people have died from it in louisnana,like 36 are people are infected,well thats all we know though,we might not be right,and there was one person that has been infected with it in Arkanasa,i think........anyone with info,pleas post........

Thanks
-Kayla

Presley
08-06-2002, 12:12 AM
From the CNN website...
The mosquito-borne illness has killed four people in the United States this year, all last week in Louisiana.

"We're at 58 confirmed cases right now. I expect that by tomorrow we may be looking at an additional 20 or so ... and we've only been at it for three weeks," David Hood, secretary for Louisiana's Health and Hospitals Department, told CNN.

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/08/05/west.nile.patterns/index.html)

Goochina & Goochissimo
08-06-2002, 11:46 AM
I'm in Houston, so I've been hearing all about it. There is good news too though. Even if you are bit by a mosquito carrying the disease, you only have a 1 in 100 chance of getting West Nile. And many people who have it never even know that is what they had.

I checked with our vet, because I was worried about the dogs. He has the vaccination for horses, but not for dogs. He said it is extremely rare that a dog would get West Nile, and so there is no need to vaccinate.

We are definitely very cautious about mosquitos around here though -- lots of Off and Citronella!!!

ChewmonkeyBC
08-06-2002, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the Info!! I was really worried about our dogs and cats getting it.......

-Kayla