PDA

View Full Version : Has This Happened To You or Anyone You Know?

K & L
09-26-2007, 08:52 AM
A little background history: Back in February I was diagnosed with pneumonia. It has taken me forever to feel better and still do not feel right. I have continual pain on the right side (where the pneumonia was) have little energy, lost a lot of my incentive to take care of my house, cats, etc. (thank goodness for my husband), and have had numerous Dr.’s appointments. The last Pulmonary doctor appointment said there were no more signs of pneumonia and I just need to get over this. Hmmm isn’t that what I pay them for, to get me over this? Anyway I made an appointment for a complete physical which is this coming Monday, 10/01/07. In the meantime I’ve been searching the internet for information on pancreatitis and lo and behold I find this article. OMG this is what was prescribed to me back in May of this year! I was on Diovan but insurance wouldn’t cover this so had to switch. Has anyone experienced anything like this, or know of anyone? I have quit taking these until I see the Dr. on Monday. I am printing this article and taking it with me. If this is the reason no wonder I have not felt well. It just makes me wonder how many others are taking medications, giving them symptoms, and the Dr.’s are implying it’s all in your head!

News
Thursday 21 December 2006
Recurrent Acute Pancreatitis Probably Secondary to Lisinopril
By: M.Kanbay, H.Selcuk, U.Yilmaz and S.Boyacioglu
Objectives: Few data exist about the incidence of drug-induced acute pancreatitis in the general population. Although angiotensin-converting enzymes are generally well tolerated, acute pancreatitis has been reported in a few subjects treated with captopril, enalapril, and lisinopril. However, to our knowledge, there is no published data regarding recurrent pancreatitis secondary to lisinopril. Herein, we report the case of a 54-year-old man who developed recurrent acute pancreatitis after starting lisinopril.
Clinical Presentation: A 54-year-old man with a longstanding history of hypertension, treated with lisinopril 10 mg once daily, presented with acute pancreatitis. Other causes of the disease were ruled out. After cessation of lisinopril, his condition improved and his amylase level decreased. This was his third episode of acute pancreatitis since lisinopril had been started in 2002. After discontinuing lisinopril and beginning treatment with amlodipine 10 mg/d, the patient was well at follow-up examination and has not had another episode of pancreatitis during the subsequent 7 months.
Conclusion: This case report demonstrates additional evidence of acute pancreatitis associated with an ACE inhibitor.
http://www.medications.com/se/lisinopril

Catty1
09-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Interesting...you might want to look up possible side effects for the meds you are/have been on. Sometimes the 'research' on this isn't really complete until a number of people have problems when it is legally available! ;)

If you have a good pharmacist, you might want to talk about alternatives, and then inform your doctor.

Or, Google "Alternatives to ___________" and see what you get.

I have a friend who will NOT take Lipitor, as so many people have permanent health problems from it as time goes on.

Do the homework, you could feel better than ever!

moosmom
09-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Lisa,

Good for you!!! After my daughter was misdiagnosed with a "sinus infection" when in reality she had a malignant brain tumor, I ALWAYS get a second opinion.

I'm glad you're doing your homework. Make sure you write down all the questions you have for the doctor. I know when I get into his office, I draw a complete BLANK.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers, Lisa. Please keep us posted.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))

Donna

K & L
09-26-2007, 11:42 AM
A guy’s wife here at work was just hospitalized for the same type of pain and was diagnosed with pancreatitis. That’s what started me thinking to research this. Then I came across this article on Lisinopril, which is the blood pressure medication prescribed to me in May. Now all of this is falling into place. I could be on the wrong track here, but it sure seems like I'm not!

Grace
09-26-2007, 01:40 PM
A guy’s wife here at work was just hospitalized for the same type of pain and was diagnosed with pancreatitis. That’s what started me thinking to research this. Then I came across this article on Lisinopril, which is the blood pressure medication prescribed to me in May. Now all of this is falling into place. I could be on the wrong track here, but it sure seems like I'm not!

Yes, it could be the wrong track, but just as easily the correct one. I've been on lisinopril for years, with nothing more annoying than the occasional cough. But since your problems began very shortly after you started the med, it is most definitely a possibility. Glad you have an appointment so soon.

Laura's Babies
09-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Catty1 wrote

I have a friend who will NOT take Lipitor, as so many people have permanent health problems from it as time goes on.

I am one of those people who suffered MANY side effects from Lipitor. Complaints to the doctor got brushed aside as unimportant and MANY get told "that is not a side effect of that drug!" .... when it IS listed on the side effects.... and getting off the drug does NOT end your problems!

Point here being K & L, have your printed stuff in your hand and if he won't listen or look at what you have found... Find a doctor who WILL....

krazyaboutkatz
09-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Lisa, I'm sorry that you're still not feeling well.:( I thought that you had finally found a great doctor who was helping you. I hope that your doctor will be able to help you and that you'll start feeling better. Please take care. ((((HUGS))))

wolf_Q
09-27-2007, 01:13 AM
Actually I have had acute pancreatitis caused by medication, twice. It was not any of the medications you listed though. The first time I had it I had pretty severe pain for a couple of weeks before I finally went to a doctor (I hate going to doctors). The doctor said there wasn't anything wrong with me :rolleyes: but my mom insisted that they did a blood test and they found out I had pancreatitis. None of the doctors would believe me that the medication was the cause of it, so a couple of months later they perscribed a similar medication and sure enough, I had pancreatitis again. That time I had to be hospitalized. Actually I had it so severe that it looked like I had a tumor on my pancreas...thought I was going to die from pancreatic cancer at that point...had lots of tests and found out eventually that it was just a localized area of severe pancreatitis. I hope you are able to find out what is wrong, if you suspect it is pancreatitis get in soon and make sure you get a blood test.

K & L
09-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Actually I have had acute pancreatitis caused by medication, twice. It was not any of the medications you listed though. The first time I had it I had pretty severe pain for a couple of weeks before I finally went to a doctor (I hate going to doctors). The doctor said there wasn't anything wrong with me :rolleyes: but my mom insisted that they did a blood test and they found out I had pancreatitis. None of the doctors would believe me that the medication was the cause of it, so a couple of months later they perscribed a similar medication and sure enough, I had pancreatitis again. That time I had to be hospitalized. Actually I had it so severe that it looked like I had a tumor on my pancreas...thought I was going to die from pancreatic cancer at that point...had lots of tests and found out eventually that it was just a localized area of severe pancreatitis. I hope you are able to find out what is wrong, if you suspect it is pancreatitis get in soon and make sure you get a blood test.

Thanks for this input! I'm 99% sure this is what has happened to me. All drugs affect people in different ways. I will be taking all this information with me on Monday, and they are running a blood test. Thank goodness for the internet! You can do research and get information such as this.

K & L
09-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Lisa, I'm sorry that you're still not feeling well.:( I thought that you had finally found a great doctor who was helping you. I hope that your doctor will be able to help you and that you'll start feeling better. Please take care. ((((HUGS))))

Tracy
The one doctor did get me over the pneumonia and I was beginning to feel better. Then I started having symptoms of pain and not feeling well again. All her tests (for pneumonia) were coming back negative. I'm suppose to be doing a follow-up with her on the 18th. They switched my meds in May and I do believe this is why I started feeling bad again. If you read symptoms on pneumonia and pancreatitis several are similar! I had no clue it could be due to medication until this was found on the internet!

smokey the elder
09-27-2007, 07:43 AM
That seems like a pretty good indicator of an adverse drug reaction! Please contact the drug manufacturer if this turns out to be the case. Don't count on your doctor to do it; do it yourself. The manufacturer should be on the bottle; if not, ask the pharmacist.

Quite often the pharma industry doesn't know about ADRs for a long time since they count on doctors and patients to report them.

(Disclaimer: I work for a drug company.)

K & L
09-27-2007, 08:02 AM
That seems like a pretty good indicator of an adverse drug reaction! Please contact the drug manufacturer if this turns out to be the case. Don't count on your doctor to do it; do it yourself. The manufacturer should be on the bottle; if not, ask the pharmacist.

Quite often the pharma industry doesn't know about ADRs for a long time since they count on doctors and patients to report them.

(Disclaimer: I work for a drug company.)

I sure will!! The sad part is this pain is the same side the pneumonia was on. I believe that's why no one was thinking anything else but to keep testing for this.