PDA

View Full Version : Jen - How are Sprite and Jasper?

Catty1
09-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I hope the wittle boy is still hanging in there and eating again...and that Jasper is improving...

HUGS and PT Prayers!

jenluckenbach
09-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Thank you very much for asking, but I don't have much good news. :(

Jasper has a severe diarrhea BLOW OUT all over the floor sometime last night. :eek: And then went ahead and wiped his poopy butt half way down the hall carpet. :rolleyes: So obviously this NEWEST medicine does not agree with him. I actually chose NOT to force feed him this morning to give his tummy a bit of a break. He just looks SO uncomfortable. :(

Little baby Sprite, while he IS still hanging in there, is not doing well. He sounds congested, won't eat on his own, and barely swallows when I drip the formula in his mouth. And now he is meowing louder, like he is hurting or something. And he is not growing, like his sisters. I just feel he has something (possibly even FIP) that will prevent him from thriving.

So all is not well at the Luckenbach's. :(

Laura's Babies
09-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Aw Jen, that makes me want to cry!

Catty1
09-25-2007, 02:20 PM
OH no....Sprite! What's WRONG, baby???

Jen, I am SOO sorry...I hope giving Jasper's poor tummy a rest will help.

Will the vet come and see Sprite? Poor you...poor little guy! try steaming him maybe? Just so he's a bit more comfy...

Jen, whatever happens, you have done EVERYTHING possible, as you always do. He could have a birth defect that no one could know about.

Please, God, make Sprite better! Please!

jazzcat
09-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Oh Jen, such a heartbreaking report. :( :( :(

Lots of prayers and (((HUGS)))!

catmandu
09-25-2007, 05:23 PM
The Found Cats And I Are So Sad That Your Dear Companions Are Not Doing Well Jen. We Know How Sad That Is When You Want Your Friend To Get Better, To Have Everything The Same As It Had Always Been. To Fight The Fact That Age Is Slowing Creeping Up On Our Loved Ones.
We Are Praying Ever Harder Jen , That Jasper And Sprite Will Have More Time With You.

phesina
09-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Saying our prayers for Jasper and Sprite and you too, Jen.

Love, hugs, and purrs,
Pat and cats

Donnaj4962
09-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Oh my, such sad news. Many prayers coming from Indiana from me and the girls.

jennielynn1970
09-25-2007, 08:50 PM
About Sprite... Has Dr. Hess seen him recently?? Or maybe Joyce would OK him going to see the illustrious Dr. Ron?? I mean, at least they could diagnose FIP or try to get him to thrive a little.

G535
09-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Sad news. Thinking positive for you.

jenluckenbach
09-26-2007, 05:07 PM
The outlook for Jasper is not good. He has lost 2 pounds in the last 17 days. He still will not eat. And the poop is just dripping out of him.

The vet did an xray today. She sees thickening in the bowel. And possibly something around the kidney.

An ultrasound is the only way to kow for sure, but all the signs (and my person experience, and the vet's opinion) is lymphoma. :( CANCER

If we were to attempt to trat the cancer (as in Mr. Meow's case) we would use depo injections. But Jasper reacted very badly to his depo, AND it has not helped.

There are no other FEASIBLE options. The vet sent him home with some oral pred, to try (but I am certain I tried that before we did the depo). We are doing a higher dosage. But I fear that terrible decision is ahead of me. :( :(

DAMN! He's just a babe of 9 years old. How unfair is that??

Gotta go break down now. :(

Catty1
09-26-2007, 05:16 PM
{{{{hugs}}}}

Jen, I am so sorry to read this.

I hope the increased pred helps.

Prayers to you and dear Jasper.

My mom's Pyka was only 8, so I know how bloody unfair it is, and how it just plain sucks.

More prayers that he will be a bit more comfy and have some quality time with you.

orangemm
09-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I am so sorry to hear all this bad news, Jen. You have done everything in your power to take care of these dear ones, but sometimes everything we do is not enough.

Time for lots of prayers for all these little guys and YOU.

Hugs to you..........

Catty1
09-26-2007, 05:27 PM
He reminds me a bit of Cole, Jen.

Prayers to you, Jasper. Get a bit better and stay with your Meowmie for a while...she loves you so much.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Cats/Jasper/Jasper6-6-04.jpg

http://petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=28877

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/C-E-L/Jasper8-5-05.jpg

DrKym
09-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Oh Jenn...... I am so sorry! (((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))

jennielynn1970
09-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Oh, poor Jasper!!! I wish there was something that would help him! I'll be keeping him in my thoughts and prayers. C'mon Jasper... your mommy needs you to get better.

jenluckenbach
09-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Well, amazingly enough, he DID eat tonight! on his own. Could 1 dose of pred at twice the strength we gave him before make the difference? Is it the depo shot "kicking in"? Is it a coincidence? We may never know, but it is a hopeful glimmer.

I have him in a diaper to prevent the poop all over the house.

Catty1
09-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Oh, Jen....I hope he continues to improve a bit.

MORE PT Prayers for you and Jasper!

Jasper...get better, sweetie, you are doing fine....Meowmie loves you, remember that. :)

Jen - Not to make light...but remember when Lisa's little fluffy black Scooter was in a diaper?

Jasper is in good company. :)

jenluckenbach
09-26-2007, 07:41 PM
I had another cat in a diaper before. (that is why I had some on hand) :o

Check the post above you, Catty, I added a photo.

Catty1
09-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Very elegant - like a reverse tux! :) And that beautiful floofy tail is a great fashion accent.

And you got a pic of him EATING.

Jen...I know it's a slight hope...but it ain't over til it's over. :)

Sprite still hanging in there?

jenluckenbach
09-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Oh yes, Sprite is still here. He still will not suck the bottle, but I syringe him.
He may be small, but he tries to do what his sisters do, and they are starting to walk around and play.

Catty1
09-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Oh good. You thought he was meowing in pain yesterday...I hope it was just the meds, and he is adjusting to them now.

Maybe he just wants meowmie to feed him! Little baby! :)

krazyaboutkatz
09-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear about Jasper and Sprite.:( I'm glad that Jasper is now starting to eat. I'm sure that the pred will help stimulate his appetite and hopefully it'll also help control his diarrhea. Starr's always hungry due to his 5mg of pred each day. I also hope that Sprite will get stronger and will be able to eat better and thrive. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to both of them.

jenluckenbach
09-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Jasper had a bath and grooming today. :) His rear end was full of poop (that which he was trying to wipe off ON MY CARPET!) And his front was all full of snot from his sneezing. Yes, he was a mess.

But now he is clean, and good smelling, and I shaved his furry butt to make cleaning him easier. :)

And he ate again today! And he acts like he feels better! Now we just have to see if the diarrhea is becoming under control.

His time may (or may not) be short, but I know at least that he feels better today then he has in at least a full week.

Sweet little diaper boy. ;)

jazzcat
09-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Good news about Jasper. I'm so glad he is eating and acts like he feels better.

jenluckenbach
09-27-2007, 07:45 PM
I think this might be the end for Sprite. :( His last few feeding consisted of me syringing him, and him spitting it out instead of swallowing. My vet tells me that some kittens just fade, and they never have even a chance at survival. I read that even under perfect circumstances, some kittens will not make it. But does this make me feel less helpless??? :(

On the other end of the spectrum. Jasper ate his PM meal. The appetite is back!

He did his poop in the diaper (I could tell it was time for a changing when he attempted to lick his butt and could not! LOL) Yes, it was fairly liquidy, but there were some parts that were starting to form up, and you can't expect miracles immediately. Besides, as long as the diaper works, we can afford a bit of a soft stool.

So, we shall see what tomorroe brings. Thanks for all your thoughts.

AbbyMom
09-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Oh, Jen. This is so hard.

I'm glad Jasper is feeling better and I send prayers for Sprite. Bless you for trying for her and giving her love.

DrKym
09-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Jenn after years of rescue. it's not just the kittens some pups won't make it either, no matter how much we love em. My thoughts and prayers with you and yours as always.

Catty1
09-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Great news on Jasper.

But poor little Sprite! I wonder what in him just rejects the food and spits it out?

Could it be a stupidly simple as him not liking the taste? I forget what that cat milk for babies is called...Nutrical? Will he swallow that?

More prayers for this little one. I hope he feels okay, even if he is not eating.

HUGS

krazyaboutkatz
09-27-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Jasper is feeling much better and that his appetite is back.:) I'm so sorry to hear about baby Sprite.:( Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. I'll also continue to keep Jasper in my thoughts and prayers.

jenluckenbach
09-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Sprite is gone.
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1909709#post1909709

:( :(

jenluckenbach
09-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Yes, it is 1 AM and I am awake with diaper duty. :rolleyes: Actually, I was up to feed babies (Pepsi and Sunkist) and smelled Jasper's dirty diaper. And, just like human baby, as soon as I got the fresh one on him, he managed to poop AGAIN!!. :p

Poops are not formed :( but maybe they are a bit thicker than the liquid he's been having. So we still don't know if we can controp the diarrhea.

But he is EATING LIKE A HORSE! So maybe he will gain back some much needed weight.

Catty1
09-29-2007, 11:17 AM
I hope Jasper gains some weight, poor guy!

Check with the vet...but would dusting his food with Metamucil help the poops? Or, maybe it will take a bit more time.

Prayers for Jasper!