PDA

View Full Version : Dogs fighting..blood shed..PLEASE HELP!

Aspen and Misty
08-02-2002, 08:52 PM
My two dogs Teddy and Chewy fight all the time. We always seprate them but as you know its tuff to keep up with two dogs. Cheyw jumps on Teddy and will bite his ears, his behind and under his chin. Since Teddy has no teeth Chewy gets right into his mouth and is able to bite Teddy's gums. Well I was sitting in the liveing room when I heard them fighting so I can s fast as I could to seprate them but Teddy bite Chewy twice on the head and he is bleeding from teo diffrent spots. What should I do? Do you thik we need to get ride of Chewy since they fight so much? I hope not, cause I love him so much! I don't know what to do, please help me!

wolf_Q
08-02-2002, 11:41 PM
Umm...I'm probably not the best person for advice here, but I'm kind of in your same situation. Reggie and Smokey are both old dogs, and they don't like Nebo. They are ok with him as long as he isn't jumping/pawing/biting at him. Is Teddy ok with Chewy when he's calm, or do they fight even then? Smokey mostly ignores him, but Reggie growls ALL the time. Both have bit AT Nebo, but I don't think anyone has actually got hurt.

How bad is Chewy bleeding? I don't know much about pet first aid, so if it's too bad maybe you should take him to the vet. I would at least try to clean out the wounds with some water.

My best advice is that you're going to have to keep them separate. I let Nebo around Reggie/Smokey, but never alone. That way if anything really bad happens, I can be there to stop it. They really aren't too bad together most of the time, it's just when Nebo gets in his really hyper moods. Also I wouldn't let them eat in the same place, or anything like that. I know that Smokey was about 8 years old when we got Reggie as a puppy. Smokey HATED Reggie for quite a while.......they totally love eachother now.... :)

Aspen and Misty
08-03-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Umm...I'm probably not the best person for advice here,

Yea well I need all the help I can get! Chewy and Teddy don't eat in the same spot. They also do not mind being in the same room when Chewy is calm, which is almost never, LOL. I rollerblade with Chewy for and hour in the mornign and an hour at night and then about a 15 min one in the middle of the day. We haev Chewy a play pen where he is when we can not wach him and he also has his very own crate. Chewy was not bleeding bad but he was blleding. We cleaned it out with Hygrogyn proxide (sp). We try not to leave them alone, acctually my borther was supposed to be watchign him then but he wasn't, I mean I'm not tryign to say it was his fault or anything but he was supposed to be supervised. So it is his mommies fault. He also has a leash on at almost al times so that when he goes fter a cat or teddy we can pull him away from what ever he is goign after and say no. Anyone else have any ideas? I would greatly apriciate it!

wolf_Q
08-03-2002, 12:45 AM
I think what you are doing already sounds good. I put Nebo on a leash sometimes when he's trying to play with Reggie/Smokey. I know that I couldn't face getting rid of Nebo, and I don't think you should get rid of Chewy. I think I would just watch him at all times, and definitely not let them be alone together. Chewy is not trying to hurt Teddy, but Teddy probably thinks he is fighting with him and is trying to protect himself. I'm betting with Chewy and Nebo...once they get a bit older, they will calm down...and things will go better. How old is Chewy anyway? I think they are around the same age.

Dixie Belle
08-03-2002, 01:06 PM
When we first brought Mama and Belle together, they fought. We kept breaking them up and breaking them up. Finally they really tied up one day, and we couldn't break it up. Mama lost the tip of one of her ears, but the two have been best friends since. We have brought in two more puppies and the two adopted them easily.

Maybe if you can let them all together when your pup is calm, they will start to get use to each other. We still have to do that with Mama. When we brought home Missie, we had to do that. Mama is old, and she doesn't like all the bouncing and stuff. But after a couple of weeks, Mama is fine with Missie.

It is a hard situation to be in, how well I know, but prehaps with a lot of work and time, it can get better.

Aspen and Misty
08-03-2002, 03:25 PM
Chewy is 4 months old. And I don't think I could give him up no matter how much any one paid me. But if it was fo the best fro my puppies, I guess I love him enough that I would give him up. But I am hopeing to sto it. Today they acctaully were in the same room and not fighting! YIPEE!!!!! I am hopeing Cheyw learned his lesson. Any more suggestions?