PDA

View Full Version : PT-- have these ads always been here?

cyber-sibes
09-24-2007, 08:23 PM
I have this banner ad floating between the PT Header and the Thread header today... so, have ads always been there, am I just old & going blind? Or are ads on this site something new? :confused:

Karen
09-24-2007, 08:40 PM
We are testing one banner ad at the top of the page. The last time we tested this, the company serving the ads had problems, they have said the problem is fixed and we are trying again. What ad do you see? Do you remember?

Catty1
09-24-2007, 11:39 PM
10:39 pm MT Monday, Sept 24 - blank space.

crow_noir
09-25-2007, 05:10 AM
Cyber: Here's the old thread from when the Mayors tried before. http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=131517

Karen: I've noticed the Eukanuba ads since i logged in. Think i only have a blank white space when i go to post replies. Not going to say how many hours I've been here typing away. *blush*

Oooops... just went to check... guess it is all white now. Hmmm... earlier i was seeing the ads.

using Firefox version 2.0.0.7

cyber-sibes
09-25-2007, 07:11 AM
Karen, last night there were three ads - one from Kijiji (it was on there for most of the evening), then one that had banner with a lot of orange in it and a white circle on the right side, behind the type, (I think it was for dog food?) and I only saw the third one for a moment, didn't catch what it was about, but the background was white). Today it's just empty white space.
The Kijiji ad was very colorful, and I noticed it because of the name - it reminded me of "Kiki" :)

catnapper
09-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Ads were there this morning but gone now. Also using the latest version of Firefox.

DrKym
09-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Blank White space and using Opera 9.0

KittyGurl
09-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Right now it is blank.

Paul
09-25-2007, 06:39 PM
***I removed the ads. With only one pet ad being shown occasionally it's definitely not worth the annoyance.

******Paul

Catty1
09-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Paul - I know you and Karen could use some help in running this great place.

I was imagining a Hat thread - a sticky in each forum. Use an upside-down floppy-hat logo, and have it as a sticky for two weeks, a month...

Call it Pass the Hat, have your PayPal info, and let it be voluntary!

Might this work?

lizbud
09-26-2007, 04:47 PM
I was wondering why the Pet Talk link on the POTD page was removed?
Was this a temporary thing or what? Thanks.

Karen
09-27-2007, 12:33 AM
I was wondering why the Pet Talk link on the POTD page was removed?
Was this a temporary thing or what? Thanks.

That was just a mistake, it'll be back now!

crow_noir
09-27-2007, 02:16 AM
Well, it's not a hat, but you just inspired me to make this (attached below.) Karen and Paul... Feel free to use it if you want (I know there are better artists out there though.)

Paul - I know you and Karen could use some help in running this great place.

I was imagining a Hat thread - a sticky in each forum. Use an upside-down floppy-hat logo, and have it as a sticky for two weeks, a month...

Call it Pass the Hat, have your PayPal info, and let it be voluntary!

Might this work?

lizbud
09-27-2007, 04:26 PM
That was just a mistake, it'll be back now!

Thanks Karen. :)

Karen
09-28-2007, 11:36 PM
We are now testing running Yahoo text ads ... the system may take a day or so to finish targetting the ads, but it does let us choose a specific category for each forum if we want, so this will all be an experiment for the next little while.

cassiesmom
10-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Dear Mayor Karen, I would rather make a contribution toward keeping Pet Talk up and running instead of having ads by Yahoo on the page. But you're the Mayor, so if the ads are there to stay, then -- okay. (I'm trying to put in my two cents and also keep in mind the bigger picture.)

Thanks,
Elyse
Fan of Pet Talk!

Hellow
10-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Yep, definatly seeing the Yahoo ads!

BC_MoM
10-03-2007, 12:54 AM
The thing that I don't like about these ads is that I cannot open them in a separate window, so it closes out of what I am doing on PT. I prefer Google's ads, for that reason.

Kfamr
10-03-2007, 02:36 AM
My only problem with the ads are the non-pet/animal related ones such as "How Romantic Are You?" :eek:

Barbara
10-03-2007, 02:31 PM
They change all the time. I saw something called PetMed and Ferretstore.com, but right now its for mortgages and realarcade, a game website.
I just ignore them- as I do on google ;) And if they help finance the site I am fine. We all know that a contribution system wouldn't work probably. Content you have to pay for is a problem- although there are people on this site who would be happy to pay a little.

BC_MoM
10-03-2007, 04:43 PM
My only problem with the ads are the non-pet/animal related ones such as "How Romantic Are You?" :eek:

I agree with that too! They are very unrelated... haha.

cyber-sibes
10-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Well, at least these ads are just a narrow band of copy. The previous three were pet-related, the three now are mortages/credit cards. I think the majority have been pet-related.
These are not as distracting as color ads. The ones I really hate are the flashing ads on yahoo mail - they give me a headache!