PDA

View Full Version : Snacks for Chickens

lute
09-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Anybody know of some good snacks for chickens? I've been giving my giving my gals some oats, apples, rabbit food, egg shells, and some other fruits and veggies. Anything else I'm not thinking of that they might like?

critter crazy
09-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Chickens are like Garbage disposals and will eat just abut anything!! My chickens favorites are watermelon, pasta, french fries, cuccumbers, tomatoes, pumpkin, tomatoes ect....... as long as you give this stuff on a limited basis, and they continue to eat their feed, they can nd will eat just about anything!:D

Oh and hardboiled eggs, mashed, with shells is a fabulous treat, and also provides added calcium.:)

Genny
09-24-2007, 10:30 PM
A snack that my ducks love is popcorn w/out salt/butter. Your chickens might like it too.

BitsyNaceyDog
09-25-2007, 03:35 PM
My frind's chickens love mashed potatoes!

lute
09-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks! I had no idea chickens could eat so many different things. This will be the first winter for me with chickens. I'm wnting to really fatten them up so they won't get too cold. Not that they aren't chunky butts already.

critter crazy
09-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks! I had no idea chickens could eat so many different things. This will be the first winter for me with chickens. I'm wnting to really fatten them up so they won't get too cold. Not that they aren't chunky butts already.

As long as the chickens have a dry, draft free area, to get in out of the cold they will be fine. You dont want them to get fat, as this will cause health problems. Wherever they stay, it is best to put a nice THICK layer of straw or bedding on the floor. This will help keep them warm. Chickens do quite well in the cold, and know when to not go out. You will need to keep an eye on the chickens with large combs and waddles, as they can have a tendancy to get frost bite. I have only ever had this happen to one bird, and that was simply because she refused to go in the coop at night!:rolleyes:

lute
09-25-2007, 05:38 PM
As long as the chickens have a dry, draft free area, to get in out of the cold they will be fine. You dont want them to get fat, as this will cause health problems. Wherever they stay, it is best to put a nice THICK layer of straw or bedding on the floor. This will help keep them warm. Chickens do quite well in the cold, and know when to not go out. You will need to keep an eye on the chickens with large combs and waddles, as they can have a tendancy to get frost bite. I have only ever had this happen to one bird, and that was simply because she refused to go in the coop at night!:rolleyes:
Oh good! I have recently thought about the way the winter can get around here and got worried. Should I put a tarp or something around their entire pen? That will make it draft free?

critter crazy
09-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Oh good! I have recently thought about the way the winter can get around here and got worried. Should I put a tarp or something around their entire pen? That will make it draft free?
are you talkig about their outdoor pen?? or the coop?? The pen you can tarp up one side, and the top, so they have an area to get out of the wind and snow.

dab_20
09-26-2007, 09:10 PM
My dad feeds his chickens just about everything. They love sugar free cereal. I think their favorite food by far, though, is cooked chicken!

critter crazy
09-26-2007, 09:34 PM
My dad feeds his chickens just about everything. They love sugar free cereal. I think their favorite food by far, though, is cooked chicken!

Mine love chicken nuggets!!:D

CathyBogart
09-26-2007, 11:46 PM
I used to bring my chickens the leftovers after dinner. They loved brown rice, string beans, steamed carrots, almost everything I offered them. I also bought them mealworms, silkworms, waxworms, and crickets when I bought bugs for my reptiles. :)

lute
09-27-2007, 06:35 PM
are you talkig about their outdoor pen?? or the coop?? The pen you can tarp up one side, and the top, so they have an area to get out of the wind and snow.
The outside pen. Wowee, I'm gonna need a alot of tarp.haha

critter crazy
09-27-2007, 06:37 PM
The outside pen. Wowee, I'm gonna need a alot of tarp.haha

Its not necessary. You dont have to, especially if there is plenty of room for them inside, if they chose to not go out. There will be plenty of days where they just chose to stay inside. ;)

Genny
09-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Mine love chicken nuggets!!:D

LOL! that's sounds wrong--chickens eating chicken nuggets :D :eek:

angelbow20
09-27-2007, 08:08 PM
That reminds me.. When I was younger my grandparents had lots of chickens and my gram would save all left overs in a huge bucket and poor it out in the chicken area for the chickens... They ate everything!!! even meat and were still very healthy.. they used to scare the cats away even when they cats would try to go for the food.

TamanduaGirl
09-30-2007, 02:42 AM
That reminds me.. When I was younger my grandparents had lots of chickens and my gram would save all left overs in a huge bucket and poor it out in the chicken area for the chickens... They ate everything!!! even meat and were still very healthy.. they used to scare the cats away even when they cats would try to go for the food.

We did that but the one time we put coffee grounds they were up all night crowing and laying eggs, not both from the same bird though,lol.

And my parents made wine and tossed the left over berries in the chicken stuff. We got drunk stumbling chickens, lol, no body even thought about that.