PDA

View Full Version : Boys Baby Names

NicoleLJ
09-24-2007, 05:47 PM
So I have narrowed it down to 3 names that we really like for the boy I am due to have in 2 weeks or so and just wanted to hear what you guys thought or even if you could come up with any I had not considered. Now here is how I picked names for my first two.

For my oldest I wanted a french name that wasn't common since I was half french. So we picked Isabeau which is a form of Isabel which means "consecrated to God".

I like names that are not common and have a good meaning behind them.

For my 2nd born we wanted a Dutch name since my husband is half dutch. So we picked Dedrick which means "Gifted Ruler."

So for this boy we decided to go with an Irish or Gaelic name since I am also part Irish. Here is what we have come up with so far:

Our top pick is Ronan which means "little seal" in Gaelic.
then we also like Aodhan which means "little fire" in Gaelic
and Niall which means "cloud" in Gaelic.

What do you all think? Or do any of you got some unusual gaelic or Irish names with good meanings that I don't know of yet.
Nicole & Sheena & Ajax

jenluckenbach
09-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Finnian, Boy, Gaelic = Little fair one

Gallagher, Boy, Gaelic = Brave, valiant

Sheridan, Both, Gaelic = Long lived treasure

jackie
09-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Go with Ronan. The others will just have people scratching their heads and wondering how to pronounce them.

If you want a real Irish name that is still used go for Paddy, Kenny, Sean, or Christy. Can't get more Irish then those! :p

chocolatepuppy
09-24-2007, 06:58 PM
I like Ronan best out of the three. :)

Karen
09-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Conor - Irish name meaning "hound-lover!" It's kind of common around here ... but I am in the Boston area, which is rife with Irish and Irish-American folks

Aidan - It is of Gaelic origin, and its meaning is "fire". Anglicized form of the ancient Gaelic name Aedan, a pet form of Aed. Name of a bishop of Ferns (seventh century) who was noted for his kindness and generosity. Saint Aidan (Ireland, seventh century) established the monastery of Lindisfarne, one of the great centers of learning of its time

Liam - The Irish version of William, "helmet, protection".

Ian - (EE-an) celtic/gaelic: God is Gracious

Nevan - Means 'little saint'. Was a rare name but a very well known Irish chef, Nevan Maguire, has brought it to public attention again. I would bet on it's revival.

Finian - is of Irish and Gaelic origin, and its meaning is "fair". The 1968 film "Finian's Rainbow" was Fred Astaire's last musical. Saint Finnian of Clonard (fifth and sixth century) was called "The Teacher of Irish Saints" because a number of students at his school became very prominent ecclesiastics.

K9karen
09-24-2007, 11:46 PM
I know a Ronan and LOVE the name! Also a bit easier to spell and pronounce for the little tyke's future. Early congratulations on your little Libra.

DrKym
09-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Niall for me....................

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-25-2007, 05:02 AM
Ronan !!!

pitc9
09-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Of the names you posted I like Ronan the best.

But of the others posted I like:
Conor
Liam
Finian

BitsyNaceyDog
09-25-2007, 08:10 AM
I like Ronan best too!
It's so exciting that he'll be here so soon.

NicoleLJ
09-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks all. We are defiantely going to use the name Ronan. Love the other names too that others have shared. I just think Ronan (little seal) will fit this tike perfectly with how much he has been moving around. lol

Nicole & Sheena & Ajax

cassiesmom
09-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Niall ... would I pronounce it "Nile" (like the river)? Or, "kneel", like the names Neil or Neal? I work with a nurse whose grandson is Aidan, and I like that name. I have a friend at church whose name is Ian. I like Ronan - it sounds very regal and dignified. And I definitely can't botch it up like I can with Niall. Is Aodhan similar to Aidan, I wonder? Going back to Niall ... my best friend from high school is 100% Dutch. Her granddad's first name is Cornelius, and his family calls him Grandpa Neil.