PDA

View Full Version : OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! if it wasn't for my kid..........

DrKym
09-24-2007, 12:17 AM
My son asked me tonight...as he should since people ask about Lj ...........if there was or is a hypoallergenic cat..told him all cats can create an allergy..............................He asked and forced me to prove it. We looked it up online together, and found this info to be honest I am not sure which of us are more shocked or horrified...........

www.allerca.com/html/pricingreserve.html

please copy paste and give us your thoughts

if that link does not work use www.allerca.com

:(

crow_noir
09-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Oh, there are sooooo many issues that this topic covers. I don't know where to begin. This genetically engineered breed is something i sit on the fence about.

First off, i feel that humans should do a weeeeee bit more learning until we're messing around with genetics in living beings and cloning. I believe the moral issue of cloning (people against it) is almost 100% religious. Putting personal feelings aside... IF we knew more I'd probably have nothing against it.

The price: They do have to pay off initial research and costs of engineering. I think in a few years though they should REALLY lower the cost of these cats.

Allergy factor: Depending on how allergic a person really is depends on whether this is even necessary. If most people would stop being stubborn and realize that with a good diet cats can become hypo-allergenic. Good food and a few baths and most people allergic to cats amazingly can tolerate cats in their house. I'm "allergic to cats" yet i fed my cats half way decent food and didn't have many issues. I haven't been able to test it further though because all of the other cats i know are fed the cheapest on sale grocery store foods. ...and yes... I go home wheezing after visiting with those friends.

Animals in pounds: That's a separate issue all together. If these people are so convinced that there is nothing they can do and can never have a cat, they're not going to rescue one anyhow. (There's always going to be a new way for fools to spend their money.)

Scam: I would think this was just a scam, but i read an article about it a while back.

Final statements: Sure would be nice if they'd have older kittens lower priced that were already snipped.

I don't like that they probably have no screening process in place and sell to anyone.

Really people... if you have this much money to buy a hypo-allergenic cat... You have the money to save one from the pound and feed it a hypo-allergenic diet! (In that sense I'd say that it's a scam.)

My son asked me tonight...as he should since people ask about Lj ...........if there was or is a hypoallergenic cat..told him all cats can create an allergy..............................He asked and forced me to prove it. We looked it up online together, and found this info to be honest I am not sure which of us are more shocked or horrified...........

www.allerca.com/html/pricingreserve.html

please copy paste and give us your thoughts

if that link does not work use www.allerca.com

DrKym
09-24-2007, 02:08 AM
Crow.................I agree.I am sorry but I am allergic to cats............ I use Benadryl and feed a raw diet. My allergies have dramatically reduced.

I think this is a scam but I truly want other ops....my son is trying to figure out where he stands on this.................

crow_noir
09-24-2007, 03:34 AM
This isn't an issue to take lightly and one's opinion shouldn't be formed on the spot. Definitely should keep an open mind and think things through.

So long as people take their time with it and look at it from every angle i don't even mind if they disagree with me about these cats.

Some of the things i mentioned are opinions that formed over years. (and will probably continue to evolve as the world changes.)

God luck to the both of you.

Crow.................I agree.I am sorry but I am allergic to cats............ I use Benadryl and feed a raw diet. My allergies have dramatically reduced.

I think this is a scam but I truly want other ops....my son is trying to figure out where he stands on this.................

IRescue452
09-24-2007, 05:36 AM
This website reeks of scam. There are no companies other than allerca mentioned on the site, no vet names, nothing to suggest the company is real and could be further researched. There are no adult cats, only kittens shown on the site. The site's only been running for a few months. They expect a full payment of almost $6000 at the time of ordering. Makes me think along the lines of "scam scam scam scam scam"

Lady's Human
09-24-2007, 06:10 AM
A quick google search turned up hundreds of news articles about Allerca.

Here's one:

http://www.dvmnews.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=134771

I don't think it's a scam.

DrKym
09-24-2007, 08:39 AM
If it isn't.and they are actually genetically altered.............I think that will rankle me more.

Catty1
09-24-2007, 11:27 AM
This came up in another forum here I think, a few months ago.

Like we need to genetically engineer special cats when the shelters are crammed with lovely kitties needing homes!

Like you, Kym, I think most folks handle their allergies like you do. And many even 'outgrow' the allergies, whatever their age.

Then I think of people who use the word "allergy" as an excuse! :mad:

DrKym
09-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Candace,

I am lucky, mine are very mild compared to some people who are I understand deathly allergic. But to genetically engineer an animal I am having an issue with this. I am NOT stating my Op to adrian yet as I want him to learn to take all sides and views before just blindly following ...............

but with all the rescues we did just this year alone.......it truly annoys me.

lvpets2002
09-24-2007, 12:26 PM
:o Lordy Lordy all I have to say is what will these Cross Breed Scientist come up with next..

IRescue452
09-24-2007, 03:51 PM
I'd still like to know who conducted the study, and how long they've been researching the effects of removing a protein from a cat's system. I only see kittens on the site.

Blue_Frog
09-24-2007, 04:10 PM
I remember seeing this on daily planet -- that vid wont play, however heres some information (compilation) of a bunch of news stories that explain it a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDR0uPA2Rcw

its too bad, the daily planet one had a good talk about the genetics of it and stuff.

DrKym
09-24-2007, 04:16 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Benadryl is only 6.99 and Lexie does play fetch...................

Blue_Frog
09-24-2007, 04:20 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Benadryl is only 6.99 and Lexie does play fetch...................

i'll stick to sneezing and taking reactine, and save the 2500$ for a bigscreen TV ;)

DrKym
09-24-2007, 04:21 PM
i'll stick to sneezing and taking reactine, and save the 2500$ for a bigscreen TV ;)
I agree.......................not sure what Adrain Brandon and Dman think...............................

DrKym
09-24-2007, 04:28 PM
ok posting for my foster boyz..................

Dalton says:
he says it is severely wrong.ppl should enjoy the real life issues and that his foster mom keeps benadryl............................. (Dalton 14)

Brandon says: says people with allergies should just give up cats.............. no need to genetic alter...(typing as is spoken not for Kudos)
He says no reason with so many in shelters buy some meds.

Adrian says: he is still thinking

AbbyMom
09-24-2007, 08:52 PM
I'd still like to know who conducted the study, and how long they've been researching the effects of removing a protein from a cat's system. I only see kittens on the site.

The lack of the protein that causes the allergies is naturally occurring. Their web site explains that once they detected the variation, they bred cats for that variation.

ALLERCA'S success in discovering the first hypoallergenic cats started with its proprietary diagnostic technology that detected minute specific variations in the feline D1 gene, responsible for producing the protein that causes humans to react. ALLERCA detected genetic divergences in the "code" of the Fel D1 gene sequence and selectively bred these genetically divergent (GD) cats. By testing for the presence of this divergent "code" in the offspring, ALLERCA produced the world's first scientifically proven hypoallergenic cats.

In other words, it's not like they spliced tomato genes onto cat genes and said "Eureka! No more sneezing!"

This is no different than any other breeding program for animals where sought-after characteristics are achieved, like pointy ears or long snouts or pretty coat patterns.

Do you object to pure-bred cats? Race Horses? Cows? We've been doing this for centuries.

Of course, I too, think about the cats in the rescue centers waiting for homes. That is what is important.

I just wanted to add some perspective to the issue.

By the way, I'm highly allergic to cats and I'm on my fourth treatment of shots. I'm sniffling right now because Abby was in my lap. But I wouldn't give her up for anything.