PDA

View Full Version : I got a job! :)

luvofallhorses
09-23-2007, 09:22 PM
okay.. some of you know this but.. I got a job at the animal shelter
where I volunteer. :D
I started last Monday (the 17th) and I LOVE it. :D
it's 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I work every day except for Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
I am just glad that I get to help improve the lives of homeless animals.
It makes you feel so good to be able to do that and let them know that you love them when nobody else will! :)
and when they get adopted, it makes your job worthwhile.. it's why I do what I do.

I just thought I'd share so if I am not on much you know why. ;) plus, it's temporary but hopefully it'll become permanent. :D It's what I always wanted to do. work with animals especially homeless animals!

4Pawss
09-23-2007, 09:27 PM
WoooooooooooHooooooooooooooooo

Congrats Krista that is great...

chocolatepuppy
09-23-2007, 09:27 PM
I knew, but congrats again anyways! :D You're gonna be great at that job Krista! ;)

*LabLoverKEB*
09-23-2007, 09:30 PM
OMG Krista! How exciting! I would LOVE to have a job like that, but our humane society is sooo far from us! :( CONGRATULATIONS!

Hellow
09-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Congratulations on your new job!

Alysser
09-23-2007, 09:51 PM
What exactly is your job Krista? An animal cruelty officer? Sorry for the ignorance lol.

Either way Congratulations! What a fantastic oppurtunity for you. I am glad you're enjoying it.

Daisy and Delilah
09-23-2007, 10:15 PM
CONGRATULATIONS KRISTA!!! Good for you. It's the perfect job for you. I won't be surprised if they make you permanent pretty soon-we all know you're doing a great job and we know they do too :) You go girl!! :D

Karen
09-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Congratulations, we know you'll be great!

luvofallhorses
09-23-2007, 10:42 PM
thanks everyone! :)

Alyssa,

No I am not an animal cruelty officer. It's kinda hard to explain. I am learning lots of stuff right now. I have been volunteering for about a year and a half now and I got hired recently. What I have been doing as a volunteer is taking pictures for the website, walking dogs, spending time with the cats, spending time with the dogs, helping at adoption events, fundraisers, etc..

anyways I have been started on the cleaning part of the dogs because everyone has to take turns. doing things like cleaning all 4 cat rooms, doing the dogs in isolation, etc. another girl got hired, too temporarily. anyways.. we clean 4 hours in the morning and we have to be done by 12 because that's when we go to lunch.. someone does the main dog room which consists of scrubbing the dogs' kennels why someone walks a dog and you have to do them throughouly.

they get clean food and water dishes and blankets and toys every day and their kennels are scrubbed out really well. then you do other stuff like squegee the walk way, etc. and give meds for whoever needs them but I won't do that by myself until I know how.

for the cats, it's the same. you scrub the kennels but it doesn't take as much time BUT the kitten and cat room is free roam so the cats can roam free and not be in kennels which is nice. and there's exam and isolation. exam is the ones who are too young or not fixed yet and the ones for isolation is for sick kitties.

then from 1-4 we are open to the public and the tasks varies like doing adoptions, etc. and then we walk the dogs and do meds and stuff and give treats and leave for the night and we come back at 8 in the morning - 5 at night and do the same. does that make sense? :o I hope so because I am tired and may not make sense. :o

cyber-sibes
09-24-2007, 04:17 AM
Congratulations! The best kind of job is one you love!

vinjashira
09-24-2007, 04:50 AM
Congratulations Krista :)

ChrisH
09-24-2007, 05:08 AM
Congratulations! :D

crow_noir
09-24-2007, 05:10 AM
Congratulations and good luck! (Good luck because you never know what you're going to get. re: animal behavior, human behavior, etc. And also because burn out can strike when it's least expected when you're dealing with animal rescue. Don't be afraid to vent if you need to!)

I'm curious now though... you mentioned that the cats are free roam in the cat room. Doesn't the shelter you work for ever get cats in that don't get along with other cats? What happens to those?

Ginger's Mom
09-24-2007, 05:59 AM
Congratulaitons, Krista! I know that you are going to do a great job. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
09-24-2007, 08:50 AM
What a wonderful job to have! Fingers and paws crossed it is made permanent

DrKym
09-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Perfect job for you Cogratulations!! I will light a candle that it is permanent! How exciting for you!

animal_rescue
09-24-2007, 03:06 PM
thanks everyone! :)

Alyssa,

No I am not an animal cruelty officer. It's kinda hard to explain. I am learning lots of stuff right now. I have been volunteering for about a year and a half now and I got hired recently. What I have been doing as a volunteer is taking pictures for the website, walking dogs, spending time with the cats, spending time with the dogs, helping at adoption events, fundraisers, etc..

anyways I have been started on the cleaning part of the dogs because everyone has to take turns. doing things like cleaning all 4 cat rooms, doing the dogs in isolation, etc. another girl got hired, too temporarily. anyways.. we clean 4 hours in the morning and we have to be done by 12 because that's when we go to lunch.. someone does the main dog room which consists of scrubbing the dogs' kennels why someone walks a dog and you have to do them throughouly.

they get clean food and water dishes and blankets and toys every day and their kennels are scrubbed out really well. then you do other stuff like squegee the walk way, etc. and give meds for whoever needs them but I won't do that by myself until I know how.

for the cats, it's the same. you scrub the kennels but it doesn't take as much time BUT the kitten and cat room is free roam so the cats can roam free and not be in kennels which is nice. and there's exam and isolation. exam is the ones who are too young or not fixed yet and the ones for isolation is for sick kitties.

then from 1-4 we are open to the public and the tasks varies like doing adoptions, etc. and then we walk the dogs and do meds and stuff and give treats and leave for the night and we come back at 8 in the morning - 5 at night and do the same. does that make sense? :o I hope so because I am tired and may not make sense. :o

Wow haha I was almost shocked because that's sooo similar to us! But then I remembered a HS is a HS duh.
We started at 8, walked and fed dogs, then we were split(it was almost the same every week) 2-3 people cleaned the cat room, and 2-3 people cleaned the dog kennels(also if we had volunteers they helped out in the dog kennels). After we finished with cats we would go back to help finish the dogs. Then me and Savanna were sent back into quarantine to clean the cat cages. Usually someone did the small animal room during dog cleaning but if they didn't we would go do that last we squeezed in lunch when no one was around or if they didn't need help. Then around 3 we would walk dogs, feed them, check everyone's food and water dishes(cats and critters) and be done at 4. Way Exhausting!
Oh and by the way, I was called at first a kennel attendant but then they changed the name to Pet Care Technician(same thing, more professional lol). Maybe that's what you are?
But congrats! I'm sure you'll love that job, I just bet it's your calling. :)

KittyGurl
09-24-2007, 03:33 PM
CONGRATS! Hope you have a fun time at your new job.

jazzcat
09-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Congratulations! :)