PDA

View Full Version : 4 Kittens Dumped in 98 degree heat!

Pam
08-02-2002, 02:20 PM
I was sitting at work this morning when an co-worker told me that there were 4 boys outside the office with 4 kittens in a box that had just been dumped by the side of the road. The boys had gathered them up individually and gotten a box and brought them to our office which was close by. Of course I was outside in a flash (sorry boss but when kitties need me I'm gone!) :)

They were so tiny! We are in a heat wave here in NJ , and they were panting just like dogs which I had never seen a cat do. We got them some water and they were just meowing so pitifully and drank non-stop!! The boys who found them were so upset because they knew they needed nourishment and help and they, being about 10-12 years of age, obviously couldn't drive and their parents were working. Since I was finishing up my work I said I would take them to a shelter about 10 min. away. By the time I got the car over to where the kittens were, one little cutie had been adopted by a passerby!

So....3 tiny little kittens and I were off to the shelter! :)Unfortunately when we got there we were told they were full and they suggested a shelter about 1/2 hr. away. They did give me a towel for their box and some much needed food for these cuties. I then took them to the second shelter where they were given a big welcome. I couldn't believe my eyes, but they had eaten all of that food on their 1/2 hr. trip (it was a lot!) and had fallen asleep on the towel in a little kitty pile on the car trip over. As the girl at the second shelter turned them over to see if they were little boys or little girls, their fat little tummies made me smile. Turns out there were 2 girls and 1 boy and they appear to be doing just fine considering their very young age and their morning in the heat. I said a little prayer for them as I left the shelter that they will all find forever homes.

Sitting here now I am totally amazed at the horrendous act that was committed today. How could someone just drop off 4 kittens by the side of the road in 98 degree heat and drive off!! :mad: :mad: Thankfully these thoughtful boys acted with concern and caring and these three little sweeties (I already had named the four of them Eenie, Meenie, Miny and Moe) will find a home where they will be loved. :)

Kater
08-02-2002, 02:26 PM
I love that those four sweet boys helped out! That gives me hope!

I'll pray for those sweeties too. They deserve much better than they've been given so far.

Edwina's Secretary
08-02-2002, 02:27 PM
Some boys at that age would have taken a very different approach. Do you know the parents/school? This is a such a great opportunity to reinforce the right kind of behavior!

Fuzzy317
08-02-2002, 02:29 PM
Good for the boys, its nice that values of "kindness" and "caring for others (animals too)" are still being taught to the youth today.

Good for you for taking them to a shelter were they can be looked after, cared for, and (hopefully soon) find a new permanent home(s).

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-02-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Kater
I love that those four sweet boys helped out! That gives me hope!

Yes, with all the horrendous things we hear about, it's nice to know that there are good, caring kids out there too. :) It's hard to comprehend how anyone could do that, but the good news is the boys found them and they are now safe. I can't believe they ate and fell asleep in the car, they must have been dead beat tired - poor little things. :)

sasvermont
08-02-2002, 02:47 PM
It was so nice of you to get involved in the kitty fiasco. I can't believe someone would just leave them there. Is there a chance that their Mama may have left them there...fur Mama that is?!

It was great that the boys found them when they did.

I bet you were a wreck driving around hoping the kittens would survive the trip(s). Yikes.

You get a gold star today Pam. That is for SURE!

Thank you for saving those furry guys!

L,
SAS

moosmom
08-02-2002, 04:04 PM
Pam,

You are amazing! I agree with Sara. What those boys did was so unlike other boys at that age. The outcome could've been SO different. What you might want to do is write a letter to the editor of your local paper with the story, thanking the boys for their actions. If you have their names that would help too. I'm sure those babies will get homes. Afterall, people LOVE kittens.

As someone told me the first time I rescued a mama and babies way back when "You've finally earned your angels wings". Wear them proudly. You've earned them!

YAY PAM!!

:D :D

Pam
08-02-2002, 07:40 PM
I was telling my hubby and son tonight that I had a chance to meet 4 little cutie kittens today. Before I even got into my story my son said, "tell me one thing, Mom, are any of these kittens now living here?" LOL! LOL! He knows his mom pretty well! :D

SAS, the boys told me that a car drove up to the bus stop near my office and someone tossed these babies out of the car so it wasn't the furmom doing the abandoning. :( You are all very correct about the story possibly having a bad ending had these kittens fallen into the hands of some other kids who might have had other plans for them. Every now and then it does your heart good to see some of the next generation coming along acting with compassion and caring. The one boy in particular kept thanking me for helping them. I told him he and his friends were the real rescuers.

Bari_d
08-02-2002, 07:53 PM
I loved this story...and needed a happy ending (or what certainly appears to be a happy one)...so glad you were there to do this!!! You'll rest well tonight!

You may have seen our post next to yours...we are still trying desperately to find homes for two 4 years old cats in Akron, OH. I hope everyone has read their story"

www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

And if any of you know anyone who can take these precious ones, please let us know!!!! We are running out of time. Moosmom ans been wonderful - trying to save these babies while moving...and we've had others offering support...but our message doesn't seem to have reached the right ears!

God bless you, Pam...please hug Trevor, Andy and Belle for me

Bari

AmberLee
08-02-2002, 10:52 PM
{{{Pam, and the four heroic youngsters}}}

I have tears in my eyes, but for once this week they are happy ones. Bless you and those little babies.

Randi
08-03-2002, 11:25 AM
Pam, you're a hero! :D I'm so glad to hear that the little boys came over to YOUR office with these kittens. :) Anything could have happened! Hopefully, they'll find good forever homes soon!

I hope the people who dumped them will run out of drinking water in the next heatwave! :(

Barbiro
08-03-2002, 11:33 AM
Pam, you should be so proud of yourself for that!!! :) Just the thought of those little kittens being safe and content, tears me up.

How someone could have done that to them is beyond comprehension!! I tell you, we see more and more people lacking a concience every day. Those kids you be commended for their actions!!!

Songlover
09-02-2002, 08:13 AM
It is impossible to imagine the monstrous minds behind this horrible act!!

Thankfully you were there to help the poor little creatures just in time.

I strongly feel that there is a large element of society which thinks that domestic animals are dispensible, like spare car parts, for example!!!!
There is definitely a place in "sensitivity training" to include sensitivity towards animals as well as towards PEOPLE, don't you think???...well, I had better get down off of my soap box now......but this makes me SO ANGRY when I hear about innocent animals being placed in peril, or worse, deliberately killed.

Regards from Deborah in Montreal.

Songlover
09-04-2002, 08:40 AM
HI again Pam....yes, I forgot to mention that it was indeed a great thing that the four young boys took the time to help the defenseless kitties..how wonderful and they should be applauded for the good deed they did...it seems that they don't need "sensitivity to domestic animal" training....!
regards from Deborah in Montreal

Randi
09-04-2002, 08:48 AM
Hi Pam, How's it going with the four kittens?? Are they still at the shelter or have they found good homes. Hope they're all OK! :)

NoahsMommy
09-04-2002, 12:45 PM
Yay to Pam and those four sweet boys! It is so comforting that the boys were so concerned. :)

Pam, do you have any idea if they have found homes yet? How old do you think they were?

Pam
09-04-2002, 12:51 PM
I keep visiting the website of the shelter and looking for their pictures to appear. I am hoping their absence on the site means that they have all found homes. I am assuming that they were all healthy (they appeared so) but they had been through quite an ordeal for ones so young. Hopefully they are all living 'happily ever after.'