PDA

View Full Version : Vicenza, Italy

cassiesmom
09-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Just wondering if anyone else saw this? I like to watch the cooking and travel shows on PBS. Today Rick Steves was visiting cities of Italy and one of the featured cities was - Vicenza! And I thought, wow, I've seen the name of that city on our Pet Talk! :) So kitty cat's delight, I thought of you today. I would love to visit Italy. All the places they showed were so sunny and lots of people walking and bicycling, and they also showed some important buildings and ruins from the Roman Empire. Maybe some day.

kittycats_delight
09-23-2007, 07:28 AM
LOL...Vicenza is full of history just like all of Italy. It is gorgeous here I have to say. There are tons of ruins around some not just hundreds but almost a 1000 years old. A little FYI...everyone knows of Romeo & Juliet. Well Romeo was actually from Vicenza. The story though bases loosely on the 2 families, the Montecchio's or in english Montague's being from Montecchio Maggiore, Vicenza. If you drive about 45 minutes from my home towards Verona you can see the 'castle' of Romeo & Juliet all in Vicenza. I didn't know this until my husband told me the story.

There is also Monte Berico. The cathedral there is about 400+ years old. It is called in english the catheral of the Madonna(Virgin Mary). In the 1600 during the time of the plague it is said that the Madonna appeared there to save the people from the plague. In the place where she appeared there is a sacred 'impression' made of her and they say that if you lay hands on it you can feel healing power. The alter was built just in front of the place where she appeared. Pretty cool stuff really.

There is so much more too. Vicenza has the most antique villas in all of Italy. We are simply full of them. There is also teatro olimpico which is the oldest covered theatre in the world at about 550+ years.

Ok I will stop now. History lesson over. hehehehehe

If you ever come to Itlay I would gladly take you to see the sites I know. And I am sure hubby can add a ton to the list. :)

Michelle