PDA

View Full Version : Drawing/shading...stuff :]

JuniorxMyxLove
09-22-2007, 09:47 AM
As you might know, I draw horses and have been *ahem* attempting to shade them. Anyways in my art class we had to draw a ribbon and shade it. I spent three hours on mine. it was a lot of fun so I decided to try another one..in my scetchbook we have to have.we gotta draw 40 minutes a week (last week i had 126 minutes) so i thought this would be a good way to get that time in. Here's my current ribbon:
http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/pictures/files/1/8/4/9/0/sadieandribbonnn011.jpg
http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/pictures/files/1/8/4/9/0/sadieandribbonnn010.jpg
I'm not done yet, and I'm super sorry they're blurry, but i was lookin for some input and advice?

I gotta bring home the one i did in class, it's pretty good. (not to be stuck up or anything) my art teacher used it for an example every time she needed an example lol.

slleipnir
09-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Looks great to me :)

mike001
09-22-2007, 12:46 PM
I have a hard time with sketching so your ribbon looks great to me also.

Karen
09-22-2007, 01:43 PM
I'd add more midrange shading - maybe it is there, but it's hard to tell from the image you posted, so that the "highlights" - as in the blank areas - really stand out, and are not the majority of the ribbon. Does that make sense? Again, maybe you have already done this, but we cannot tell on that jpg?

JuniorxMyxLove
09-22-2007, 04:40 PM
I think i get what you're saying. sorry the pictures were blurry :rolleyes:

I'm not done, i was just seeing how it was looking so far. i'm actually off to work on it some more..

and i did most of that with a mechanical pencil in geometry the other day so yeahhhh.

I'll try to get a better pic of it :]

catnapper
09-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Looking good!

Karen's right -- you need less white. One thing you do have that a lot of young artist don't "get" is areas of true black. Most young people make everything so grey, with no true whites or blacks. Good job!

JuniorxMyxLove
09-23-2007, 09:06 AM
thankies :]

my friend is amazing, but her ribbon was always to light, from the other side of the room you couldn't even see it so I didn't want mine to turn out that way. :-DDD

I'm gonna work on it some more today. so far i've spent 38 or my 40 min minutes a week on it :-D

JuniorxMyxLove
09-24-2007, 02:57 PM
I've brought my ribbon from art to show you guys!!!
This one was done from an actual ribbon, his name is Hank.
Does this have the highlight shading thing you were talking about, Karen?
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t75/xxOHFxx/ribbonfromart001.jpg
And a clearer picture:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t75/xxOHFxx/ribbonfromart002.jpg
Any critiscism or advice is greatly appreciated :]

crow_noir
09-25-2007, 05:27 AM
I just want to say i love these drawing threads, and love the advice people give. I love watching as the artists here improve.

As much as i love art class, i never paid much attention to drawing technique. I can't stand structured drawing... my muse is too free spirited. :p I very much admire those who are willing to listen as to better themselves and hone their skills!

The advice givers here at PT are much kinder to the artists than I've seen else where. *huggles to the bearers of kind and helpful constructive criticism!* :D

JuniorxMyxLove
09-25-2007, 06:27 PM
hahaha i know theres a website I *used* to go on and i asked for drawing advice and what to do about my sister taking all the attention and someone literally said 'leave the drawing to your sister. she's obviously the best at it. leave it behind and you can fosuc on things you're actually good at" needless to say I haven't been on there in a while.

I don't really pay attention normally in art, she tells us to use the tip of the pencil and hold by the eraser, i hold it near the grip part hahahaha. but i was having trouble shading the drawings so i decided i better sit up at take...MENTAL notes :] and it helped...i think.
now we can't draw in our sketchbooks, we've got to make a piece that portrays our feelings on something that has happened to us..its sposed to be PERSONAL so we can't show anyone buy the teacher but i might show you guys if it's not TOO personal :)

any more advice?

JuniorxMyxLove
09-30-2007, 01:32 PM
bumpity bump :]

anyone??