PDA

View Full Version : Someone just told me...

CathyBogart
09-21-2007, 05:34 PM
That Jasper would be better off back at the shelter than wearing a shock collar when I leave the apartment.

I thought.....I'd post that here...because I'm too pissed to say much without getting banned from that board. :mad: :mad:

Karen
09-21-2007, 05:44 PM
I'd have been tempted to ask them to spend a couple weeks in a kennel at the shelter, then reconsider the notion. Jasper is a loved doggie with a home - that's far better than any shelter situation, and so much better for him emotionally as well. Give him a good belly-rub from me, okay?

Lady's Human
09-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Lady would have a reply to that, but I can't type in doggie, and dog curses don't translate well to english.

sasvermont
09-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Goodness. I would hope there would be an alternative. I don't know the entire story. And guess what? Electric fences are "shock collars" too, arent' they? I guess if you have no other way of dealing with the pupsters issue(s) then you have to use it!

I guess I should keep my trap shut when it comes to shock collars as I don't know how much of a shock the collar actually gives the dog.

I highly trust Karen's opinion - more than anyone here..... so if Karen is ok with it, then I am sure I am too, in the long run.

Could it be the term "shock" that gives the collar the stigma?

lizbud
09-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Well, it's none of their business is it? Unless you asked for an opinion
they should MTOB. I didn't even know you used a shock collar.

mike001
09-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Why in the world would someone say something as silly as that? Nothing wrong with shock collars when used properly, some high profile trainers recommend them as a training tool.
Shock collars come with up to 6 degrees of "shocks". You can set it for the mildest, which is more of a surprise than anything, sometimes that's all a dog needs.
Thinking a dog is better in a shelter is lunacy. I think the mental shock of a shelter is far more harmful than a loving home with a training aid that won't last and will teach the dog manners.

I'VE BEEN BOO'D :cool:

DrKym
09-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Cathy..I have watched it all with Jas...............You are a great Mom and to hell with those that say otherwise. Jasper is a well loved well kept and adored boy.

CathyBogart
09-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Jasper has separation anxiety and barks when we're gone. We're working on behavior modification to reduce his anxiety....but that takes TIME, and in the meantime we were close to getting evicted because of the neighbors complaining about his barking.

I can leave him with my parents, but he gets left in an outdoor run with their two dogs and he squabbles with Wilbur sometimes...I'm concerned that one of them might hurt the other while they're unattended....or a predator get to their run, or a nasty passerby decide to steal or hurt them. :(

We have done doggy day care, but I don't have $35 a day to bring him there, so it's an occasional treat. (For both of us! I love to bring him home and have him ready to sleep, rather than come home to a dog who has been sleeping all day)

The collar is effective on its lowest level, and I've held it to my skin while he barks. It feels like a medium-strength static zap to me. It's a workable solution, and buys us some time while we work in his issues with anxiety.

sasvermont
09-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the low down. I suspect the doggie is much happier at home... and will get the hang of this barking thing....and keep it down to a dull roar!

I can imagine how much the neighbors are ticked about the dog barking all day long. It would drive me crazy too!

Glad Jasper has a good Mom and a loving home. Get with the program Jasper! And stop that darn barking! :eek:

Twisterdog
09-21-2007, 09:31 PM
There is nothing wrong with shock collars, used properly. Which you obviously are.

Ignorance abounds. Don't let it get to you.

critter crazy
09-21-2007, 09:35 PM
www hun dont let it get to you!! we all know how well you take care of Jasper!! You are a good dog momma!! :)

jennielynn1970
09-21-2007, 09:57 PM
My neighbor used a shock collar on her dog because he would bark when she left the house (and a neighbor in the alley complained cause he worked nights and slept days). She was a trainer as well. The dog was fine, and she didn't get reported anymore because Rusty didn't bark up a storm. You do what you can and what you have to do... Jasper looks well loved!

Cinder & Smoke
09-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Cinder got a NO-Bark Zapper Collar back when we made Sunday trips to visit Mom in
the Health Center at her Retirement Village near Pittsburgh.

Miz Cinners just would NOT keep quiet in the car (or under the pine tree forest) when it was Smokey's turn to go in to see Mom. Two Sundays in a row she **barked** her fool head off - for HOURS I was told! :eek: The Guards said she was either to be QUIET or stay home!

We got her Zapper at PetsMart on Monday ... by Friday she was an "experienced" NO-Barker!

Sunday came ... Zapper ON ... Somokey and I headed off - "See ya in a while, Cinners."

YIPP, YAPP - Barkety-BARK!!

OK, (click) here's Stage 2 --- see how this feels.

YIPP, YAPP - BAR ... EEE-Yipes ... (pause) BARK - BAR ... YIKES! ... BARK!!

Grrrrrr ... (CLICK) to Stage #3 ... "Let's see ya ignore THAT!"

We got just outta her sight ... BAR-kkk - YIPP ... (silence) :)

Never heard a "word" out of her the rest of that summer on Sundays!

The Zapper has also come in handy when we camp in a Motel ...
Miz Cinners likes to *alert* me with a round of :eek: Panic BARKS when a neighbor
either comes in late; or leaves early in the morning. :rolleyes:
The Zapper insures the *alerts* are confined to a quick and soft *YIPP*.

PS:
Cinder even respects the NO-Bark Zapper when ...
* I forget to actually turn it ON
* When it has a stone dead battery

She also *CHEWED IT UP* :eek: (rather thoroughly) one Sunday when I took it off and
just tossed it on the seat (Smokey was keeping her company while I took Mom to Church) ...
I called the NO-Bark folks and told the tail of destruction ...
She *laughed* and said "$20 bucks and we'll send you a brandy new one ...
happens ALL the time!"
We had a NEW Zapper by Friday ... it now lives in the glove box when it's not on her neck!

Cruel ??
Not in the least - SHE's in charge of what happens - and totally understands:
* If she wants to *bark* - she puts up with a "pain inna neck" :(
* If she want to be *QUIET* - no pains! :)

/s/ Phred

IRescue452
09-22-2007, 01:24 AM
Autumn has a shock collar from when she was younger. I've taken a shock from it. It doesn't hurt. What really got to me were the vibrations it gave off. Apparently she didn't like the vibrations either, but I know it didn't hurt her.

lady_zana
09-22-2007, 03:37 AM
Goodness. I would hope there would be an alternative. I don't know the entire story. And guess what? Electric fences are "shock collars" too, arent' they? I guess if you have no other way of dealing with the pupsters issue(s) then you have to use it!

I guess I should keep my trap shut when it comes to shock collars as I don't know how much of a shock the collar actually gives the dog.

I highly trust Karen's opinion - more than anyone here..... so if Karen is ok with it, then I am sure I am too, in the long run.

Could it be the term "shock" that gives the collar the stigma?

I don't know how much of a shock they give the dog either but if it is about the same as an electric fence (and I would guess it is) then there is absolutely nothing wrong with a shock collar (used correctly).

Growing up, my family had an electric fence around our yard to keep our doggies in. I got "shocked" by the fence several times. It's not really painful; it's more surprising than anything else.

I'd say the word "shock" in shock collar is what most people get stuck on. They are thinking about major bolts of electricity or the old versions of shock therapy and that's simply not what a shock collar is. If it had a different name, people probably wouldn't object so much, even though it's the same thing.

Miss Z
09-22-2007, 05:04 AM
I imagine that those sorts of people who make comments such as that to an owner that they, deep down, know is a perfectly humane one, would be the first ones complaining to you every day about how much noise your dog makes when you're away if they happened to be your neighbours.

Silly people have no choice but to make silly comments, only the sensible ones can choose what they say. ;)

jackie
09-22-2007, 06:28 AM
Just shake it off. Some people just like to hear their own voice without considering other options. I am sure a shock collar is preferable to being in a shelter or both of you being homeless.

When my aunt installed an electric fence around her property, my cousin was close to tears at the thought of he dog getting shocked. So so snuck the collar off the dog and put it around her own neck and took a running leap at the "fence". She was seven and still alive to tell the story. :p

Laura's Babies
09-22-2007, 09:19 AM
That comment "better off in a shelter"".....

Brings to mind something my Mama use to say, "It's ok to be stupid, just don't open your mouth and let the rest of the world know it!".

joycenalex
09-22-2007, 09:07 PM
That comment "better off in a shelter"".....

Brings to mind something my Mama use to say, "It's ok to be stupid, just don't open your mouth and let the rest of the world know it!".
so now you know about those who criticised you. let it ride off into the sunset of their foolishness. and princess peanut can curse very well in dog, and she wasn't amused...she came very close to a shelter.... :(

Cincy'sMom
09-23-2007, 07:04 AM
Silly people have no choice but to make silly comments, only the sensible ones can choose what they say. ;)

What a great line!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-24-2007, 08:17 AM
"It's ok to be stupid, just don't open your mouth and let the rest of the world know it!".

That is brilliant!

Don't take any notice of what they said - obviously clueless about keeping dogs

cloverfdx
09-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Just try to ignore them Cathy, as hard as it may be ;).

I wish zappy collars were not illegal in my state, my guys have barked through Citronella collars and Ultrasonic collars with no problems.. the collars just dont bother them :(.

CathyBogart
09-25-2007, 09:39 AM
I wish zappy collars were not illegal in my state, my guys have barked through Citronella collars and Ultrasonic collars with no problems.. the collars just dont bother them :(.

I tried the citronella, Jasper just turns his head and barks off to the side while the spray sprays nothing! -_- Silly pups...

mruffruff
09-25-2007, 10:20 AM
I have to agree that the shock collar isn't as bad as it sounds.

I too have used it on the mildest setting. It did the trick. And I could put the collar on without the battery and get the same results after a few mild shocks.

Don't let the uninformed get to you. You're doing great.

gini
09-25-2007, 10:36 AM
I don't know one thing about shock collars as my cats don't bark:D

But I do know a lot about people who want to mind "your business" for you.

Shrug it off as pure ignorance - they probably have a lot of opinions about everything other people do - while their own life is impeccable in their eyes.