PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

Genny
09-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Hey everyone!

I wanted to ask your opinion on something. OK, our 15 baby ducks are all grown up now. We can't keep the boys because we don't want any babies and because they just aggravate the girls 'too' much! So my grandpa's friend's sister has a pond and she wants the boys. She has a nice place for them and would take care of them.

Here is what bothers me, there is one of the boy ducks that I named especially for my grandpa. The duck's name is Aflac. Every time my grandpa comes over he wants to go out and see Aflac and he will just sit and talk to him and pet him. He really loves this duck. (He has always loved the AFLAC commercials, so that's why I named the duck for him :)

So anyway Aflac is a boy....normally I would let him go with his brothers, but I hate to since my papa loves him so.

This may sound weird, but I wanted to tell you... Aflac seems to stand out from the rest, he will do things that the other boys won't do. He will walk up to you for you to pet him, he will climb the steps to the porch (none of the other boys will do that, only a few of our girls that we've had for years will) he will jump up in the air and grab food rom your hands, and he will even walk in the house!! He hasn't been pampered or given anymore attention or love that any of the rest. He just stands out from the rest... I don't want to sound strange, but do you think maybe all that is a sign to keep him? I just really don't know what to do. I love him too and hate to give him away even though I know he would be looked after. What do you all think??

IRescue452
09-21-2007, 04:35 PM
I think there is a new member to the family. One boy might not be so bad for the girls. At least one boy is easier to keep seperated from the girls if it comes to that.

WELOVESPUPPIES
09-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Awww, how could you possibly part with your grandpa's favorite? And it sounds to me like Aflac has already decided where he wants to be. Since you do not want any babies maybe just remove the eggs from the mother? I don't know, maybe that sounds a little mean because of maternal instinct and all but we do it to chickens all the time.

Genny
09-22-2007, 04:52 PM
I think I agree with both of you; I'm just going to have to try and talk my mom into keeping him. :rolleyes:
I need to get some pictures sent of Aflac (and the other ducks) soon! I have made so many.

TamanduaGirl
09-30-2007, 02:21 AM
We always took the eggs soon as they were layed or found from ducks and chickens, no problems.

and we ate them :P

or feed them to our dog.

They will lay whether you have males around or not.