PDA

View Full Version : A(nother) day at the Emergency Room

Scooter's Mom
09-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Went to work today, even though my chest felt weird. Not to sound gross, but it felt like I had to burp a lot. An hour into work, I threw up. My chest started hurting more. I asked my boss if I could make an appt and he said YES. Regular doc couldn't see me until 2:30. My boss said, "With your symptoms I don't think you should wait" so I went to the ER.

Passed the EKG's they did (3 of them). They had me on a heart monitor for 5-6 hours and it was fine. They did give me some toradol which did nothing (muscle relaxer they said). Then when my pain was getting worse, morphine. Also did nothing. 20 minutes later, I was sweating like crazy, but was still cold. I was begging them to just help me, however they could. Could hardly talk, it hurt worse than ever before. So, they gave me nitroglycerin (sp?) to put under my tongue. It worked.

What is scary to me - when my mom had nitroglycerin... they told her if she was having a heart attack it would work, otherwise it would give her a heck of a headache. I didn't get a headache... so what should I assume?

I'm going to my regular doc at 9am tomorrow as a follow up. He told the ER docs (they called him) he will refer me to a cardiologist.

Sure wish this year would be over already.

Laura's Babies
09-18-2007, 11:49 PM
That sounds scarey! Hope you check out alright!

crow_noir
09-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Wow, that sounds scary.

good luck!

*hugs*

jackie
09-19-2007, 07:02 AM
keep us updated on what your doctor says, I hope you feel better!

Freedom
09-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Oh Crystal, my goodness gracious! Thank heavens you were at the ER when things got worse.

Prayers that they find out what the heck happened. Did they have any theories? Could it be stress induced? Although that sounds way over the top for a panic attack. But geesh, nothing showed up on their testing?

Prayers on the way!!!

4 Dog Mother
09-19-2007, 08:18 AM
That is very scary! Hope you find out what is going on and are feeling better very soon!

Daisy and Delilah
09-19-2007, 08:44 AM
That must have been terrible for you. I'm sending thoughts and prayers out to you right away. I hope you feel better soon.

Karen
09-19-2007, 10:03 AM
My Uncle Kip had nitroglycerine on hand for angina attacks - it's not just for heart attacks!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Hope you feel better soon and they find out what happened

Catty1
09-19-2007, 10:36 AM
HUGS. I hope everything gets figured out soon and you feel way better!

Scooter's Mom
09-19-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm back from my regular doc. He basically just gave me a referral to a cardiologist. Thinks it odd that the EKG's and heart monitoring as well as my blood pressure were all normal, yet I was in such pain. So, I see the cardiologist on Friday at 2pm.

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

moosmom
09-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Angina symptoms have almost the exact same symptoms as a heart attack, except the there's no pain radiating down the left arm.

I had an episode years ago when I worked for an obnoxious lawyer. Shortness of breath, tightness in the chest. After a stress test, it was determined that I was under an extreme amount of stress(my daughter was in a Florida hospital recovering from brain surgery due to a malignant brain tumor) and was having panic attacks.

Please keep us posted on your visit with the cardiologist. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

(((((((HUGS))))))