PDA

View Full Version : Creating more housing for pets....Draft of Letter

Catty1
09-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Hello - I have contacted the Calgary Apartment organization, and have left messages for the province's two Condo orgs. Will also locate the Apt org for all of Alberta.

The following is intended to be submitted for their newsletters, and I am submitting this to a few newspapers as well.

Thank you to all who helped with ideas - now I need feedback and any more ideas that come up!

TWO MORE at the Cochrane HS were PTS....the number of homes for furbabies is diminishing...I cannot put this off any longer!!!! :mad: :( :mad: :(

Thanks!

To Rental and Condominium Professionals:

The “boom” in Alberta is almost old news, yet its effects are still with us. One of the results is that the housing market is very tight for people, and for any pets they have.

The word “pets” will naturally raise many hackles among housing professionals, and this is entirely understandable. I hope, however, that you will take a few minutes to review the following idea of Pet Registration, as drafted by myself and a number of other per owners. (Please also see Options at the end of this list).

1. Pet Registration: This is required of every resident, new or existing, who wishes to have a pet in their unit. Because this will involve the filling out of forms and followup by housing staff – or possibly hiring an extra person part-time - a non-refundable Application Fee and further Registration Fee will have to apply. This is suggested in lieu of an extra damage deposit or other financial cost. Other documentation may include:

a) Proof of vaccination and spay/neuter, and name of vet/shelter. This is to be in writing. If applicant already has pets, same records are to be produced.

b) The appropriate staff member must “interview” the pet as well as the applicant.

c) Three references from former landlords/neighbours/roommates.

d) If not a new applicant, call/email Animal Control/Humane Society with applicant’s previous address to see about complaints.

e) Two-three month probation, which applicants sign and agree to. If there are verifiable problems or complaints, resident is given 1 month to rehome the pet. Otherwise, animal is surrendered to Animal Control/Humane Society. Alternatively, the tenant might have the option to break the lease, and relocate.

f) Pets must have city license.

g) Applicant’s insurance to cover potential pet damage, freeing the management from any liability and cost.

Yes, this process will take some time. Most responsible pet owners would have little problem with putting their animals through the same rigorous application process as they do.

I submit these ideas as a starting point, and to reverse the diminishing number of homes available for animals.

Please note the following as additional suggestions:

1. No cardboard litter boxes. Insist on strong litter boxes and appropriate disposal of waste. Waste must be well wrapped, and not break open in a trash chute or other.

2. Dogs - Consider a designated ‘poop spot’, where owners must clean up.

3. Dogs again – an owner may say they have a quiet dog, but it is often an entirely different story when the dog is left alone while the owner is at work. Verify where possible (again, neighbours, etc).

4. Monthly inspections. After a year of inspections with no problems, then twice-yearly, or none at all.

5. Have to provide annual update of pet vaccinations.

6. If there is any damage or staining in common areas – costs will be split among all registered pet owners.

7. Point out to applicants the advantages of registration; it is a crucial safety measure in case of fire or other emergency. There is also ‘stress’ involved in ‘hiding’ a pet, and that is not necessary.

6. Designate a certain number of suites per building as pet-friendly.

catmandu
09-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Those Are Very Good Ideas. The Only Thing That A Super Might Compalin About Is The Tenants Who Wont Let On That They Have Pets And Sadly Those Are The Ones Who Will Not Take Proper Care Of Them.
There Are Many Good Ideas There We Hope That Someone Will Listen.

Freedom
09-18-2007, 06:32 PM
I put suggested changes in blue; and comments in red. Great job, Candace!

To Rental and Condominium Professionals:

The “boom” in Alberta is almost old news, yet its effects are still with us. One of the results is that the housing market is very tight for people, and more difficult still for people with pets.

The word “pets” will naturally raise many hackles among housing professionals, and this is entirely understandable. I hope, however, that you will take a few minutes to review the following idea of Pet Registration, as drafted by myself and a number of other per owners. (Please also see Options at the end of this list).

1. Pet Registration: This is required of every resident, new or existing, who wishes to have a pet in their unit. Because this will involve the filling out of forms and followup by housing staff – or possibly hiring an extra person part-time - a non-refundable Application Fee and further Registration Fee will have to apply. This is suggested in lieu of an extra damage deposit or other financial cost. Other required documentation may include:

a) Proof of vaccination and spay/neuter, and name of vet/shelter. This is to be in writing. If applicant already has pets, same records are to be produced.

b) The appropriate staff member must “interview” the pet as well as the applicant.

c) Three references from former landlords/neighbours/roommates.

d) If not a new applicant, call/email Animal Control/Humane Society with applicant’s previous address to see about complaints. Sorry, I don't understand this. If not a new applicant to what?

e) Two-three month probation, which applicants sign and agree to. If there are verifiable problems or complaints, resident is given 1 month to rehome the pet. Otherwise, animal is surrendered to Animal Control/Humane Society. Alternatively, the tenant might have the option to break the lease, and relocate.

f) Pets must have city license.

g) Applicant’s insurance to cover potential pet damage, freeing the management from any liability and cost.

Yes, this process will take some time. Most responsible pet owners would have little problem with putting their animals through the same rigorous application process as they go through to obtain the rental.

I submit these ideas as a starting point, and to reverse the diminishing number of homes available for people with pets.

Please note the following as additional suggestions:

1. No cardboard litter boxes. Insist on strong litter boxes and appropriate disposal of waste. Waste must be well wrapped, and not break open in a trash chute or other receptacle.

2. Dogs - Consider a designated ‘poop spot’, where owners must clean up.

3. Dogs again – an owner may say they have a quiet dog, but it is often an entirely different story when the dog is left alone while the owner is at work. Verify where possible (again, neighbours, etc).

4. Monthly inspections. After a year of inspections with no problems, then twice-yearly, or none at all.

5. Have to provide annual update of pet vaccinations.

6. If there is any damage or staining in common areas – costs will be split among all registered pet owners. In reality, unless they have a deposit on file to draw down, no one is going to cough up the money for this.

7. Point out to applicants the advantages of registration; it is a crucial safety measure in case of fire or other emergency. There is also ‘stress’ involved in ‘hiding’ a pet, and that is not necessary.

6. Designate a certain number of suites per building as pet-friendly.[/QUOTE]

Catty1
09-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi, Freedom:

New Applicant: Person applying for an apartment or a waiver with a Condo Board on buying a condo.

NOT new applicant :D : Person who already lives in the building and wants to get a pet.

Good point on the deposit - though after paying for pet registration, I would hope any additional cost to the damage deposit would be minor - OR have the DD included in the registration, with that refunded if the applicant it not approved (for pet or non-pet reasons).

Gary, I would hope that those pet owners who have paid to register would be good 'pet police' and encourage their neighbours to register. The added idea of paying for registration is that owners don't want others to get away with not having paid anything. Know what I mean? They'd be more likely to speak up.

Maybe an "amnesty" of 30 days, with a special introductory rate for people who are hiding pets to come forward and register them. Hiding is not fun...ask Kt_lvs_kitties!