PDA

View Full Version : Parvo in California

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi all :-)

We hit California a few days ago, and are working our way down the coast. We've been hearing in the news that there is a Parvo outbreak which has me concerned because I walk CJ outside.

Does anyone know if cats can get Parvo? They just mentioned on the news that people can't get it, but what about cats?

I also heard there's a ton of fleas in the area, so I'm thinking I'm just going to keep CJ in until we head out of California. He will NOT like that, so any info anyone can give me on this will be appreciated. :)

Glacier
09-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Parvo is a dog specific virus. It doesn't infect cats.

caseysmom
09-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Welcome to California! The northern coast is beautiful, enjoy.

Laura's Babies
09-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Just make sure he has his flea treatment (whichever you use) and I think he will be OK flea wise.

wolflady
09-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Welcome back to CA! ;) CJ should be fine against Parvo since this affects only dogs (particularly puppies). Frontline or Advantage will help protect against any fleas you may encounter, so I think you're good to go! Have fun!

**hugs**

lizbud
09-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Parvo is a dog specific virus. It doesn't infect cats.

Yes & the feline equivalent is called Panleukopenia Virus. It is spread the
same way as Parvo in dogs.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Yes & the feline equivalent is called Panleukopenia Virus. It is spread the
same way as Parvo in dogs.

Ok.....so I was all "whew" until I read this. Does this mean I don't have to worry unless the news reports say there is a panleukopenia outbreak?

Thanks everyone, but it appears that at this campground it's not going to be much of an issue anyway. I took CJ out last night and he wasn't too thrilled with all the noise around (traffic, people, dogs, etc) - we've been in some pretty quiet places lately ;) - so this morning he didn't even beg to go out. This afternoon I expected the wailing at the door again, but no go, so I think he realizes he's better off inside here - whew!

Oh, and I normally don't treat for fleas since it has NEVER been an issue....as long as I've had Tubby & Peanut and now CJ & Robin I've never once put a flea collar on anyone....until CJ goes out next time. I did buy a Hartz collar at the store just now, and I'll put it on him when we go out and take it off when we get back in. Is that defeating the purpose?

Seems so much easier to just keep him in. ;)

Glacier
09-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Is CJ vaccinated? If he is, you are probably safe from Pana-leuk.

I'd throw that Hartz collar away though. Hartz flea products have a long history of making animals ill.
http://www.hartzvictims.org

mruffruff
09-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Yes, please toss the collar. Collars aren't especially effective anyway. Use something like Frontline Plus or (my favorite) Revolution. Revolution also keeps the ear mites away.

Randi
09-19-2007, 02:16 PM
It's good to hear from you Debbie! I don't know about Parvo, but it seems you've got info from others.

Must be wonderful to be in CA now... weather still nice, while it's getting a bit chilli here. If you keep going South, you're bound to end up at Sara's - see Meetings! ;) :)

Giselle
09-19-2007, 08:28 PM
:eek: Wait, there's a Parvo outbreak in California? Do you have any links or articles???

And welcome to Cali, by the way! :)

Cinder & Smoke
09-19-2007, 09:54 PM
I'd throw that Hartz collar away though.
Hartz flea products have a long history of making animals ill.

http://www.hartzvictims.org

:eek:

Ditto on the *TOSS* a Hartz Flea product ... BAD :( News on a LOT of web sites.
Doc always takes a "dim view" of over-the-counter flea products for dogs OR cats ...

Visit the Local DVM and get a cat-sized dose or two of a NAME-brand flea control product.
(You'll sleep better) ;)

Logan
09-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Hi Debbie! It is great to hear from you!

Debbie, just to be on the safe side, I think I would use Revolution on CJ if he is going to be going outside. The reason I like Revolution for Butter is that it also has the heart worm preventative. Better safe than sorry, I would think.

Hugs to CJ. :) Why is the little girl's name escaping me right now? Hugs to her, too! :o

Xenophon
06-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Their is a strain of Parvo Virus that humans can catch. But it is not transmittable from dogs to humans or from humans to dogs. It is fairly rare.

To learn more about The Parvo Virus
http://www.missionvet.com/Common%20Conditions/parvo.htm
and
http://www.missionvet.com/k9%20conditions/parvo.htm

smokey the elder
06-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Frontline and Advantage are now available over-the-counter.

Panleuk=feline distemper; your cats have probably had shots for this.