PDA

View Full Version : Swelling from a Sting

sparks19
09-18-2007, 11:38 AM
I got stung on Sunday. I didn't get to see what I was actually stung by because I started shaking my hand around like a tool and shouting profanities lol. Anyway I got stung on my pinkie finger and now it is really red, swollen and itchy. I mentioned it to my OB yesterday to see what I was allowed to take for it and he said Benedryl should really help.

Well it's NOT.

the swelling hasn't gone down at all and it is SO SO SO SOOOOOOOOO itchy. I want to scratch it for hours and hours but I know that will only make it worse lol.

There is no stinger in there.... we checked and double and triple checked. What helps this sort of thing?

Karen
09-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Cool compresses - or just stick it in a cup of cold water.
Baking soda and a little water in a paste.

Stubbing your toe so that hurts more than your finger ...

sparks19
09-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Cool compresses - or just stick it in a cup of cold water.
Baking soda and a little water in a paste.

Stubbing your toe so that hurts more than your finger ...

I have gone through so many ice cubes trying to ice it down and the cold water with ice cubes in it. it really helps take the itch away but not the swelling.

Hmmm baking soda and water. I will try that. Should I cover my whole finger or just where the actual sting is?

It doesn't actually hurt really at all..... other than the skin is quite irritated because it is stretched to it's limit with the swelling so everything feels like sandpaper on it lol.

sasvermont
09-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Have you tried to GOOGLE the question?

I remember, as a child, someone telling me to put mud on a sting. Let it dry. Go figure!

I bet you get lots of suggestions. :eek:

sirrahved
09-18-2007, 12:44 PM
make a thick paste of the baking soda/water, and slather it on the central sting area.

moosmom
09-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Mud or meat tenderizer will work. Did you get the stinger out?? If not, take your driver's license or a credit card and gently go over the site with it. That'll get the stinger out without squeezing the venom into the site.

sparks19
09-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Have you tried to GOOGLE the question?

I remember, as a child, someone telling me to put mud on a sting. Let it dry. Go figure!

I bet you get lots of suggestions. :eek:

Well I did.... but since I don't know exactly what stung me..... I get a lot of mixed answers lol.

there is no stinger in there so I doubt it was a bee..... don't they leave the stinger behind and then die? I never found a bee laying around and no stinger.

Hubby said that even some caterpillars can sting. I didn't know that. and we were under a tree. maybe it fell into my hand and I squeezed it and it stung me. it's a long shot though lol.

I have been stung by hornets and wasps and bees before and never had a reaction like this. so I REALLY have no idea what the sting is from.

sparks19
09-18-2007, 01:23 PM
make a thick paste of the baking soda/water, and slather it on the central sting area.

Do I wait till it dries before washing it off?

sirrahved
09-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Leave it on about 15 minutes. That's what a lady told me when I was stung by a bee and had a bad reaction.

Sevaede
09-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Well I did.... but since I don't know exactly what stung me..... I get a lot of mixed answers lol.

there is no stinger in there so I doubt it was a bee..... don't they leave the stinger behind and then die? I never found a bee laying around and no stinger.

Hubby said that even some caterpillars can sting. I didn't know that. and we were under a tree. maybe it fell into my hand and I squeezed it and it stung me. it's a long shot though lol.

I have been stung by hornets and wasps and bees before and never had a reaction like this. so I REALLY have no idea what the sting is from.

There is a specific type of bee that drops it stinger and dies. The rest can sting several times in a row and still keep their stinger (my brother knows from experience. :p )

Maybe a fire ant or a spider?

sparks19
09-18-2007, 02:59 PM
There is a specific type of bee that drops it stinger and dies. The rest can sting several times in a row and still keep their stinger (my brother knows from experience. :p )

Maybe a fire ant or a spider?

Interesting. didnt' know that either.

Whatever it was.... it was big enough that I could feel it wriggling to get out when I closed my fingers and then it stung me lol. and then i started shaking my hand about like a crazy person and hollering out profanities hahaha.

i've just never had a reaction like this to a sting before. maybe it was a bite. I don't know how to tell the difference.

JuniorxMyxLove
09-18-2007, 04:08 PM
OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH!! haha I've seen someone get stung in their armpit, the top of their head, and between their toes(tried to kick the wasp away) but never on the pinky. hmm. ouch i bet it hurt. haha i got stung on the forhead once, it swelled up and was all sore for a few days. i HATE getting stung..thats why i leaveout sugar dishoap and water (mixed together) to attract bees/wasps/hornetsand japanese beetles and KILL THEM! haha got off topic there, sorry....

I got bitten by a spider camping a few years ago on my ankle...it got all swollen and red and itchy, sounds like what you have? idk. my friend told me it was a jumpng spider (but don't believe my friend!) I just put anti-itchy cream on it and forgot about it, and it went away after a while.

then once i got stung by a black hornet (my sister was stung twice, we hit the nest on accident with a broom) on my leg (poor leggie!) and it got all swollen and I think itchy..i was allergic to BLACK hornets but not regular hornets or any sort of bee or wasp. but it was so bad I had to take a special medicine that my doctor gave me for a week or two. it was either that or getting a bunch of shots. haha. maybe this is what happened? i dunno.

just thought i'd let you know.
hope it gets better!

KittyGurl
09-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Check with a doctor. They could tell what stung you.

I got bit by a spider a couple weeks ago and where it bit me was a big, red bump. It was itchy too. Try putting mud on the sting. It helps the itch and the swelling go away.

Feel better!

critter crazy
09-18-2007, 04:26 PM
You know, you should realy learn to keep your hands out of the way of those pesky stingers!!:p

I always use water and baking soda when I get stung, works pretty good, especially if you do it immediately after you get stung. Feel better hun!:)

Sevaede
09-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Interesting. didnt' know that either.

Whatever it was.... it was big enough that I could feel it wriggling to get out when I closed my fingers and then it stung me lol. and then i started shaking my hand about like a crazy person and hollering out profanities hahaha.

i've just never had a reaction like this to a sting before. maybe it was a bite. I don't know how to tell the difference.

I don't really know how to tell the difference. The only reason I know that is because I did a tiny bit of research on bees earlier this year (for a friend who was having bee issues). My brother disturbed a nest of bees and got stung four times by the same bee (that would be his experience XD).

I've had your situation happen to me, actually! One time, when I was a wee little kid, I was at a babysitters. I pretend died and flopped over on the ground, near a tree. I threw my hand against the tree and got stung by a bee in between two fingers. I looked at my hand and SCREAMED! In retrospect, it was kind of funny. XD

DrKym
09-18-2007, 04:40 PM
baking soda and water make a paste,,,,,,,,,apply and voila gone!

sparks19
09-18-2007, 07:59 PM
You know, you should realy learn to keep your hands out of the way of those pesky stingers!!:p

I always use water and baking soda when I get stung, works pretty good, especially if you do it immediately after you get stung. Feel better hun!:)

LOL I know.... that'll teach me to mess with bugs. I'll remember that next time lol

Well I didn't think to do it right after getting stung lol hopefully two days later will be just as effective :D

Thank you :p

mike001
09-18-2007, 08:11 PM
I've heard you can put amonia on it and it helps...don't know if it works though, I've never had to try it.

sparks19
09-19-2007, 12:48 PM
WOW. I dont' know if it's just coincidence or what....

but i tried the baking soda thing last night. Nothing was happening at the time but today the swelling is half what it was. i can almost bend my finger :D I really thought that wouldn't work. but it seems like it did. and the itching is really minimal now too.

WOOHOO thanks