PDA

View Full Version : Some advice about potential jobs?

dab_20
09-17-2007, 02:00 PM
I'll be turning 16 this year, and I've already got a car. I can't insure it until I get a job and some money... I worked at Subway and I really did not like it at all. I would really like to work with animals, since I already know I'll enjoy that. I'm sick of going to work everyday really hating it. I know there are not many options of working with animals when your my age... but does anyone know of any? Or how I can check?

Kfamr
09-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Why not apply to Petsmart, Petco, etc? You're not necessarily working with animals but I'd think it'd be be more enjoyable then the food service. :)

Blackrose
09-17-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm sixteen as well (seventeen in three months! :D ) and I work at a vet office in the boarding kennels and dog bathing/grooming section of it. I got the job when I was 15, but it was because of connections in the right places. (My dad helped teach the boss' daughter in college for Pharmacy.) They haven't regretted it though, and I'm actually the only employee in the kennel/bathing section that is still around from when I originally started! :rolleyes:

The most simple thing you can do is ask. If a big chain petstore (Petsmart, Petco, etc.) won't take you on, then go to a smaller local feed store. Go to a grooming parlor and ask if they have any job openings for a bather. Go to a veterinary clinic and ask if they would be able to start you off on some odd jobs, and then work your way up to working in the kennel portion (if they have boarding).

dab_20
09-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Thank you for the advice. Those are actually very good ideas... I'll have to check some places out!

.sarah
09-17-2007, 06:34 PM
I started working in the kennel area of a vet clinic when I was 15. Might be worth a shot. I learned a LOT working there, and even though at times it was a grueling job (a lot of hard labor that you wouldn't imagine, cleaning up vomit, other body fluids, etc.) it was so worth it to me.

Alysser
09-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Everyone beat me at it but I think you can start working at kennels when you're 15, depending on what their insurance is. I am 14 but I can't work at the one Sassy stays at yet because their insurance company(I'm guessing if a dog bites the person or if the person kill/hurts a dog) only covers people 15 years old and up. Also, what about a horse barn? You could possibly work there if you're old enough. Doesn't your dad live on a farm? That is experience right there! Good luck!

crow_noir
09-18-2007, 12:58 AM
A training facility may need some extra hands.

dab_20
09-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. I'm thinking of going to check out some vetrinary places. Next year I'm actually going to do a college class to get credits and become a vet tech before I graduate... so maybe some of this experience will help.

Alyssa, I would love to work at a barn, but I live in a big city so the only way is if I travel a bit... and with school that might not work out.

Thanks again!