PDA

View Full Version : "Shelob's Lair" (warning: not for arachnophobics!)

Kirsten
09-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Found this little girl at our trash can today, and I thought she was really beautiful. She was just preparing her next meal! :)

http://www.catmom.de/pix/spider_new.jpg

I would have liked to have the background to be more blurry and less colorful, but this is all my camera can do. :(

Kirsten

BC_MoM
09-17-2007, 01:02 PM
That's beautiful and disgusting at the same time! :D haha

How's this fix?
http://i2.tinypic.com/6h3dufk.jpg

Laura's Babies
09-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Wow! Great shot Kristen!

BC_MoM... Wow! That pops it right out at you!

lvpets2002
09-17-2007, 01:17 PM
;) Oh wow this spider is adorable with color.. Great pics thanks..

Romance
09-17-2007, 01:18 PM
what kind of spider is that?

Catlady711
09-17-2007, 07:08 PM
My best guess is it's a Aculepeira armida or Orb Spider

http://science.howstuffworks.com/spider2.htm

Very nice pix! Neat colored spider!

Kirsten
09-19-2007, 12:45 PM
BC_MoM, that looks much better!! :) Thanks! :)

what kind of spider is that?

Not sure, but I was told it's a so-called garden spider, or Araneus diadematus. As far as I know, they live in Europe only.

Kirsten

ramanth
09-19-2007, 01:02 PM
What a gorgeous garden spider! The ones around here are a brilliant yellow and really stand out among the tall grass and pines. :)

smokey the elder
09-19-2007, 02:42 PM
I have no problem with spiders, as long as they are outside where they belong!

Hellow
09-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Not to insult anyone, but i don't see why everyone is so scared of spiders?!?!:confused: According to some of the best scientists in the world who's names i do not know, it is inappropriate to classify any living thing, be it animal or insect, by human emotions. They are just doing what we all have to do, stay alive. If you don't want them in your house, don't kill it unless its dangerous. Just sit it outside. Next time you go to squish an spider, consider all of the beneficial things they do. Like they eat otherwise dangerous - to - your - plants bugs, they just basically controll otherwise dangerous bugs.

gini
09-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Not to insult anyone, but i don't see why everyone is so scared of spiders?!?!:confused: According to some of the best scientists in the world who's names i do not know, it is inappropriate to classify any living thing, be it animal or insect, by human emotions. They are just doing what we all have to do, stay alive. If you don't want them in your house, don't kill it unless its dangerous. Just sit it outside. Next time you go to squish an spider, consider all of the beneficial things they do. Like they eat otherwise dangerous - to - your - plants bugs, they just basically controll otherwise dangerous bugs.

I tried to keep all of the above in mind when I was confronted with a black widow spider - full hourglass in view - and I just couldn't handle it.

But I did coax a cricket into a jar with the promise that I was going to save its life if it willingly went into the jar - which it did - and I gently placed it outside.
Does that count?

Kristen - beautiful spider - I could have lived with that one too.

Catlady711
09-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Found this and since the topic was spiders thought it might be of interest.

http://www.calpoison.org/public/spiders.html
Black widow spiders generally live in trash, closets, attics, woodpiles, garages and other dark places. They are found throughout California, especially in the warmer regions such as the Central Valley and Southern California. Only the female spider is dangerous to humans.

What does a black widow spider look like?
The black widow spider is a shiny, inky black spider with a large round tail segment (abdomen). Including its legs, the black widow generally measures from one-half inch to one inch in length. Red to orange-colored markings, usually in the shape of an hourglass, are found on the underside of the belly.

What are the symptoms of a bite?
A black widow spider bite gives the appearance of a target, with a pale area surrounded by a red ring. Severe muscle pain and cramps may develop in the first two hours. Severe cramps are usually first felt in the back, shoulders, abdomen and thighs. Other symptoms include weakness, sweating, headache, anxiety, itching, nausea, vomiting, difficult breathing and increased blood pressure. Young children, the elderly and those with high blood pressure are at highest risk of developing symptoms from a black widow spider bite.

How dangerous are black widow spider bites?
If a black widow spider bites a person, do not panic! No one in the United States has died from a black widow spider bite in over 10 years. Very often the black widow will not inject any venom into the bite and no serious symptoms develop. Wash the wound well with soap and water to help prevent infection.

If muscle cramps develop, take the patient to the nearest hospital. Some victims, especially young children, may be admitted overnight for observation and treatment. There is treatment for a black widow spider bite that can take care of the symptoms. Various medications are used to treat the muscle cramps, spasms and pain of a bite. Black widow spider antivenin is seldom necessary.