PDA

View Full Version : No Contact for breakups works for jobs as well...

Catty1
09-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi. Things have been coming to a head with the company I work for.

I am one of three employees left. Up til now, we have been managed by a brilliant and creative entrepreneur who thrives on brainstorming and impulse and is often scattered and unfocussed.

These talents are wonderful for some things - not for others. We finally got a corporate guy on board at the beginning of 2007 to raise capital to move the company up and ahead. Our entrepreneur FINALLY got interested in reading over the business plan TODAY after being REALLY chewed out by our corporate guy on Friday.

I have been holding the fort together - and in the last several weeks, have been subject to crying bouts accompanied by sudden big nosebleeds. I have a doctor appt, but I know what it is...anxiety and burnout.

I have NEVER had a job description there, NEVER a written contract. I have been earning several dollars above minimum wage for 2 1/2 years. In spite of it being a publishing company, I never have been able to move from 'entry level' to a writing or other creative position.

And no one has been paid for some time - we have another staff member who has suspended services until she is paid.

So without getting upset...I am out of there. Not answering EN's phone calls. Emailed and said I was having major anxiety about coming in there.

With no writers or production people for the next magazine, my presence there will make NO difference whatsoever at this point.

If the Biz Plan gets finalized, and the company is reorganized, I would love to go back. We would have management people doing the actual managing!
And salespeople doing sales...writers writing...designers desigining...'and a partridge in a pear tree.....' :rolleyes:

It doesn't seem like much...but for me to draw the line and do what is best for me is a major thing.

I may start feeling a lot better REALLY soon.

Thanks for the ear/eye. :)

DrKym
09-16-2007, 01:44 PM
GOOD FOR YOU CANDACE!!! Here is to hoping you start feeling great SOON!

Hugs!
kym

moosmom
09-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Candace,

You are a very strong person and I admire you for standing up for yourself. I would NEVER work without getting paid. That is a slap in the face. It's saying that you're good enough to do a job but not good enough to get paid for your work. That is ridiculous. I hope to God for your sake and the others that they wise up and realize what a good thing they have going.

Catty1
09-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks so much. The new VP/Corporate guy is REALLY good. He has blown up at EN a couple of times. I think Friday did it!

EN has fought wonderfully on his own for 15 years to get this to where it is...he has tons of energy and talent. But now his child has to go to high school and college, know what I mean? :)

moosmom
09-16-2007, 02:25 PM
But now his child has to go to high school and college, know what I mean?

That's no excuse for not paying the employees for their hard work.

Catty1
09-16-2007, 03:19 PM
You probably knew that "child" meant his company, which he started from scratch.

Because he is NOT a management type, paychecks have often run behind.

Trying to keep his "kid" to his chest will do NO good to anyone.

The "village" means letting other people take their place - corporate, etc - and develop this thing into a profit-making enterprise. THEN we'll have a real company.

Meanwhile, the postal outlet in a nearby drugstore here pays well...and I am taking my resume to the manager tomorrow! :)

phesina
09-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Best wishes, Candace. Good for you standing up to him and telling him no money, no workee.

My mother used to respond with a biblical quote when we heard about workers going on strike somewhere, something along the line of "The laborer is worthy of his hire."

And whaddaya mean, "It doesn't seem like much..." That is a hell of a big, brave thing that you did! And I agree, I bet you will start feeling much better.

Meanwhile, the Postal job sounds promising. ;) ;)

Please keep us posted.

Right on, sister!

Pat

Freedom
09-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Meanwhile, the Postal job sounds promising. ;) ;)

Oh Candace, FINALLY!!! I am sure you feel a bit like being in the ocean without a life vest (never mind a life boat!) but you really did need to take action. I hope you feel better quickly!

I am not sure about the postal reference; just don't "go postal" on them, ya hear! ;)

There IS something better for you out there!

Catty1
09-16-2007, 07:51 PM
LOL! "going postal"! Nah, I have GOOD meds! :D

Our national post office, Canada Post, also has outlets in some pharmacies. There is still a labour shortage here, and they really need people. My resume and I go in tomorrow, and the place is just a 10 minute walk away.

But I am so drained (with relief?) that I just wanna sleep for 3 days...I think I am getting a cold (really).

I didn't even quit. It was just...enough. My whole system just stopped. No more. Can't.

I am even screening my calls...I will not go there. It's like crawling out from under a weight, or under a wall where I've dug dirt bit by bit to just get away...and I am lying in a safe spot, tired.

Does that make any sense???

thank you all - I need HUGS!!!!! :(

Lady's Human
09-16-2007, 08:14 PM
HEY! Leave the postal jokes out of this! I resemble that remark! :p

Catty1
09-16-2007, 08:22 PM
HEY! Leave the postal jokes out of this! I resemble that remark!

Ok, I'll "lett'er" alone! :p

Freedom
09-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Candace:

{{{HUGS}}}

Lady's Human: apologies, apologies!

Laura's Babies
09-16-2007, 08:37 PM
I don't know why you waited so long to do this.... You can't take empty promises to the bank!

Lady's Human
09-16-2007, 09:02 PM
If anyone in this joint is going to go postal it's ME!

(I have seniority! :p )

Catty1
09-16-2007, 09:41 PM
If anyone in this joint is going to go postal it's ME!

(I have seniority! )

FINE!!! BE that way! LOLOL :D

crow_noir
09-17-2007, 03:26 AM
Congrats on sticking up for yourself!!!

Good Luck on moving forward!

*hugs*

kuhio98
09-17-2007, 09:27 AM
I don't know why you waited so long to do this.... You can't take empty promises to the bank!Ditto! Why do you think you put up with this treatment for so long? I hope you know that you deserve better.

Catty1
09-17-2007, 11:58 AM
R called twice this morning. I just let calls go to VM.

The first one - he had read my emails and wanted to discuss the issues with me. He honestly does, I know that - but it won't do any good.

Second - he realized I was not answering my phone for some reason, still wanted me to call him. There was a quaver in his voice a couple of times that I never had heard.

Here is how to NOT enable: Let him hit his bottom, I don't run to rescue his pain.

I did email saying why indirect contact was best for me, that I know he meant well, and that I was taking a resume out this afternoon. That I was pro-Candace surviving and not anti-anyone else.

I added that "I just can't anymore. I can't do this anymore." The company is sick and dysfunctional right now.

This is not easy. But it is the only way that things might get better.

First, it is I that has to get better.
:(

phesina
09-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Good work, Candace! You are doing a great job sticking to your guns. You take it easy and do whatever you need to do to feel better. The problems of that company are not something you have to be the least bit concerned about now.

Best wishes with your job application! Quite a few years back I met a woman who worked at the post office in her town. She had a purse or tote bag with her that said in big letters on the side:

DON'T ANNOY ME.. I'M A POSTAL WORKER.

Big hugs and purrs to you,
Pat and cats

jennielynn1970
09-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Believe me, you make sense.

I tend to do this myself. I remember loving to talk on the phone as a teen and in my early 20s. Now... forget it. I never use all of my minutes per month on my cell or my home phone (maybe 250mins. a month max, and that's basically just to mom and dad).

But I am so drained (with relief?) that I just wanna sleep for 3 days...I think I am getting a cold (really).

I am even screening my calls...I will not go there. It's like crawling out from under a weight, or under a wall where I've dug dirt bit by bit to just get away...and I am lying in a safe spot, tired.

Does that make any sense???

jennielynn1970
09-17-2007, 08:35 PM
And no one has been paid for some time - we have another staff member who has suspended services until she is paid.

Another reason I love being in a union. Not being paid NEVER happens. When I first started working at the school district, they tried to tell me because one of the HR people was on vacation I would have to wait 45 days to get paid, if I needed them to, they'd call the places that I had bills due to talk to them. What a joke!! My union rep got on the the phone on day 30 and told the assistant to the superintendent that if my check wasn't in my hand by end of business day, we were filing a grievance. Let's just say that the superintendent's secretary hand delivered my paycheck that afternoon. ;) :D