PDA

View Full Version : Snake!

sirrahbed
09-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Scary!! A few minutes agon my hubby called me to the hallway and there was a snake! I don't know HOW it got in the house as everything was closed up and we don't live near woods or anything. Earlier today we did have the patio door open and in fact hubby was laying out his hunting tent....he never saw anything and worked on the tent for quite awhile...hmmmmmm

I have tried to find a snake that looks like this in my snake book and on the internet but nothing looks familiar except maybe a Missauga? We see snakes in the gardne now and then but they are just garters and this was no garter snake - same colors pretty much but marked with rings/spots and not long stripes.

It was about 10-12" long, small diameter about like a woman's pinky finger. It was vividly marked in dark and light - maybe black or brownish/maroon and a cream to yellow. The marking were small but numerous and distinct - sort of like a series of small bands like a ringtail though some may have been splotchy. It reminds me of a rattlesnake though very small - and I don't think we have many rattlers in western Ohio much, if at all.

This snake was also VERY fast moving as we tried to catch it. At one point it was cupled up behind a cabinet and picked it's head up a couple inches like a cobra would. Kitty Robbie stuck his nose into the crack behind the cabinet and the snake STRUCK fast and hard at him. I am not sure it bit him but I don't think so - Robbie jumped backwards and away and seems fine though the snake actually struck him :(

Do any of you know what kind of snake this could have been?? Does it sound familiar?? Do all snakes coil, raise and strike if they feel cornered?

edit: I think I found the ID - an eastern milk snake looks like what we had. Nonvenomous but does strike. Poor Robbie!! Scared him - he is still jumpy. It also looks like a fox snake but thinner. So, guessing we had a baby or young eastern milk snake :cool: Hubby had just brought the tent in to the patio room to take it down and it had been in the yard all afternoon.

Laura's Babies
09-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Ewwwwww! YIKES!! I would be freaking out with a snake in my house!! Ewwwwwww!

Cinder & Smoke
09-14-2007, 11:20 PM
Kitty Robbie stuck his nose into the crack behind the cabinet and
the snake STRUCK fast and hard at him.

an eastern milk snake looks like what we had.
Nonvenomous but does strike.
Poor Robbie!! Scared him - he is still jumpy.

:confused:

So .... uhhhhh ... just where IS Mr. Snakey??

In ONE piece an still *slitherin* in Ohio
... or is he now *slitherin* under the Bridge?

krazyaboutkatz
09-14-2007, 11:24 PM
How scary.:eek: I'm glad to hear that it wasn't a poisonous snake. My brothers loved to keep snakes as pets so I got pretty used to them but I sure would be scared to see one in my home. What did you do with it?

sirrahbed
09-15-2007, 12:17 AM
:D Mr. Snakey was picked up with a stick and tossed out the front door and allowed to slither away - well, it WAS a baby :p

sirrahved
09-15-2007, 09:11 AM
I was going to suggest a milk snake. You're lucky, they get quite a bit bigger! When I was a tween, my dad picked a rather large one up in the yard. I thought it was dead, and then in coiled around his whole arm! I got so scared, and of course, he laughed so hard!

Cinder & Smoke
09-15-2007, 12:01 PM
:D Mr. Snakey was picked up with a stick and tossed out the front door
and allowed to slither away ...

;)
Another "Soft Touch"! :)

We used to have *Snakey Visitors* :eek: come crawling into the Radio Shop every year.
Cinder & SmokeMutt were always a little timid around the Visitor ... so I'd scoop it up and
take it outside for the Snake Toss into the grass beside the shop. Case closed.

Till about a day later ... I think they just went around and came in the back door. :rolleyes:

I swear I *evicted* one snake three days in a row! We started going WAY back by the
creek when re-homing the lil varments!

If you get a "return visit" ... you might want to *snake toss* a bit more distant from home!

Randi
09-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Uhh, it's scary not to know which one it is - glad it turned out to be non poisonous. Not sure how I would react to a snake in my flat, but I bet Fister would be thrilled! :D

jennielynn1970
09-15-2007, 05:35 PM
:D Mr. Snakey was picked up with a stick and tossed out the front door and allowed to slither away - well, it WAS a baby :p

Baby or no... you bite my cats, you're gonna be dealing with momma!!! I don't think I would have been as nice to it.

shais_mom
09-15-2007, 05:52 PM
several months ago I had my phone txts set on the claps or something and it sounds similiar to a rattlesnake apparently. It went off at my parents house and my dad had a few choice words and said he hadn't heard that noise in several years. :eek:
I'm not a snake fan. I was rather icked out when I had to remove a dead mouse from the drawer and it was caught in the trap and I only saw the back half of it.