View Full Version : Help -- bloody incision!

catnapper
09-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Of course he waits until after the vet is closed to have something that freaks me out.

The incision looks like a clot or scab has formed over the main hole, and there's dried blood around it. There is pee in his litterbox, and no signs of blood there. Hubby's thinking he tried to bite his stitches and the e-collar scraped the sutures to cause blood. I think thats most likely the culprit (especially since there's no blood in his litterbox)

He's acting more and more like himself and even tried to escape the room when I went to visit him. So whatever caused the blood isn't causing him any discomfort.

In the meantime I'm WORRIED. You can bet the vet will get a call first thing tomorrow morning.

Catty1
09-14-2007, 09:22 PM
As long as there is no swelling or fever, or any more bleeding, I would think he is ok.

Can you leave a message on the vet's answering service - or is it better to phone 'live' in the morning?

HUGS - that nawtee boy! HE doesn't know he's just had surgery! :)

catnapper
09-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I just spent time with him. I tried to put a compress on it to soften the blood and he didn't complain at all, so its not causing pain. In fact, he stretched out across me and purred as if he couldn't be happier and more content while I patted a wet towel across his butt. Strange cat! :rolleyes:

I swear, Pouncer is here just to keep me on my toes and give my life some extra excitement. Pouncer, my darling brat, please give me excitement in the form of playing with the laser light, NOT in the form of health emergencies!

rosethecopycat
09-14-2007, 10:13 PM
I just had a foster that's spay scar was opening up.
Vet just put in a few staples. Didn't even phase her, when they went in or came out :eek:

Do you have a 'dreaded' E collar or soft E collar?

catnapper
09-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Its a hard plastic e-collar. I didn't even know there were options available.

He's doing so well, except for the blood. I really do think the hard edge of the e-collar scraped across his sutures. I'll still call the vet in the morning anyway. I know my vet has off tomorrow but there are two other vets in the office.

Laura's Babies
09-14-2007, 10:24 PM
As I have said, life at your house had to be so boring before that Nawtie boy came to live there... All he is doing is keeping up his reputation.. NOTHING can be unevenful when he is involved... He LOVES DRAMA! (especially the upsetting Mommie kind!)

krazyaboutkatz
09-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Kim,It's been so long ago that I don't even remember what Storm's incison looked like and if what you're seeing is normal or not. I hope it won't get infected. You may want to ask them about using a soft collar like the one that Starr had for his spay/neuter surgery. The only problem with a soft collar is that it can be torn up more easily than the hard kind. I'll attach a picture of Starr's.

jenluckenbach
09-15-2007, 05:15 AM
When Rutherford had his PU surgery I was told that a little blood would be normal. So, while I would ask the vet for peace of mind, I would not worry TOO much.

Kirsten
09-15-2007, 10:55 AM
OMG, I didn't even know Pouncer had surgery! What kind of surgery did he have?

But glad to hear he's doing fine! When Luna had her surgery, the incision started bleeding after 2 days, because she fell from a sideboard. I had it checked by a vet (was a Saturday also), but it wasn't too bad. Hope Pouncer will be alright!

Lily is sending extra purrs! :)

Kirsten

momcat
09-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Glad to hear that Pouncer is on the mend and pray that soon all will be history. Sunds like you should talk to your vet about the bleeding though.

sirrahbed
09-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Any info from the vet today? I hope that Pouncer is healing well and is back to his sweet self very soon :) I have only had one cat go through the PU surgery - RB Harvey. It cleared up ALL of his troubles. Get better Pouncer!!

catmandu
09-15-2007, 03:55 PM
I Would Wipe It With Warm Water Maybe One Of Those Towette Things That They Have At Restaurants. I A;ways Ask The Wait Person At Tony Romas For Some As They Really Come In Handy Dandy For Wiping Little Cat Faces And Oujthies.
Pouncer Angels A Comong To Add Angel Kissies As Well.