PDA

View Full Version : What can I do?

MomToThree
09-14-2007, 06:35 AM
I know I haven't been here in a while.

But my female cat loves to go outside, so we let her out in the backyard. Which is completely fenced in. We have a 6 foot privacy fence up. Well Rachel never leaves the yard. And I mean never. You can go out there at any given time and she is laying down on the deck or playing on the deck.

Well this morning at 7 am, I heard cats fighting. I thought nothing of it. It happens a lot around here. There is a bully cat that comes into my yard and attacks the screens on my windows to get at my cats. Cubby and Rachel play together, some times they have a little disagreement.

Well my dogs went nuts this morning. Gracie was going insane. Thumper was following Gracie around going insane as well.

There was an all white cat that got over my fence and got into a cat fight with Rachel. I am going to go down to the house where the cat lives and talk to the owner about this.
I did check Rachel over really good, she doesn't seem to be hurt at all. The white cat was limping a little.

Is there anything I can do to keep these neighborhood cats out of my yard, while still giving Rachel her outdoor time? My husbands idea is to get them caged and take them to the humane society. While leaving a not for the owners letting them know where their cat is and why.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Katie

Scooter's Mom
09-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Why take other outdoor pets to the humane society when yours is outside too? That doesn't seem fair. :confused:

KittyGurl
09-14-2007, 07:59 AM
Just for the safety of your cat, I wouldn't let it outside anymore...

Laura's Babies
09-14-2007, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't take the cat to the humane society, I just wouldn't do that to a animal. It is a cats nature to rome and someday that could be your cat in someone elses yard. (You never know when your cat will get that urge to wander around and check out the neighborhood) I don't think I would even go talk to the neighbor but if I ran into them I would mention it.

I don't let mine outside at all, there is just to many things out there that is to dangerous. To me the soultion would be simple and that is to just keep your kitty inside or only let out with supervised yard time. It only takes ONE time for them to wander into the wrong place and cost them their life.

As far as that fence goes, I have seen cats jump them like the wind. Just because you have a 6 foot fence does not mean that will keep your cat in your yard. I kid you not, I have seen cats jump a 6 foot fence easily!

If you have to let your cat out, build a enclosed safe area for it to be in out there.

AbbyMom
09-14-2007, 11:54 AM
For years, my BIL and SIL let their beloved cat out into the yard that had a 6-foot privacy fence.

One day she was gone. She jumped that fence. They never saw her again.

My suggestion: Purchase an outdoor cat enclosure.

Just enter into Google: "Outdoor cat enclosure" and you'll find all types of options from portable solutions to attachments for your house where you can leave the window open.

It will also offer some protection from roaming cats. If you get the one that attaches to the house, she can run inside the house for protection.

Good luck!

G535
09-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Outdoor cat enclosure or keep her inside, can't see any other option, cats will be cats! :)

cassiesmom
09-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Screen porch or similar type of enclosed area for her

Catlady711
09-14-2007, 05:55 PM
You don't even need to buy a premade cat enclosure.

All you need is about $200 (still MUCH cheaper than the pre-made enclosures), a Lowes store nearby (or other similar store), a husband (or boyfriend/neighbor etc) that's handy with building things, and two weekends.

That's what we did. This is built on a 6 foot x 8 foot sheet of plywood and it stands 6 foot tall. It has 3 levels to it, 3 shelves, a sisal scratching post that doubles as a ramp to the next level, and one carpet covered board leading to another shelf. It's covered in chicken wire and has an old sheet for a sun shade. *sorry the pix are older as noted by Dusty's presence and lack of several cats I have now, however this was when it was just finished and the prettiest*

Front with hinged door.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Catlady711/177-7791_IMG.jpg

Right side.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Catlady711/177-7795_IMG-1.jpg

Back side.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Catlady711/177-7794_IMG.jpg

Left side.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Catlady711/177-7792_IMG.jpg

catmandu
09-14-2007, 06:04 PM
I Am Sad As I Am Not Handy At All But I Know How Much Fun The Found Cats Would Have If I Could Enclose My Back Porch Like That.
Maybe Next Year?

Catlady711
09-14-2007, 06:19 PM
I Am Sad As I Am Not Handy At All But I Know How Much Fun The Found Cats Would Have If I Could Enclose My Back Porch Like That.
Maybe Next Year?

I think at an added cost some lumberyards would cut the lumber to size for you if you have measurements. Then all you'd need to know how to do is use a screwdriver, drill, and staple gun.

Laura's Babies
09-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Catlady711, That enclosure is AWESOME!! I would be really temped to make mine one of those!! That could not be that hard to do.... even for a old Grandma like me.... but I think mine would be terrified outside, even in a an enclosure like that.

orangemm
09-15-2007, 12:56 PM
ONE of mine would be terrified, too! :rolleyes:

That is a gorgeous enclosure! Perfect for kitties!

sirrahbed
09-15-2007, 03:32 PM
That enclosure looks just great!! Bet the kitties love it. I especially like the sisal post leading to the higher level. How creative!

MomToThree - I have no idea how you could keep neighboring cats out of your yard. I don't think that is possible. We also have a yard with a privacy fence - yet there are several cats who visit regularly and sometimes "fight" with my cats at the open windows. I can't even raise the windows very high because I think they could easily tear the screening if they were protecting their turf. Maybe you could let your kitty in the yard only when you are outside with them?

MomToThree
09-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Well since all this has happened, Rachel has only gone out when I am out with her. When I wrote this post a was very upset and angry. I know that what I wrote isn't realistic but I didn't care at the time. I was concerned about my cat. I am just glad that she didn't get hurt at all.