PDA

View Full Version : Update on Beautiful and her babies

Reachoutrescue
09-13-2007, 11:22 PM
I know I have been gone for a long time again, and I do apologize. Things have been crazy busy here. I work so much now my head is spinning!! I have had a couple of adoption events at our local Petsmart. It went rather well. All of Beautiful's pups have found homes except for one, Polly. She is sick with Coccidia right now. She has been on meds for awhile and she is slowly getting better. Beautiful is doing well. She has become friends with our dog, Scruff. We are working with her to try to get her past her cat aggressiveness, but we are not sure how that will work. She is good with the cats until one runs or swats at her, then her prey drive kicks in on HIGH gear. She is great with the boys and us. We are not sure what to do with her, whether we keep her or find her a home. We are just worried if we adopt her out somebody may not understand her prey drive and if she kills a smaller animal that she will be put in a shelter and euthanized. My youngest son, Tyler, has grown very attached to her. He is the one who does not care too much for animals so this is a great step for him as well.

Well I just wanted to let you all know I am still here, just insanely busy. Here is a picture of Beautiful with our boys. My camera is now broke, this was one of the last pictures I took with it. Until I get a new one (when funds are available for it) I will post more pics. Sorry I have been gone, and I promise to try to be around more.

Austin (left), Beautiful, and Tyler (right)
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/Beautyandboys003.jpg

crow_noir
09-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Yay for pups getting adopted. Poor Polly, hope she gets better soon.

Beautiful is so beautiful... and that is awesome that Tyler has fallen for her.

I don't have much advice though with the prey drive. I just happened to be very lucky with King. Once he learned that he was going to have a plentiful supply of food he never even thought of harming indoor kitties after that. ...well... unless they did pick a fight with him. He'd chase friendly kitties and put his mouth on them, but he never nipped or anything like that. If he pawed at them he was really gentle.

I was doing OK with Koli with squirrels, but that took LOTS of diligence. I don't have any kitties currently. Let's just say that positive reinforcement used exclusively would NOT have worked. I had to resort to using a tiny bit of force on occasion. :(
...and i don't think in general it is a good idea to use on a pitty. Not only would it probably send the wrong message, but don't they have really sensitive personalities?

Karen
09-14-2007, 01:10 AM
My first and best-smartest-dog-in-the-whole-wide-world Sheba had a prey drive that could not be beat. If it was not human, and not canine, it was fair game, and needed to be killed. I don't think there's any way you can train that drive completely out of a dog that's been born with it. If you end up adopting her out to someone, insist on no cats, no small animals, just to be safe, and warn them why. She is a beauty.

Our neighbors, even those with cats, loved Sheba. Their cats never got too fat or lazy - if they were allowed outside, they quickly learned where all the trees were. And Sheba rid the neighborhood of woodchucks so well they stayed gone almost ten years after she died, and I don't recall ever having squirrels in the birdfeeder when she was around, either!

Jadapit
09-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Omg, the name suits her, she is Beautiful!!! Ebony has a really high prey drive when it comes to cats also. She does do ok with other dogs. My husband thinks he can teach her to get along with cats. Ebony respects my husband a lot so he could probably do it. :)

I hope you are able to keep Beautiful! I know she would have a wonderful life with you and your family.

crow_noir, pit bulls do have really sensitive personalities.

cassiesmom
09-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Awwww, sweet Beautiful! I hope you can stay with Reachoutrescue, or go to a forever home with someone who can help you channel your prey drive (or, at least, doesn't have a cat). I know you will do great with the right person or family and you're off to a wonderful start. The two young gentlemen sitting beside you are very handsome. I like your pink collar too.

pitc9
09-15-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm so happy you stopped by to post!
Beautiful's name fits her Perfectly!!! She IS beautiful!!

lute
09-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Beautiful is indeed, BEAUTIFUL! Congrats to the pups finding homes! You do such great work Tracy! You have been a blessing to Pit Bulls! :D