PDA

View Full Version : Fourth most commonly used language in the USA?? Guess...

Catty1
09-13-2007, 11:02 AM
ASL is said to be the fourth most commonly used language in the United States. http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/asl.asp

PT happens to have one member whose first language is ASL, and I offer these copy-pastes for information on the language. Imagine learning an entirely different language at age 10 or so, with no fallback.
This info is interesting, and valuable beyond the boundaries of Pet Talk.
Also, try this for a visual demonstration: http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm
-Catty1

ASL is a natural language as proved to the satisfaction of the linguistic community by William Stokoe, a professor of English hired at Gallaudet University in 1955.

Standardized sign languages have been used in Italy since the 17th century and in France since the 18th century for the instruction of the deaf. Old French Sign Language (OFSL) was developed and used in Paris by the Abbé de l'Épée in his school for the deaf.

Indigenous Peoples of the American Plains used Plains Indian Sign Language as an interlanguage for communication between people/tribes not sharing a common spoken language.

Syntax

ASL syntax is primarily conveyed through a combination of word order and non-manual features.

Word order

The basic constituent order of ASL is subject object verb. In practice there is a great deal of flexibility to ASL word order, made possible by the use of topics and tags. Both are indicated with non-manual features. Within a noun phrase, the word order is noun-number and noun-adjective.

ASL does not have a copula (linking 'to be' verb).

For example, my hair is wet is signed 'my hair wet', and my name is Pete may be signed '[name my]TOPIC P-E-T-E'.

Topic and main clauses

A topic sets off background information that will be discussed in the following main clause. Topic constructions are not often used in standard English, but they are common in some dialects, as in,

That dog, I never could hunt him.

In ASL, the eyebrows are raised during the production of a topic, and often a slight pause follows:

[meat] I like lamb

As for meat, I prefer lamb.

ASL utterances do not require topics, but their use is extremely common. They are used for purposes of information flow, to set up referent loci (see above), and to supply objects for verbs which are grammatically prevented from taking objects themselves (see below).

Without a topic, the dog chased my cat is signed:

dog chase my cat

However, people tend to want to set up the object of their concern first and then discuss what happened to it. In English, we do this with passive clauses: my cat was chased by the dog. In ASL, topics are used with similar effect:

[my cat]TOPIC dog chase

or literally

My cat, the dog chased it.

If the word order of the main clause is changed, the meaning of the utterance also changes:

[my cat]TOPIC chase dog

means

my cat chased the dog

literally, "My cat, it chased the dog."

Subject pronoun tags

Information may also be added after the main clause as a kind of 'afterthought'. In ASL this is commonly seen with subject pronouns. These are accompanied by a nod of the head, and make a statement more emphatic:

boy fall

"The boy fell down."

versus

boy fall [he]TAG

"The boy fell down, he did."

The subject need not be mentioned, as in

fall

"He fell down."

versus

fall [he]TAG

"He fell down, he did."

Aspect, topics, and transitivity

As noted above, in ASL aspectually marked verbs cannot take objects. To deal with this, the object must be known from context so that it does not need to be further specified. This is accomplished in two ways:

1. The object may be made prominent in a prior clause, or
2. It may be used as the topic of the utterance at hand.

Of these two strategies, the first is the more common. For my friend was typing her term paper all night to be used with a durative aspect, this would result in

my friend type T-E-R-M paper. typeDURATIVE all-night

The less colloquial topic construction may come out as,

[my friend]TOPIC, [T-E-R-M paper]TOPIC, typeDURATIVE all-night

Negation

Negated clauses may be signaled by shaking the head during the entire clause. A topic, however, cannot be so negated; the headshake can only be produced during the production of the main clause. (A second type of negation starts with the verb and continues to the end of the clause.)

Questions

Yes-no questions are signaled by raising the eyebrows, while wh- (information) questions require a lowering of the eyebrows. Raised eyebrows [note how these differ] are also used for rhetorical questions which are not intended to elicit an answer.

Rhetorical questions are much more common in ASL than in English. For example, I don't like garlic may be signed,

[I like]NEGATIVE [what?]RHETORICAL, garlic

This strategy is commonly used instead of signing the word 'because' for clarity or emphasis. For instance, I love to eat pasta because I am Italian would be signed,

I love eat pasta [why?]RHETORICAL, I Italian'

Relative clauses

Relative clauses are signaled by tilting back the head and raising the eyebrows and upper lip. This is done during the performance of the entire clause. There is no change in word order. For example, the dog which recently chased the cat came home would be signed

[recently dog chase cat]RELATIVE come home

The brackets here indicate the duration of the non-manual features. If the sign 'recently' were made without these features, it would lie outside the relative clause, and the meaning would change to "the dog which chased the cat recently came home".

cassiesmom
09-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Wow, I guessed completely wrong. (Spanish - I'll bet that's closer to the top than #4)

My roommate in college was a speech communications major and took an ASL course as an elective. One of the requirements was to be able to perform and interpret finger spelling, so I learned to finger-spell the English alphabet to help her. She had to do it correctly and also fairly quickly - it was not as easy as I expected.

smokey the elder
09-13-2007, 11:43 AM
This may explain a lot of Gina's syntax! It's like anyone else with English as a second language.

Catty1
09-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Posted by Smokey the Elder
This may explain a lot of Gina's syntax! It's like anyone else with English as a second language.
Exactly! And why sometimes people have a hard time understanding her - and why she gets SO frustrated trying to explain things! :)

There is a font called Gaulladet, which you can type in English and it shows in ASL finger spelling! I can't use it in posts here or PMs, but in Word attachments no prob. Knowing the syntax helps!

cassiesmom
09-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Catty, I was talking about this with my roomie from college - the one I learned finger-spelling to help - and she made a point I hadn't thought of. people like me who don't regularly interact with someone who has a hearing impairment and uses ASL, don't think of it as being a language different from English. We assume it's syntactically the same as spoken English, but it's really not. (Off topic: Can I use syntactically in a sentence? Is it even a word?)

Catty1
09-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Cassisesmom - apparently it IS a real word:

Adverb: syntactically

1. With respect to syntax
"syntactically ill-formed"

See also: syntactic

Encyclopedia: Syntactically

Who knew? :)

Freedom
09-13-2007, 05:13 PM
I always find it fascinating to watch people using ASL. (I am NOT eavesdropping, as I don't understand a word!)

Here in RI, we have a Catholic community of deaf persons. They have a priest who signs as well as an acolyte who signs. The acolyte, signing is his second language (English his first.) The priest, ASL is his first language. The priest also says the Mass aloud for the rest of us.

They do not always meet at the same church, but travel around the state and visit all the different churches. When they are at our church, everyone finds it so absorbing; and I doubt many pay attention to the service as they do on other Sundays!)

And one thing which stands out: they all sit in front! (Of course, it is obvious why.) It is a common joke in the Catholic church that we are the "horseshoe" worshipers. No one sits in the front, normally, LOL. Those pews last for YEARS!

CountryWolf07
09-13-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm deaf without my cochlear implant/hearing impaired with it on; so I know ASL. I have known it since I was 3 years old.

Catty1
09-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Rachel - so do you find you are bilingual, in a real sense, with the implant?

Is English stronger for you than ASL, or are they the same? They certainly are REALLY different languages!

crow_noir
09-14-2007, 01:11 AM
I guessed it!!!! :D

My first thought was "Dog" but i realize in these polls and stuff they never consider the four legged actual citizens. Besides... "Dog" Would have to be #2. :p

crow_noir
09-14-2007, 01:23 AM
Your post and Catty's response reminded me of this show... http://www.pbs.org/weta/throughdeafeyes/ I LOVED watching it!!! (For those with premium channels it may be re-airing near the end of the month.)

He he... the band was awesome too! Who woulda thunk? A deaf rock band. (And they sound awesome!)

I'm deaf without my cochlear implant/hearing impaired with it on; so I know ASL. I have known it since I was 3 years old.

Rachel - so do you find you are bilingual, in a real sense, with the implant?
Is English stronger for you than ASL, or are they the same? They certainly are REALLY different languages!

BitsyNaceyDog
09-14-2007, 10:22 AM
I love watching people sign, it's so beautiful.

My sister, sister-in-law, and my soon to be brother-in-law all sign. My soon to be B-I-L is and interpreter and my S-I-L is in school to be.

My sister-in-law is signing in a skit she and her friends are doing for a show. I'll post the video if I can find it.

Edit: Here is the video. It's them practicing for the show. (My S-I-L is the one in the black shirt.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXFicbH0PJM

sirrahbed
09-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Our church services are always interpreted and so I could keep the person signing in my lower vision as I listened to sermons. So, for many years I was really hearing two languages...the ASL really enhanced what I was hearing - I always loved the sign for "JOY" - rather like confetti spiraling upward :D

I had no idea that ASL was the 4th most common language!!

lizbud
09-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Since the syntax is so different, would the deaf people be able to read
the newspaper or books written by a hearing person? Do you know what
I mean? Would the meaning of the written word be different according to
who was reading it?

Catty1
09-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Lizbud...CountryWolf or Gina would be best to answer that question...but I would think it would be like us reading a document in pig latin, in that we would have to keep changing the word order in our minds. We can DO it - but it would be a lot of effort and mentally exhausting (for me, anyway! :) )

The links I found said it is a separate language from any other, including English. I think there is even a French ASL!

lizbud
09-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Lizbud...CountryWolf or Gina would be best to answer that question...but I would think it would be like us reading a document in pig latin, in that we would have to keep changing the word order in our minds. We can DO it - but it would be a lot of effort and mentally exhausting (for me, anyway! :) )

The links I found said it is a separate language from any other, including English. I think there is even a French ASL!

Thanks, I hope they will. I do know that you can change the meaning of
a whole sentence by just rearanging a few words. I was curious.

Catty1
09-15-2007, 08:59 PM
*bump*

Karen
09-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Gina reads in English and can write in English better than when she first joined Pet Talk, I think, but when she's in a hurry, like many non-native speakers, you can tell it isn't her first language.