PDA

View Full Version : Fell Terriers?

Flatcoatluver
09-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Little confused on the whole situation. We got a fell terrier in at work, or that is what she told me. What a cute and cool dog she is. Every where I look online comes up as a patterdale terrier, so now I am a little confuse. Is a fell terrier a patterdale terrier? Can all of those terrier people help me out here?

vinjashira
09-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Perhaps this article can help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patterdale_Terrier

If a black terrier is rough coated, rather than smooth, it may be called a Patterdale terrier, but it is more commonly called a "fell terrier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fell_terrier)" while a rough-coated black and tan terrier may be called a "fell terrier," a "Patterdale terrier," a "working Lakeland terrier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeland_terrier)," or a "black and tan terrier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tan_Terrier)" In the world of non-Kennel Club working terriers, the only real proctor is the quarry itself

Husky_mom
09-12-2007, 07:34 PM
LOl.... just what I was gonna post.......

seems like another uninformed dog owner....... one that thought THAT was the breed.......

it sounded weird to me too as Iīve never heard of it, but with so many "new" breeds and some other rares I thought about looking it up

IRescue452
09-13-2007, 05:14 AM
I've heard of it. "Fell terrier" is more of a regional name for the breeds. According to my dog breeds dictionaries, a Patterdale terrier is a type of fell terrier. And they've been around since the 1700's so lets not call them designer breeds, just rare enough for people to exploit for money.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-13-2007, 05:29 AM
My Tobey is a Patterdale! :D

http://www.patterdaleterrier.co.uk/

Husky_mom
09-13-2007, 09:53 AM
just rare enough for people to exploit for money.

just my thoughts.....

Pawsitive Thinking
09-13-2007, 10:01 AM
And they've been around since the 1700's so lets not call them designer breeds, just rare enough for people to exploit for money.

I resent that! Tobey only cost us Ģ150....and we got him from a working farm

The Patterdale terrier some times referred to as the black fell terrier was first recognized as a breed on the 1st January 1995 by the United Kennel club (see kennel clubs link for further information) , the breed has been tailored as working fell dogs for over 100 years as a working dog in the north of England and south of Scotland, but manly in the lake district areas and Yorkshire where weather conditions and land conditions are harsh. The Patterdale terrier was primarily breed as a working dog for remote regions, where horses and larger hunting dogs struggled to get to. The Patterdale's agility and ability to lay completely flat with the hind legs outward, and front legs out forward, with a small chest made it the perfect dog for retrieving rodents, rabbits and foxes from small holes in the ground. Patterdale's have a endless supply of energy, and make excellent companions. They are working terriers, but if you are looking for a terrier for home, if reared from puppy they will adapt to being a house dog very well. We have read articles saying this is not the case, but we have two Patterdale's, we know other people with Patterdale's and they are not working dogs they are pets and lot's of fun to have around.

IRescue452
09-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Well, a working dog certainly isn't what I meant by a dog that's exploited for money. I meant breeders who sell breeds as "rare" so they can make more.

Husky_mom
09-13-2007, 04:32 PM
just to give another example, people here think huskies and siberian huskies are different breeds

some people had asked me "what breed are they? husky or siberian husky or just siberian? or are those the ones that are white?" and Iīm like well, husky and siberian husky and siberians are the same unless someone selling husky mixes calls them purebred....... and the white ones are samoyeds not huskies......

then Iīve also had this convo " are those with the blue eyes or brown eyes?" and I tell them that they can have them both even in one dog and they say "no, the ones with blue eyes are not pure" others say" the ones with brown eyes are another breed" and even others "if they are not black (fur)they are mixed".......

Iīve seen some people advertize dogs as pure and they are not..... maybe they refered to him as a fell and he is in fact a fell but also a patterdale... just calling him by different name

I also saw this one time " 100% pure malamute, gray blue eyes, show quality"... WHAT??!! blue eyes arenīt desired in malamutes but people go for it..... and if they say rare sibe with blue eyes..... I say itsīnothing rare, to me itrīs pretty common, when you get a dog with pink or purple eyes then call it rare

Pawsitive Thinking
09-14-2007, 03:37 AM
Well, a working dog certainly isn't what I meant by a dog that's exploited for money

Not that Tobey has done a day's work in his life :D

Twisterdog
09-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Not that Tobey has done a day's work in his life :D

If he is anything like my terrier pack, I bet he has done PLENTY of work in his life. Not necesarily the work you WANT him to do, mind you, but work that is important to him nonetheless.

My terriers seem especially excel at the jobs of home redecorating and landscaping. Once, they decided the wallpaper simply had to go ... so it did, from three feet off the floor down. The couch also was simply TOO full of stuffing, and some had to be removed ... from the bottom up. And the smooth grass in the yard was simply toooo boring, dahling ... now we have huge hills, valleys and craters. The "surface of the moon" look is SO today!

;)

Suki Wingy
09-15-2007, 01:26 AM
What people don't realize is the idea of "breeds" is relativley new, within the last two or three centuries. Before that their were "types" of dog. Outcrosses were very common. A dog was either defined by its job, its location, its founder, or a combonation of them. For example, a "pointing dog" or a flushing breed. Some got general characteristics, like the "bengal harrier" was a spotted harrier. It made no difference wether someone crossed in some birddogs or mastiffs somewhere, as long as it could do its job.
I like to make the comparison to horse breeds. Sure you have your pure bred registries like the Jockey Club, APHA, and AQHA, but you also have types based on the job they were bred to do or a similar characteristic. For example, hunter/ jumper, dressage, cob, etc.
There will always be a large discrepancy in terriers because of the way the breeds were formed. Breeds sprung up very localized, and all terrier breeds are very related. I think of most working terrier breeds as extreme specialization of the same breed.

crow_noir
09-15-2007, 02:56 AM
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

What people don't realize is the idea of "breeds" is relativley new, within the last two or three centuries. Before that their were "types" of dog. Outcrosses were very common. A dog was either defined by its job, its location, its founder, or a combonation of them. For example, a "pointing dog" or a flushing breed. Some got general characteristics, like the "bengal harrier" was a spotted harrier. It made no difference wether someone crossed in some birddogs or mastiffs somewhere, as long as it could do its job.
I like to make the comparison to horse breeds. Sure you have your pure bred registries like the Jockey Club, APHA, and AQHA, but you also have types based on the job they were bred to do or a similar characteristic. For example, hunter/ jumper, dressage, cob, etc.
There will always be a large discrepancy in terriers because of the way the breeds were formed. Breeds sprung up very localized, and all terrier breeds are very related. I think of most working terrier breeds as extreme specialization of the same breed.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-18-2007, 05:51 AM
The "surface of the moon" look is SO today!

At last! My garden is in fashion!!!