PDA

View Full Version : Help! Spanky losing all of her fur!

Sevaede
09-12-2007, 12:41 PM
I just noticed this a couple of days ago. Spanky has started to lose fur all over her back legs, her tail, the areas surronding her butt and girls parts, and stomach. I am going to assume, for now, that this will happen all over. She is also a regular scratcher.

I discovered fleas on her yesterday, just a few. She received a bath in regular, blue, Dawn dish soap to rid her of the fleas.

I have no clue what it could be. I tried a new shampoo on her a few weeks ago. I don't think that's it, though, because she's had a couple of them and tolerates them well!

She started on Innova Evo small bites about a month ago. She loves it and I'm pretty positive that's not the problem either.

Spanky is pretty happy despite starting to look kinda naked. :p

Because of my *lovely* supervisor at work I am only scheduled to work TWO DAYS this WHOLE MONTH. So I am hoping someone might know of a few at-home things I can do to help Spanky out?

luvofallhorses
09-12-2007, 12:50 PM
It could be from the fleas.. get some flea and tick shampoo. It shouldn't be that expensive and maybe that will help. :) I am not sure if dawn dish soap gets rid of the fleas. :confused: that soap probably makes her itchy too. do you have mild baby shampoo or something you can use? I am sorry I am not much help. :o we haven't had to deal with fleas for years and they are nasty critters! :rolleyes:

Daisy and Delilah
09-12-2007, 12:50 PM
My Daisy goes crazy if she gets one flea on her. She sometimes scratches until her fur falls out. Not all of it but she has bald spots all over her. I use some Advantage on her and that eventually helps. The best thing you can do is sit there and comb her with a flea comb and try to get the fleas. I'm guessing, if the fleas are gone, this will stop. Good luck!! :)

Sevaede
09-12-2007, 01:15 PM
It could be from the fleas.. get some flea and tick shampoo. It shouldn't be that expensive and maybe that will help. :) I am not sure if dawn dish soap gets rid of the fleas. :confused: that soap probably makes her itchy too. do you have mild baby shampoo or something you can use? I am sorry I am not much help. :o we haven't had to deal with fleas for years and they are nasty critters! :rolleyes:

That's what I've been hearing is that it's probably just the fleas which is a huge relief (that it's probably not something more). I was using the Dawn dish soap per recommendation of my neighbour (I'd heard of it before, as well). She rescued a litter of kittens plus a mama who were about to be thrown out by their former "human". They were absolutely infested with fleas and she used it to get rid of them. I am not totally convinced of the effectiveness 'cause there were only a few fleas on the bottom of the tub.

The shampoo I purchased for Spanky is called Sulfodene. It's for itching and flaking (which preceded the hair loss).

Don't be silly! Of course you were helpful! :D I am in agreement, fleas are terrible.

WELOVESPUPPIES
09-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Is it actually falling out as in balding or is the hair in those areas just really short? I know that LC blow their coat. I actually read somewhere (can't locate it now :confused: ) that a LC chi can loose so much of it's coat that it can look as smooth as a SC but the hair will grow back.

if it is actual balding maybe she has a flea allergy or something. Unfortunately(but fortunate for us) we do not have that problem. I only bath Chopper with baby shampoo and I use no flea preventative unless I happen to spot one.

Sevaede
09-12-2007, 01:29 PM
My Daisy goes crazy if she gets one flea on her. She sometimes scratches until her fur falls out. Not all of it but she has bald spots all over her. I use some Advantage on her and that eventually helps. The best thing you can do is sit there and comb her with a flea comb and try to get the fleas. I'm guessing, if the fleas are gone, this will stop. Good luck!! :)

I am hoping that's all that this problem is. I will definitely have to go and get a comb and some flea shampoo at the least.

I guess this whole thing is kind of confusing because she got a dose of advantage (thanks to Cass, luckies4me! :D *HUG*) not too long ago.

Thank you! :D

Sevaede
09-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Is it actually falling out as in balding or is the hair in those areas just really short? I know that LC blow their coat. I actually read somewhere (can't locate it now :confused: ) that a LC chi can loose so much of it's coat that it can look as smooth as a SC but the hair will grow back.

if it is actual balding maybe she has a flea allergy or something. Unfortunately(but fortunate for us) we do not have that problem. I only bath Chopper with baby shampoo and I use no flea preventative unless I happen to spot one.

Ohh! I forgot to add these to the first post! These are pictures I snapped of her back end.

It's actually a bit of both. Some are just really short and in some spots it's pretty much naked. Her girl parts, back end, and stomach used to be totally obscured by lots of long black fur. She, in fact, had one long tuft on each little hind leg. I used to joke about the horns growing from her butt. :p

I will definitely be making a purchase of baby shampoo, if nothing else, today. :D

Daisy and Delilah
09-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Even with the Advantage, Daisy might start going crazy if a flea is biting her. She just can't stand it. My RB, Killer(looked very much like Spanky)had the same problem. A flea would drive her crazy and she would scratch until the bald spots appeared.

I also use baby shampoo on the girls and they only seem to get a flea once in awhile. Maybe a good lathering and scrubbing in a bath and the flea comb afterward. It always amazes me that sometimes the bath and all the scrubbing doesn't kill the single flea though. She will still scratch after the bath. Where do they hide? :confused:

I can feel your pain. It's very frustrating!

edited to add: those pics look exactly like RB Killer did when she had a flea :(

WELOVESPUPPIES
09-12-2007, 01:51 PM
You need to put some bottoms on poor Spanky, her goodies are all hanging out!! Poor thing. Looks like an allergic reaction to me. When Duke was little he was allergic to all shampoos (because I bathed him too often :p, well he slept in bed and I did not want him all stinky LOL) My vet told me I could use baby shampoo so now that is pretty much all I use. I never have problems with fleas. Well that is not true around November sometimes I will notice a couple then we get advantage and use it for a month or two and that is it. I hope her little bottom is all itchy free soon.

Canis-Lupess
09-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Those patches don't really look sore enough to be caused by fleas but the photos aren't the best so it's hard to see. Normally, with fleas, they lose the hair because the dog chews and bites so hard, it damages the skin too and leaves it sore, red and manky and it's usually on the croup, loin and on either side of these and the base of the tail thats worst hit. Both our Jess and Mist developed Flea allergies when they got older so I had to make sure they remained flea free but, fortunately, they didn't get them that often and with living outdoors, only needed to be treated in summer occasionally. It was rare they got them to start with.

My sisters dog recently lost all the hair off his backend and he didn't have fleas. It looked very similar and the skin looked normal but he did scratch quite a bit. I told her she should get him seen by a vet but she didn't take him. Fortunately, it just grew back on it's own. I know there are conditions that cause hair to just fall out like this and it grows back.

Obviously, treating for fleas is still something to do but I get the impression that this isn't down to fleas.
A vet will have a better idea though.

Catlady711
09-13-2007, 12:25 PM
If a dog is allergic to flea bites, as little as one bite a month can cause a reaction like that. You really need to be using that Advantage every month. You'd said you put some on 'not that long ago' but how long ago was it? If it's been longer than a month then it probably isn't very effective anymore.

Dogs should only be bathed once every 2 weeks or longer or it dries out their skin which can also cause itching.

Shampoos not formulated for a dogs PH balance can dry out skin and cause irritation, as well as chemical laden flea shampoos. Advantage will do a much better job killing those fleas than any shampoo can.

A single female flea can lay 2,000+ eggs in her short lifetime. Those microscopic eggs and larva can live in your home for up to 2 years. Only 5% of the flea population is visable as adults, so for every 5 fleas you see there are 95 immature stages you can't see waiting to hatch. Year round treatment with Advantage/Frontline Plus/Revolution will be needed for a year or two to totally get rid of your existing flea population. After that just treating during the summer months should be sufficient. Treating for just a month or two until you don't see fleas then stopping treatment wastes your money. I can't count the number of clients I've spoke to that have done that and ended up with a worse flea population than they did before and they are shocked why they had fleas again. Flea treatment is far more expensive than flea preventative measures.

As far as your dogs skin/hair loss goes that is assuming that this problem is caused by the fleas, which you apparently need to deal with anyways. There are other things that cause itching besides fleas; ringworm, mange, staph, food allergies, etc. (BTW food allergies can take a while to show up and may take months of being off the food before the effects go away).

The best thing you can do for your dog is make an appointment at your vets office. Regardless of the reason for the itching, they will be able to give your dog something to help calm the itching down and prevent or take care of any skin infections causing or resulting from the scratching.

Keep us posted.

Sevaede
09-13-2007, 03:19 PM
That's what Troy has been saying too. That she might just be chewing herself like that. I've been trying to keep her from scratching and she's taking it pretty easy. :D

I went and bought some baby shampoo and bathed her with it. It seemed to have helped her quite a bit! She doesn't really try to scratch and I saw a few fleas at the bottom of the tub while cleaning it, although I'm gonna take your cue and keep an eye out! They hide in the spots we just got done looking in, I bet! :o

On a different note, Spankys name was almost Killer! :o :D

Even with the Advantage, Daisy might start going crazy if a flea is biting her. She just can't stand it. My RB, Killer(looked very much like Spanky)had the same problem. A flea would drive her crazy and she would scratch until the bald spots appeared.

I also use baby shampoo on the girls and they only seem to get a flea once in awhile. Maybe a good lathering and scrubbing in a bath and the flea comb afterward. It always amazes me that sometimes the bath and all the scrubbing doesn't kill the single flea though. She will still scratch after the bath. Where do they hide? :confused:

I can feel your pain. It's very frustrating!

edited to add: those pics look exactly like RB Killer did when she had a flea :(

Sevaede
09-13-2007, 03:47 PM
You need to put some bottoms on poor Spanky, her goodies are all hanging out!! Poor thing. Looks like an allergic reaction to me. When Duke was little he was allergic to all shampoos (because I bathed him too often :p, well he slept in bed and I did not want him all stinky LOL) My vet told me I could use baby shampoo so now that is pretty much all I use. I never have problems with fleas. Well that is not true around November sometimes I will notice a couple then we get advantage and use it for a month or two and that is it. I hope her little bottom is all itchy free soon.

Heh, I know! She says she used to have a pair of furry pants but they're all gone now!

I've never had a problem with fleas. It just never occured to me, I don't know? She's only two or three pounds and she's just over a year so I just want to make sure she doesn't get hurt. Thank you for the well wishes! :D

Sevaede
09-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Sorry for the poor photos. It's hard to take a close range picture, adjust settings, and get a wiggly puppy to stay put!

I guess I never thought about getting any flea preventative. She's just really tiny and only just turned a year old not too long ago so I didn't want to hurt her.

Those patches don't really look sore enough to be caused by fleas but the photos aren't the best so it's hard to see. Normally, with fleas, they lose the hair because the dog chews and bites so hard, it damages the skin too and leaves it sore, red and manky and it's usually on the croup, loin and on either side of these and the base of the tail thats worst hit. Both our Jess and Mist developed Flea allergies when they got older so I had to make sure they remained flea free but, fortunately, they didn't get them that often and with living outdoors, only needed to be treated in summer occasionally. It was rare they got them to start with.

My sisters dog recently lost all the hair off his backend and he didn't have fleas. It looked very similar and the skin looked normal but he did scratch quite a bit. I told her she should get him seen by a vet but she didn't take him. Fortunately, it just grew back on it's own. I know there are conditions that cause hair to just fall out like this and it grows back.

Obviously, treating for fleas is still something to do but I get the impression that this isn't down to fleas.
A vet will have a better idea though.

Sevaede
09-13-2007, 05:02 PM
I haven't been using Advantage because she is very tiny and I wanted to be very sure she would not get hurt. The only reason she was getting bathed so much was that I was trying to relieve her. I used dish soap because I've heard good stories (on how effective it was). "Not that long ago" means a couple of weeks.

The shampoo I HAD been using BEFORE I tried the dish soap is called Sulfodene. It's a medicated shampoo for dogs and it did not help. Not even an ounce.

I know what ringworm, mange, and staph infections look like. I am pretty positive that it is not any of those. There is no real pattern, in any form, to her hair loss. She just itches and scratches, nothing really secondary to any of it.

She will go to the vet after I get paid next week. She would have gone sooner but this issue didn't pop up until after my paycheck had been spent. (vet doesn't do payment plans, they use CareCredit).

If a dog is allergic to flea bites, as little as one bite a month can cause a reaction like that. You really need to be using that Advantage every month. You'd said you put some on 'not that long ago' but how long ago was it? If it's been longer than a month then it probably isn't very effective anymore.

Dogs should only be bathed once every 2 weeks or longer or it dries out their skin which can also cause itching.

Shampoos not formulated for a dogs PH balance can dry out skin and cause irritation, as well as chemical laden flea shampoos. Advantage will do a much better job killing those fleas than any shampoo can.

A single female flea can lay 2,000+ eggs in her short lifetime. Those microscopic eggs and larva can live in your home for up to 2 years. Only 5% of the flea population is visable as adults, so for every 5 fleas you see there are 95 immature stages you can't see waiting to hatch. Year round treatment with Advantage/Frontline Plus/Revolution will be needed for a year or two to totally get rid of your existing flea population. After that just treating during the summer months should be sufficient. Treating for just a month or two until you don't see fleas then stopping treatment wastes your money. I can't count the number of clients I've spoke to that have done that and ended up with a worse flea population than they did before and they are shocked why they had fleas again. Flea treatment is far more expensive than flea preventative measures.

As far as your dogs skin/hair loss goes that is assuming that this problem is caused by the fleas, which you apparently need to deal with anyways. There are other things that cause itching besides fleas; ringworm, mange, staph, food allergies, etc. (BTW food allergies can take a while to show up and may take months of being off the food before the effects go away).

The best thing you can do for your dog is make an appointment at your vets office. Regardless of the reason for the itching, they will be able to give your dog something to help calm the itching down and prevent or take care of any skin infections causing or resulting from the scratching.

Keep us posted.

critter crazy
09-13-2007, 05:07 PM
My RB boy Zues was allergic to fleas, and would have the same problem. He would scratch like crazy, and loose all his fur on his back end. we used advantage after we found out what the problem was, and never had another problem with it. we also had a medicated spray from the vet that we used.:)

Daisy and Delilah
09-14-2007, 08:29 AM
How is Spanky now? I am lol that her name was almost Killer!!! My Killer was a real pistol too. What a personality she had. I often bring things up and laugh about them. She was something else.

The baby shampoo seems to leave no extra traces of stuff to make them itch. Is she still scratching at all? Good luck. I know what you're going through. :(

Denyce
09-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Ok I know no one is really going to pay attention to this but....

We put Sequoia on Innova Evo last April. At the Ice Cream Social in August one of the dog experts that has known Sequoia since we got her wasn't impressed with her coat. I hadn't realllllyyyy noticed it. Although I did notice that she lost alot of the long guard hairs on her back. Last night I was looking at her and I noticed that the hair around her neck was looking very scruffy and that she is losing the copper color. The hair while in some ways is feeling dry and brittle when you finish petting her you hand feels oily and I have never had that with her before. I just thought I would mention it since this dog is also on Innova Evo. In fact I am going to start another thread.

Hellow
09-14-2007, 03:40 PM
You know, i have heard of dogs shedding faster than they can grow their coat back. Also, Reggie has fleas amd she never has lost any fur. And she scratches almost constantly. We are trying out hardest to rid of them. Also, if it turnes out to be fleas, you cant just treat the dog. You must also treat their enviroment. This including your inside of your house and your yard.