PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Have A Sphynx Kitty??

moosmom
08-01-2002, 11:39 AM
I'm just curious if anyone here has a sphynx. I have a 2 year old male, MooShoo, whose personality I have never seen in a cat before.

He is very clingy (I don't mind at all!!) and loves to go for walks on his harness, rides in the car. He also likes to be held in your arms like a baby. He LOVES people in general and has worked in pet therapy because of his wonderful temperament.

I was wondering if anyone else with a Sphynx has experienced this kind of kitty personality with their bald dudes or dudettes?

moosmom
08-02-2002, 04:49 PM
I guess not. To give you an idea as to what he looks like...here he is!

The Cat Factory
08-03-2002, 05:18 PM
I don't have a Sphynx, but i'd love to get one! MooShoo is beautiful!

moosmom
08-03-2002, 07:06 PM
Thank you! You are the very first person who has said he's beautiful. Usually they tell me he's either ugly or so ugly he's cute.

Twinkles is beautiful. She looks like she(?) has a great personality and gorgeous coloring. Can you tell me about her? I love to hear about other people's cats.

The Cat Factory
08-03-2002, 07:52 PM
Yep, Twinkles is a She! She has the most unique markings, too. On one side it's peach, the other it's calico. It's so cute. And she has a great purrsonality too! She loves to sit out side during summer and just lounge in the yard. She loves people. She's always up on someones lap when she's indoors. She hates the carpet. If you put her on it, she flies about 5 feet in the air to the nearest purrson! And she loves Whiskas temptations treats. She is a pretty small cat, only weighs about 10 lbs. She doesn't get along with any of our 8 other cats except our baby kitten.

How could anyone say MooShoo is ugly?:confused: Just look at that face!

AmberLee
08-03-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by The Cat Factory
...How could anyone say MooShoo is ugly?... Just look at that face!

His face is adorable, but are those tootsie-paws a dream, too? :D

The Cat Factory
08-04-2002, 12:50 AM
Why yes, of course they are:D

alexnell
08-05-2002, 12:54 AM
There is a woman on another board I go to that has one. I will pm you the address of the board.

Miss Meow
08-05-2002, 04:32 AM
I have a little book called 'Cats' by Yann Arthus-Bertrand and this is his cute tongue-in-cheek write-up about the Sphynx ...

"No, I'm not a four-legged bat, or a medieval gargoyle come to live ...Don't you like me? Do you find my nakedness indecent? Come, come, am I any more naked than you? You want to know where I am from? Well, I shan't tell you ... because I am a sphynx after all, so I ask the questions! Wouldn't you like to stroke my soft skin? It would be a change from fur! But maybe you don't like my wrinkles.

I'm actually a kind of Devon Rex, minus the fur ... which makes me all more of a mutant. In any case, those Rex cats are are just beginners at the mutation game, but I'm an old timer! I have ancestors on pre-Colombian engravings; scientists spotted me in 1830 in Paraguay and in 1900 in Mexico - and now that I'm being seriously bred, you'll just have to put up with me!"

Edwina's Secretary
08-05-2002, 03:46 PM
I adore Sphynx cats!!!! I saw your picture of him and wanted to compliment you on him but for some reason the word "Sphynx" won't come to mind.

I seek them out at Cat Shows and would love to hold one (they don't let you -- understandable.) I also think the Devon Rex are gorgeous.

Guess I like cats with big ears!

NoahsMommy
08-05-2002, 07:28 PM
She is very pretty!! I cant imagine anyone telling you she's ugly...how rude!!! That is really cool she is a therapy kitty, how do people respond to her? Where do you take her?

moosmom
08-06-2002, 04:59 PM
Sara,

When you go to a cat show, ask the exhibitor if they would mind you petting their cats. Most don't providing you ask first. I know when I showed MooShoo, everyone wanted to pet him, so I always kept a bottle of hand sanitizer on hand just in case. They feel like a warm suede hot water bottle. The Devon Rex is simply a Sphynx WITH fur. :) You wouldn't like those ears if you had to clean them 3 times a week! :eek: Because he has no fur in his ears to catch the dirt they get dirty very easily and quickly!

Noah's Mommy,

MooShoo loved being a pet therapy kitty. He loves being around people which makes it easy. We went into see a woman resident one time and she said how bad she felt for Moo because he had no fur. When I asked her if she wanted to pet him she said "Oh my no! There's nothing to pet!!" I was laughing so hard tears were streaming down my face. Gotta love the boy!

NoahsMommy
08-06-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Noah's Mommy,

MooShoo loved being a pet therapy kitty. He loves being around people which makes it easy. We went into see a woman resident one time and she said how bad she felt for Moo because he had no fur. When I asked her if she wanted to pet him she said "Oh my no! There's nothing to pet!!" I was laughing so hard tears were streaming down my face. Gotta love the boy!

How funny!! I think it would be neat to have MooShoo visit me!! I'd pet him!!! :)

When I finish school (in about a million years) I wanted to get a Lab to train as a therapy dog! I think it's such a cool thing to do! :)

moosmom
08-07-2002, 12:03 PM
Noah's Mommy,

I'm sure Moo would LOVE to visit California, especially because of the warm weather.

purrley
08-19-2002, 03:12 PM
Moosmom - your Sphynx is exquisite. You must get a lot of attention when you take him out. I have only seen one first hand and that was at my vet. Someone had a female and was looking for a stud to breed her with. They are glorious creatures, I'd give anything for one. Perfect no shedding wonderful kitty. You're so lucky - your baby is so beautiful!!!!

moosmom
08-21-2002, 05:27 PM
Purrley,

Thanks. He is a very unique cat. His personality is like no other I've seen in other cats. He's been through alot in his 2 years. But he's a real survivor. Ya gotta love him!

As far as no shedding is concerned, that can be a plus. But Sphynx cats are high maintenance. They need to be bathed twice to three times a month depending on how much oil collects on his skin. And his ears get cleaned 2-3 times a week. That's because he has no fur in his ears to trap the dirt. You should SEE the stuff that comes out of them. If you didn't know any better, you'd swear he had earmites. It's not. He hates his ears cleaned and isn't too crazy about a bath either. But he's a good boy about it. I give him a treat afterwards.:rolleyes:

Miss Meow
08-27-2002, 08:02 PM
How could I not buy a magazine with Mike Myers and his Austin Powers kitty on the cover! Two of my favourite things.

Fuzzy317
08-28-2002, 04:27 AM
I found this about a Sphynx cat.

Sphynx Cats - Description, History and Care (http://www.thecatsite.com/breeds/sphynx.html)

Vermontcat
08-28-2002, 01:15 PM
Miss Meow, thanks for posting the pic of Mr Bigglesworth from Austin Powers, he's the only Sphynx I have seen until MooShoo showed up here. I liked when Minime had the kitten version of Mr Bigglesworth in the 1st or 2nd movie.

Moosmom, I guess MooShoo doesn't shed or get hairballs or hair mats I guess that is a plus but part of the fun of having a cat is running your hands through their fur I think. (like that lady told you "there's nothing to pet"):eek: He is cool looking though.

moosmom
08-28-2002, 07:12 PM
Mr. Bigglesworth's real name is...get this..."Ted Nudegent". That is hilarious!!

MooShoo doesn't really like to be pet. He kind of bends his back when you do try. But he's a real cuddler. He LOVES to sleep under the covers with me with his head on the pillow and my arms around his body. I have a tendency to get hot flashes :mad: so his body heat makes me sweat. But I don't care. He's great to cuddle with.

He also likes to be picked up and will climb up on your shoulder if you tap it. Only problem is, having 11.5 pounds of purring flesh on your shoulder can really weigh on ya! ;)

Janeway
09-10-2002, 07:12 AM
Moosmom, I have 2 Cornish Rex boys, and have noticed how much they are heat seekers. I even have a heating pad with a thick place mat over it that operates 24/7 in the cold months. I've often thought I'd love to get a Sphynx (Buddy is close, as he gets even more naked in the summer and have noticed what must be that oily residue you talk about on his belly and inside of his back legs), but I've wondered if I would be able to keep a Sphynx warm enough. Does that ever worry you? How do you handle it? Turning the heat way up is not an option--beside the cost, I don't like it too warm in the winter.

moosmom
09-10-2002, 10:55 AM
Janeway,

I really don't worry too much about MooShoo getting cold because he does burrow himself under covers whenever he gets cold. I keep my heat at 68-70 degrees and have lots of "snug sacs" around where he can go. When I take him out (he loves to ride in the car) he's got a turtleneck swear that he wears and also snuggles in his little sac. I also have a down throw that he likes too. The rule of thumb is if you're cold, they're cold.

BTW, I'd love to see pictures of your Rexes if you have any. They're almost like Sphynxes with fur. :D