PDA

View Full Version : Fish for a 10 Gallon Aquarium?

mousie
09-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Alright, so here's the deal. I talked to my dad about a 10 or 20 gallon tank, and he said no to a 20 gallon, so I guess I must go with a 10 gallon. But, I am wondering what some recommendations are for fish? I haven't bought any supplies or anything yet, so I'm still in the thought process, but I really need recommendations. I was thinking of guppies, but after researching them, I found out they breed like wildfire. So, any other suggestion? Thanks!

~Abigail

EDIT: Just did some research, and would 1 dwarf gourami, 3 -5 guppies, and a small bottom feeder or snail work?

Alysser
09-10-2007, 08:28 PM
You have alot of options to go with here. Do you really want Guppies? Yes, they are pretty but they are live bearers and breed ALOT. Of course, I don't know if they will all fight if they are just females, or just males. I would recommend getting TWO bottom feeders. They do VERY well in groups, and enjoy company. For example, my two Cories in my sig. I also have a Pleco but her isn't in there. Cories would eat alot of the food the other fish don't eat, etc. If you're looking for an algae eater got for a common pleco. Obviously, the small species.

IRescue452
09-10-2007, 08:46 PM
No pleco stays small enough for a 10 gallon tank. The smallest grow over 6" and the biggest get several feet. Please don't be one of those people who buys a baby fish and dumps it later. A small group of kuhli loaches are fun to watch. They look like tiny, tiny eels. The dwarf gourami and guppies are great. Other small tetras and platies would do if you didn't want guppies. Or just get male guppies.

Before you get anything, learn how to properly cycle a tank. It will save you money (on fish and supplies), save you from frustration, and will save the lives of many fish. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

mousie
09-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys! I read about plecos and yeah they really won't work for me. I also read about danios, platys, and other small fish. The Kuhli Loaches sound pretty cool! I'm actually have lots of fun researching fish :D ( :rolleyes: I should be doing my homework though :rolleyes: )

IRescue452
09-10-2007, 09:05 PM
The loaches are very active too, swimming wildly all over the tank. I had a group of four, two blacks and two albinos, at one point in time. Now I have one left and it rarely comes out of hiding.

critter crazy
09-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys! I read about plecos and yeah they really won't work for me. I also read about danios, platys, and other small fish. The Kuhli Loaches sound pretty cool! I'm actually have lots of fun researching fish :D ( :rolleyes: I should be doing my homework though :rolleyes: )

Kuhli Loaches are very cool fish!! I have two of them, I just wish I would see more of them, as they spend the majority of their time hiding. But I stilll love them! They have been a great addition to our tank!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/Fish/100_3232.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/Fish/100_3231.jpg

When my kids had a 10 gallon tank, they just loved schools of Neon Tetras!! They are fun to watch!! I think they are a great addition to any tank!

Genny
09-10-2007, 10:22 PM
I use to have 2 of the kuhli loaches. I loved them! One lived about a year and the other one lived for about 4 years. They didn't come out much, but when they did I enjoyed them. Sometimes they would hang on the little suction thing you attach to the thermometer.... Their names were Eeyore & Tigger...I enjoyed them so I recommend some; they're very friendly fish so you can put them with lots of different kinds! :D

Freedom
09-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Also consider the "effect" you would like. I prefer to see LOADS of fish. So I always select varities which, when adults, are still quite small. That way I can keep more of them. Some people prefer 3 or 4 larger fish.

I would go with varieties of tetras: neons, black neons, serpaes and pristellas. But tjat's to get the effect I like. These fish are rarely more than an inch as adults; so you could have 7 or 8!

Christmas_Hamster
09-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Well I once had my 10 gallon tank stocked with (it has changed a few times):
-a male betta and 3 otos
-3 male guppies and 2 male platies(no babies!)
-and 3 male bettas (it was divided)

If you want all male guppies they will get along, mine did and they did when I had 7 male guppies in my 20 gallon. You could also do a female betta sorority but it is alot of work making it work because they can be aggresive. My fav fish site and forum is www.petfish.net Good luck!