PDA

View Full Version : that day, that awful day

joycenalex
09-10-2007, 07:30 PM
it's only been 6 years, and it's the first time tuesday has come around since that awful blue day. i can recall many things, but the sheer horror of seeing the murder of nearly 3000 people in front of my unable to comprehend eyes still is there. and the only thing wrong those poor souls did that day was go to work. tell your families you love them, make sure they know it. pet your fur babies. and remember.

crow_noir
09-11-2007, 12:08 AM
I really could have cared less.. I was just like "Oh, it actually has begun." I was also dealing with my own personal crisis.

It was this forum though that made the event seem so much more real to me and brought it close to home. One of the poster's son's teacher perished. Some of theposters had S.O.'s they were worried about.

The event as a whole "big whoop." On a personal level though... I feel so so sorry for loved ones lost. That's the part that makes me cry. I feel so bad for the living who have to deal with it.

it's only been 6 years, and it's the first time tuesday has come around since that awful blue day. i can recall many things, but the sheer horror of seeing the murder of nearly 3000 people in front of my unable to comprehend eyes still is there. and the only thing wrong those poor souls did that day was go to work. tell your families you love them, make sure they know it. pet your fur babies. and remember.

Karen
09-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Two of the planes left from our airport, Logan airport is a ten-minute drive from our house.

The florist downstair's boyfriend/partner was on one of the flights, I'll never forget Michael's screams of anguish that were loud enough to be heard through brick walls.

And after the interminable footage on TV, after caling Lady's Human, who was home with infant Marylin-Jean - she wasn't even a month old. After touching base with everyone, the eeriest part for us was the silence.

Boston is a big city, and Logan is a huge International airport, and suddenly, there were no planes overhead. None. No planes, no helicopters, the office buildings downtown had been evacuated ... and our skies were completely silent. Every once in a while fighter jets would go overhead, and in the otherwise silent sky, they were loud and ominous.

And then the skies were silent again.

And the mourning began, the city's heart was rent with grief, and the world had forever changed, and that morning was not yet over.

Pet Talk prayed with our members who couldn't reach family members in New York city that day. We were all very relieved when tatsxxx11's husband reported in at last, and cried with relief alongside RottieLuver when her cousin was heard from, he had evacuated the towers before they collapsed.

And now, 6 years later, life goes on, but our hearts remember.

kallisto4529
09-11-2007, 02:59 AM
We have to remember it is so important not to forget. So many thought we were untouchable!!!! But the sad truth is we are not, and we never will be. That day will forever be branded in our hearts, in our minds, in our souls, one of my best friends I could not get in touch with that day, he worked near there I found out later, but for some reason I thought his office was in there, I was panicked beyond belief, finally midnight I get a phone call, he is safe. Oh the joy that was felt, the tears that were shed, to hear your loved one's voice and know they are still in your life to be able to tell them out loud "I love you"!!!!! My heart broke with everyone that day, my prayers were never ending, they are still that way for all the people left behind. Today I thank God every day that I have all of my family here with me and I try not to take any of them for granted.
Today I thank all of the men and women who gave their lives that day trying to save the one's that they could save.
May God Bless all of you and keep you and your loved one's safe.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-11-2007, 05:01 AM
We visited New York in the following December and won't ever forget going to Ground Zero or the warm welcome we received from everyone we met.

My thoughts are with you all today

Babyboonie
09-11-2007, 06:03 AM
I can't believe it was 6 years ago already - it still feels like yesterday.

My thoughts and prayers go to all the families and friends of those that lost their lives...and those that made it through but are continually haunted by what they experienced.

Today will always be a sad day - one that will never be forgotten.

xxx

Alysser
09-11-2007, 06:16 AM
I was in 3rd grade, and I remember it was almost the end of school, yet everyone was leaving. I was confused as to why, and when I got home I saw what had happened. My dad had been on a plane with his boss that day going on a business trip and my mom couldn't get in touch with him, since he was on a plane, then he finally called her after he got off. :eek: I've went to ground zero many times after and the shock and eeriness is still there. It always will be. :(

critter crazy
09-11-2007, 07:11 AM
I will never forget that day! I cried so many tears that day, and have never been so scared in my life! we Lived at the time, in Albany NY, which is the state capital. Our son went to Daycare in The Federal Building. We rushed to the Federal Building to Take our son home, as we were so scared of what might happen. I rember the Rush of parents, the Madness, and just the fright in everyone's eyes! I Remember getting the call From my Unit, that we were Being deployed to the site, just a few hours later. I rember having to give a teary goodby to my 1 1/2 yr old son, not knowing what was going to happen. I remember all of the Mental anguish all of my fellow Soldiers faced after spending so Much time at Ground Zero, not to mention all of the Health problems. 9/11 will never, ever be forgotten. You can never forget something like that!!

Freedom
09-11-2007, 08:08 AM
It was all so eerie. We just kept the TV on all day, watching the coverage. I kept thinking, "it's a movie. No, this really happened." It was so shocking, I just couldn't fathom it.

And the silence, as Karen mentioned. That went on for 4 days. DAYS. Not a plane in the sky. Never realized how much noise we have going on around us until it was silent.

I always remember one shot on TV, which I've never seen replayed. It was towards the end of the day, and people were walking across a bridge to get to some sort of working transportation to try and get home. Their eyes were blank; their clothes were covered in dirt. It looked like a picture of war refugees in some other country. But no, it was in THIS country!

We were making an effort to fly the flag today but . . . it is pouring rain out.

Cataholic
09-11-2007, 08:50 AM
I will never forget. I watched in horror, and cried many tears for our nation, for those that I never met. Such horror. Visiting Ground Zero was very moving, touching, and eerie.

lbaker
09-11-2007, 09:03 AM
I remember looking out my office window seeing the smoke from the Pentagon rising into the sky. Washington DC was evacuated and the long, quiet walk home began. People kept turning around as we left the city to look back over our shoulders. It was almost as if we expected to see some horrid creature following us. Something horrid did follow everyone that day and still comes back to haunt :(

lizbud
09-11-2007, 09:48 AM
I called in sick with a cold that morning and I was just laying on the couch,
bundled up with a comforter watching TV.Then they broke in with this horrible
news & film footage of the smoke & horror of what was happening. I could not
believe my eyes at what was going on. Then the second tower building was
hit. :( I immediately wanted to call family & friends to see where they all
were. It was so scary. I'll never forget. :(

cassiesmom
09-11-2007, 10:10 AM
I had just started a new job and was getting ready to go to the home of a co-worker with a home office for orientation. I remember Katie Couric on the Today show saying they were not sure what a big plane was doing flying directly over lower Manhattan like that, maybe it was pilot error ... and a beautiful, sunny day in Chicago ... driving to her home ... somehow she and I managed to keep working but we were calling other parts of the country where offices had been closed and people sent home so we knew it was something major. When I got back to the office the mood was very subdued, they'd had the radio on all day and knew what was going on. O'Hare is exactly like Karen described about Logan - you get so used to the constant presence of planes that it's eerie when nothing is flying. One of the pastors from my church was on flight #11 from Boston to L.A. so it's kind of a solemn day.

Today in Chicago is pretty low-key, the mood is quite subdued because people know what day it is. And again, it's a beautiful September day. Not as warm as 6 years ago though.

elizabethann
09-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Two of the planes left from our airport, Logan airport is a ten-minute drive from our house.

The florist downstair's boyfriend/partner was on one of the flights, I'll never forget Michael's screams of anguish that were loud enough to be heard through brick walls.

And after the interminable footage on TV, after caling Lady's Human, who was home with infant Marylin-Jean - she wasn't even a month old. After touching base with everyone, the eeriest part for us was the silence.

Boston is a big city, and Logan is a huge International airport, and suddenly, there were no planes overhead. None. No planes, no helicopters, the office buildings downtown had been evacuated ... and our skies were completely silent. Every once in a while fighter jets would go overhead, and in the otherwise silent sky, they were loud and ominous.

And then the skies were silent again.

And the mourning began, the city's heart was rent with grief, and the world had forever changed, and that morning was not yet over.

Pet Talk prayed with our members who couldn't reach family members in New York city that day. We were all very relieved when tatsxxx11's husband reported in at last, and cried with relief alongside RottieLuver when her cousin was heard from, he had evacuated the towers before they collapsed.

And now, 6 years later, life goes on, but our hearts remember.

When you talk about the planes and how they stopped flying, I remember hearing planes flying that night. The were fighter planes, protecting the East coast. Shortly before I heard the planes, I heard our town siren go off. It only goes off on Sunday's at Noon (and for warnings, which we've never had). But for some reason, the siren went off. I remember thinking that something happened at the Seabrook Nuke Facility. I was so scared. I remember thinking...this is it.

My hearts will forever go out to the people who died that day, their families and the people who have to live with the toxic dust today.

Kirsten
09-11-2007, 12:24 PM
I still remember that Tuesday, 6 years ago, I'll always remember it. The shock, the disbelief, and these pictures that were repeated a hundred times on tv, so they are carved in our memories as long as we live. This is one of the moments where no one will ever forget what he did the moment he learnt the news.

I remember so well the photo of the "dust lady"; I saw her photo the next morning in the newspaper. I remember I looked at her in that picture, I was wondering what her job was in the WTC, and I pictured her dressing herself for her working day that morning, not knowing what kind of fate was waiting for her. Now I learnt that she's no longer able to work since 9/11, and that she's barely leaving her house anymore. 9/11 destroyed so many lives, not only those who died in the flames.

My heart goes out to the victims, and their families. It's six years now, but it feels like yesterday. It's still very close.

Kirsten

AbbyMom
09-11-2007, 12:52 PM
That Day was also my 25th wedding anniversary. When I got home, the hubby had a bottle of champagne on ice. I broke down and started crying after holding it in all day and said I just couldn't do it (celebrate).

I remember quite clearly the exodus of many of my coworkers to go donate blood when the call went out on the radio. Didn't even ask...just went to stand in line.

Another coworker had a cousin in the towers that died that day and an aunt that escaped. Sad were those phone calls I heard her on all that day until she realized her cousin probably was gone. :(

Kiss your family good-bye every morning and say "I love you."

RICHARD
09-11-2007, 02:46 PM
That Day was also my 25th wedding anniversary. When I got home, the hubby had a bottle of champagne on ice. I broke down and started crying after holding it in all day and said I just couldn't do it (celebrate).

Funny thing. that is my brother's weeding anny too!

My SIL broke out the wedding tape and I looked at the date and went "whoa"...

sirrahved
09-11-2007, 02:55 PM
September 11, 2001 I was just starting my freshman year of college. My first time away from home. I felt like any shred of security I was hanging onto was ripped away.

I went to my cheesy freshman orientation class and Zach told us that someone was attacking the US. We didn't believe him. It sounded too strange.

Rowe (the prof) comes in minutes minutes later. I can still hear her words. "Our nation is under attack." The rest of class we were allowed to go to the Cardinal's nest and watch the news.

I went back to my dorm room and immediately called my Grandpa. I wanted to be home in security so much!

There was fear that Ann Arbor might become a target. You watched the sky, half expecting planes to fall out of the air.

The worries over my cousin Jeniffer, who lived just across the water from the towers. She watched the whole thing unfold. Was she okay? Physically? Mentally?

I only wish I COULDN'T remember that horrible day.

Sevaede
09-11-2007, 03:45 PM
I was in high school then. I used to sleep with the television on (for noise). I woke up and they were rolling footage of the events. I remember the borders around the pictures were BRIGHT RED, telling all sorts of information.

I went to school and all we did was watch the news and things based around the events. I remember my art teacher being in hysterics. I later found out that she possibly had family in the area. It ended up being that she didn't, which was, obviously, great news.

critter crazy
09-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I just found this, and thought it was way creepy!!!

1) New York City has 11 letters

2) Afghanistan has 11 letters.

3) Ramsin Yuseb (The terrorist who threatened to destroy the Twin Towers in 1993) has 11 letters.

4) George W Bush has 11 letters.

5) The two twin towers make an "11"

This could be a mere coincidence, but this gets more interesting:

1) New York is the 11th state.

2) The first plane crashing against the Twin Towers was flight number

3) Flight 11 was carrying 92 passengers. 9 + 2 = 11

4) Flight 77 which also hit Twin Towers, was carrying 65 passengers.

6+5 = 11

5) The tragedy was on September 11, or 9/11 as it is now known. 9 + 1+ 1 = 11

6) The date is equal to the US emergency services telephone number 911.

9 + 1 + 1 = 11.

Sheer coincidence..?! Read on and make up your own mind:
1) The total number of victims inside all the hi-jacked planes was 254. >2 + 5 + 4 = 11.

2) September 11 is day number 254 of the calendar year.

Again 2 + 5 + 4 = 11.

3) The Madrid bombing took place on 3/11/2004. 3 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 4 = 11.

4) The tragedy of Madrid happened 911 days after the Twin Towers incident.

Sheer coincidence..?! Read on and make up your own mind:
Now this is where things get totally eerie:

The most recognised symbol for the US, after the Stars & Stripes, is the Eagle. The following verse is taken from the Quran, the Islamic holy book:

"For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a fearsome Eagle. The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the lands of Allah and lo, while some of the people trembled in despair still more rejoiced: for the wrath of the Eagle cleansed the lands of Allah and there was peace."

That verse is number 9.11 of the Quran.

Still uncovinced about all of this..?! Try this and see how you feel afterwards, it made my hair stand on end:

Open Microsoft Word and do the following(TRY THIS FOR REAL)

1. Type in capitals Q33 NY. This is the flight number of the first

plane to hit one of the Twin Towers.

2. Highlight the Q33 NY

3. Change the font size to 48.

4. Change the actual font to the WINGDINGS 1

sirrahved
09-11-2007, 04:40 PM
according to snopes, your quote from the Koran doesn't exist.

Sirrahsim
09-11-2007, 04:45 PM
The significance to all of those 11's is hogwash as are the "q33 NY" which doesn't have anything to do with either of the planes.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/elevens.asp
http://www.snopes.com/rumors/wingdings.asp

Pawsitive Thinking
09-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Hey, people need comfort not criticism - mourning takes many forms

popcornbird
09-11-2007, 05:14 PM
The most recognised symbol for the US, after the Stars & Stripes, is the Eagle. The following verse is taken from the Quran, the Islamic holy book:

"For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a fearsome Eagle. The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the lands of Allah and lo, while some of the people trembled in despair still more rejoiced: for the wrath of the Eagle cleansed the lands of Allah and there was peace."

That verse is number 9.11 of the Quran.

[/color][/b]

I just had to point this out. Verse (9;11) in the Quran is as follows:

(Quran: 9;11) "But (even so), if they repent, establish regular prayers, and practise regular charity,- they are your brethren in Faith: (thus) do We explain the Signs in detail, for those who understand."

I will never understand why people make things up and spread it all over the internet, and then, people believe it without doing their own research. That so-called verse does not exist...AT ALL...and trust me, as a Muslim who has been reading the Quran since I learned to read (from childhood) on a daily basis, I do know what I'm talking about here. Just wanted to clear that up before anyone believed it. Its completely false and a lie.

caseysmom
09-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey, people need comfort not criticism - mourning takes many forms

I agree but people have to be careful lest they spread hatred. I feel for the muslims in the country especially today.

critter crazy
09-11-2007, 06:09 PM
I just had to point this out. Verse (9;11) in the Quran is as follows:

(Quran: 9;11) "But (even so), if they repent, establish regular prayers, and practise regular charity,- they are your brethren in Faith: (thus) do We explain the Signs in detail, for those who understand."

I will never understand why people make things up and spread it all over the internet, and then, people believe it without doing their own research. That so-called verse does not exist...AT ALL...and trust me, as a Muslim who has been reading the Quran since I learned to read (from childhood) on a daily basis, I do know what I'm talking about here. Just wanted to clear that up before anyone believed it. Its completely false and a lie.
Well excuse me!! I apologize, remind me not to post anything anymore!

A simple it isnt true would have sufficed!

critter crazy
09-11-2007, 06:10 PM
I agree but people have to be careful lest they spread hatred. I feel for the muslims in the country especially today.
what the heck does anything I posted have to do with the hatred of Muslims???

critter crazy
09-11-2007, 06:12 PM
according to snopes, your quote from the Koran doesn't exist.
Thank you. Sorry for the post!

popcornbird
09-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Well excuse me!! I apologize, remind me not to post anything anymore!

A simple it isnt true would have sufficed!

In case you misunderstood my post, my frustration was directed towards whoever wrote that and spread it on the internet, not towards you. I don't appreciate it when people make up false things and spread it to the world, when so many have no knowledge about certain issues and will believe whatever they read. I know you did not know it wasn't true, and do not blame you for that at all, nor was my frustration regarding that quote directed at you. I'm sorry if you took it, or understood it that way. I just didn't want anyone else on PT to read it, believe it, and spread it elsewhere. That is why I posted the real 9;11 verse. To clear things for everyone.

Edwina's Secretary
09-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Those "coincidence" stories go around often. One of the better known is the Kennedy/Lincoln one. But they look at the things that "match" and discard what does not.

For example....Osama Bin Laden does NOT have 11 letters (and of course, would not be written in english script anyway) Manhattan does NOT have 11 letters. Al queda - when written in english - does not have 11 letters. September does not have 11 letters and is not the 11th month. Etc, etc.

Add in a few untruths....Lincoln's secretary was NOT named Kennedy..the Koran does not contain that quote. But by that time people are seeing what they have been told to see!

As is 3/11/2004...shouldn't that add up 3 + 11 + 20 + 4 = 38? Or 3 + 11 + 200 + 4 = 218?

My question is who has enough spare time to sit around and come up with these things? :D

Freedom
09-11-2007, 07:10 PM
We live right near the city's water tower. It is walking distance, less than a quarter of a mile away. IT serves the entire citty, over 650,000 people ( and businesses).

Periodically, we hear helicopters come up from Providence Port and circle the tower. We never had that prior to the 9-11 attacks. Now, it is done when the crisis level reaches a certain color (I just don't remember WHICH Color).

They started these helicopter checks on 9-11-01. The first few times, everyone was worried it was a terrorist copter attacking our tower. We were all so jumpy at that time, that anything out of the ordinary got us spooked. Even now, when the copters come up, we rush to check in with the news to find out what horrible thing may have happened.

Life is NOT the same as it was before that attack.

critter crazy
09-11-2007, 07:22 PM
In case you misunderstood my post, my frustration was directed towards whoever wrote that and spread it on the internet, not towards you. I don't appreciate it when people make up false things and spread it to the world, when so many have no knowledge about certain issues and will believe whatever they read. I know you did not know it wasn't true, and do not blame you for that at all, nor was my frustration regarding that quote directed at you. I'm sorry if you took it, or understood it that way. I just didn't want anyone else on PT to read it, believe it, and spread it elsewhere. That is why I posted the real 9;11 verse. To clear things for everyone. I appologize as well. I took it to be an attack on me, not the post. sorry i took it the wrong way. Thank you for clearing it up. Many thanks!:)

crow_noir
09-12-2007, 07:28 AM
I grew up knowing that life is fleeting and always was one to give hugs and say "I love you" any chance i got and to wish someone a safe journey...

For some reason though it wasn't until i watched Fruits Basket that it became habit to say "Be safe." I'd say always something like "Drive safe," "Watch out for idiots," or "Be safe at work," before, but now i always at least whisper "Be safe."

Kiss your family good-bye every morning and say "I love you."

mike001
09-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Even being Canadians, I think we were also shellshocked as you would say.
Everyone was glued to their t.v.'s in total disbelief and mostly in silence. Most of the following weeks were covered by our networks, regular programs being closed. No one was interested in anything but the coverage, wondering what was to come next. Garth Brook's said it best in his song.

elizabethann
09-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Even being Canadians, I think we were also shellshocked as you would say.
Everyone was glued to their t.v.'s in total disbelief and mostly in silence. Most of the following weeks were covered by our networks, regular programs being closed. No one was interested in anything but the coverage, wondering what was to come next. Garth Brook's said it best in his song.

What did Garth Brooks say?

RICHARD
09-12-2007, 11:23 AM
My question is who has enough spare time to sit around and come up with these things? :D

Unemployed math teachers?

mike001
09-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Garth Brooks didn't say anything per se----he wrote a song about that day- It's as famous as his song "last dance"----would you believe I love the song, but can't remember the name, I'm sure someone on here remembers the name, unless I'm the only Garth brooks fan. If it comes to mind I'll post it.

RICHARD
09-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Alan Jackson wrote this one...

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/alanjackson/wherewereyouwhentheworldstoppedturning.html

Very moving... :(

buttercup132
09-13-2007, 07:23 PM
I just found this, and thought it was way creepy!!!You can do that with just about anything if you try. There's the movie number 23 that is just like what you wrote, he related everything back to him as the #23 but anyone can easily pick a number and do that you just have to think of all the things that could relate to it.