PDA

View Full Version : Breeder Question

NicoleLJ
09-09-2007, 09:04 PM
I just have a question for those breeding or for those that are fostering pregnant dogs or have rescued litters in your home. None of this pertains to my litter. It is just I am curious about the responses.

Ok here is the question. Do you think it is mandatory to meet the puppy adopters of your pups before they go to their new homes?

I used to think not. I never physically met Sheena's breeder before i got Sheena shipped to me. But now that I have done this and my pups are all doing great in their new homes I think I prefer the idea of being able to meet the adopters before they get a pup. I got to meet all the adopters in person for Sheena's puppies. And it certianly helped a great deal in teh matching process(partnered with the temperment tests and so on). Plus it was nice to be able to sit and chat and get a real feel for them instead of just phone calls and emails.

Some of my adopters had to fly here to visit or drive long distances. But they still were able to visit and meet with the litter before taking their pup home. Some visited multiple times. I also think it made the adjustment period so much easier. So far not one pup has had any seperation issues and all are very happy and confident in their new homes.

So what is your opinion? I know it is not always possible to meet with the people depending on circumstances and locations. But would you then adopt to someone you never got to meet and fly a pup out to them, as long as they passed all of the other criteria for your interview process?

I think this could be a very interesting discussion.
Nicole & Sheena & Puppies

crow_noir
09-10-2007, 02:45 AM
ABSOLUTELY!!!!

In the very least for a trustworthy proxy fill-in to meet them.

Personally I could never stand to not meet potential adopters/buyers.

I know that that stuff is usually left to the owners of the bitch, but when I planned on breeding King I was going to include in the breeding contract that I would have authority over who the pups went to. (I just could not trust the fate of his pups to anyone else. They'd mean way too much to me.)

I don't know exactly the whole process of the rescue group i work with, but i know they always have a potential home for their rescues screened more than just through paperwork. (I know the head of the organization doesn't do all the home checks herself.)

...Do you think it is mandatory to meet the puppy adopters of your pups before they go to their new homes?...

I personally couldn't. For other people though in general in my opinion it again falls back to having a reliable fill-in check for you if you are comfortable with that and have people available to help out.

But would you then adopt to someone you never got to meet and fly a pup out to them, as long as they passed all of the other criteria for your interview process?

Freedom
09-10-2007, 08:20 AM
The bichon rescue from which I adopted Sugar (and for which I now foster) does not have us visit the home, or meet the adoption parents. We do 2 levels of phone interview. The first one is by the team leader and focuses on the people. The second level is done by the foster parent, and focuses on the both the people AND the dog. Separate from this, someone in the home office is checking vet references. We do ask for photos of the fenced in backyard. Dogs fly all over the country. I do NOT know if they have a different procedure if the adoption is local; I haven't done one yet!

For the most part, it works. But my current foster, Ozzy, is a case where it didn't work well at all, poor guy. But hey, he is great here with me!

For puppies, and the quality of your pups, I would think people would want to meet, and be willing to fly to meet.

pitc9
09-10-2007, 09:23 AM
100% yes!!

I've rescued and have had home inspections and I've also done home inspections for other rescues.