PDA

View Full Version : Is there any such thing as a "tortietude"...

moosmom
09-09-2007, 08:49 PM
I've got Dr. Goodnow on the phone right now and I mentioned to her that Lexie Joon has a "tortietude" and she acted like I had three heads!!!

So, all you tortie slaves, please educate Dr. Goodnow on the unique attitude all torties have, also known as "tortietude".

jenluckenbach
09-09-2007, 09:08 PM
OH YES!! Tortie-tude is real!

I do not share my home with any torties, but I know that when one comes into rescue or one comes into the grooming shop, to be prepared for a cat who knows what she likes (and dislikes) and is not afraid to tell (and show) you!!! :p

catnapper
09-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Yes! Its a real thing!

Torties have a personality that no other cat has. They are typically very fussy - everything must be just so to their exacting standards. They will tell you quite blatantly when it doesn't meet their expectations. Though when you DO meet their expectations you will have a devoted and LOVING member of your family. :)

I have two Torti-tabbies, also known as Torbies. Both girls are cut from the same cookie cutter.

kuhio98
09-09-2007, 09:44 PM
I am currently owned by my first tortie. OH MY GOD! I had no idea about their reputation. Before Cammie adopted us, I had never heard of the term "tortitude". Miss Cammie should be their poster child! The girl is grumpy, pissy, bitchy, scared, jumpy and incredibly needy of my husband. She follows him around frightened that they will be separated. She is really quite pitiful. But, God forbid I should touch her! She hisses and spits and even stops purring if I pet her. I've never had such a high-strung kitty. We keep hoping that she'll calm down, but almost 4 years later, she hasn't mellowed. Something tells me, she never will.

Cammie is still not convinced that I really need to live in HER home. Sure, I'm useful to her -- opening jars and cans -- but other than that, she has no use for me. I'm posting some photos. The look on her face! Now, that's tortitude!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/Kuhio%20Halo%20Cammie/fb84faf7.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/Kuhio%20Halo%20Cammie/bab15343.jpg

kt_luvs_kitties
09-09-2007, 10:10 PM
It is real. Penny was the most vicious cruel kitten I ever had... I had to call a pet psychic, which I was then told that she needed to be put down...

Needless to say, I did not listen.

Once she got about 6 months old, and realized that I did love her and that I was WORTH her time, she is now very loving to ME... Not Rickie. Or anyone really...

She is "special" in a quirky, tortie kind of way! :p

shais_mom
09-09-2007, 11:49 PM
oh yes - it's very real.
Kloe will tolerate being petted for only so long and then she swats or bites.
But she can also fetch and be very playful when she wants to be! :D

MyCatMowgli
09-10-2007, 05:51 AM
how can the color of a cat affect anything?

jenluckenbach
09-10-2007, 06:18 AM
how can the color of a cat affect anything?
Well, first of all, it won't be 100% true, but the fact is that a great majority will fit the description.

Second, color is determined by genetics and so is personality. it is highly possible that the genes are related in a way that when the color comes out TORTIE then the personality comes out Tortie-tude.

Even my vet, who majored in genetics, says certain colors have certain characteristics (on the average, not a 100% guarentee)

Medusa
09-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Funny, cuz my old vet said the same thing about calicos and Puddy does all the things that you all say torties do. Interesting. :confused:

Freedom
09-10-2007, 08:29 AM
"Tortitude" is recognized by TICA -- The International Cat Association -- which sponsors many cat shows.

http://www.seregiontica.org/Colors/tortietorbie/tortietorbie.htm

Since the tri colors are almost always female, it seems clear that the color and the personality, as well as the gender, are somehow linked genetically. (Males, if they survive at all, tend to be sterile.)

Torties and torbies are very interesting! They tend to have what the cat fancy calls "Tortie-tude". More than any other color, these girls have an "opinion" on everything. They will tell you exactly what that opinion is! At the same time, they can be one of the sweetest cats you will ever own.

Randi
09-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Oh yes, you can bet there's such a thing as tortitude - in Denmark too! Fister's mom was a tortie. She was mostly walking around being grumpy and seemed to hate humans. However, she was a good and caring mom. :)

No one wanted to mess with her, but after a few years of feeding her, she let me stroke her a bit, while eating. :) She once cornered a huge dog in the yard, who was threatening another kitty.

catnapper
09-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Funny, cuz my old vet said the same thing about calicos and Puddy does all the things that you all say torties do. Interesting. :confused:
A calico is simply a tortie with white. :)

Medusa
09-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Aha! Thanx for 'splaining that, Lucy! :p ;)

AbbyMom
09-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Camilla wants to know

What do you mean by that?

What's it to you?????
:D :D :D :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/pb33545701aef016d55c507b330f74f90/f1acd0f4.jpg

shais_mom
09-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Camilla wants to know

What do you mean by that?

What's it to you?????
:D :D :D :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/pb33545701aef016d55c507b330f74f90/f1acd0f4.jpg
lmao! :D
yup -
kloe can be sooooo sweet and then BAM! I had an animal communicator talk to her a few weeks ago and she asked Kloe about the biting and scratching and I asked why is she so mean. She said Kloe acted distraught that I thought she was mean. I was like if you could see my hands and arms - you'd wonder why too! :eek:
But she has made a change since talking to the lady - (it wasn't Nancy) She seeks me out for attention more. Altho last nite we had a brushing session go crazy. Her ears were pinned back against her head so tight I thought they'd melted! :eek:

kimlovescats
09-10-2007, 12:45 PM
OH YES!!!! I had a foster this past year that was quite the hellion!!! She had babies when she came in and after they were gone and she was spayed, she beat the snot out of every cat here! She was great to me, but what a stinker to any other living creature! Her name was Millie, which started as Miss Millie and ended as Mean Millie! :rolleyes: I couldn't get her adopted out quickly enough! The level of tension quickly decreased once she was gone! LOL!

Here she is stalking and smacking! :rolleyes:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Pet%20Talk%20Pictures/Img_3217.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Pet%20Talk%20Pictures/Img_3204.jpg

DrKym
09-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Ok so at least I am being well trained by a professional.....................she has me almost totally housetrained to her every whim.......... will write more but she wants a tummy rub..........

sirrahved
09-10-2007, 02:59 PM
I totally believe it is real. My grandparents had a tortie when I was growing up. They tell so many stories about her! Apparently they left her alone for two days and to show she was mad she made on Grandpa's refrigerator (her main human.) If that's not tortitude, I don't know what is!

On the same thought lines, shaded silver persians are supposed to be the most ethereal of all persians. This is definitely true for Marshmallow.

kimlovescats
09-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Kym ... it's good to see you posting! How is Jupiter??? I haven't heard anything about him in forever!!!

Kim

DrKym
09-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi sweetness! he is spoiled FAT and ruined, he hates everyone but his daddy............so he lives down stairs where he isn't annoyed by us touching HIS hooman! I will post pics of him soon! I have been very ill so the pics are a few months old. He went through his neuter with flying colors. He loves the rescue kitties but bit me very badly, had to PM Jenn over it spent 4 days in hospital but its all good. We will eventually be friends if he gets over the fact that other ppl can touch his hooman.

Sorry Donna didn't mean to hijack this thread.........you can hurt me later......

kimlovescats
09-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Hi sweetness! he is spoiled FAT and ruined, he hates everyone but his daddy............so he lives down stairs where he isn't annoyed by us touching HIS hooman! I will post pics of him soon! I have been very ill so the pics are a few months old. He went through his neuter with flying colors. He loves the rescue kitties but bit me very badly, had to PM Jenn over it spent 4 days in hospital but its all good. We will eventually be friends if he gets over the fact that other ppl can touch his hooman.

Sorry Donna didn't mean to hijack this thread.........you can hurt me later......

OH MY GOODNESS! I never saw that behavior while he was here! That's terrible! You had to spend 4 days in the hospital because of his bite??? Maybe he just is one to not do well with too much stimulation. I'm sorry that you've been very ill, hope things are getting better for you, Kym!

catmandu
09-10-2007, 05:02 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/cats101913-1.jpg
THE ULTIMATE IN TORTIETUDE IS POUNCER ROCCALNO , WHO RHYMES WITH TORRNADO. IN ONE WEEK SHE SCRATCHED AND FOUGHT HER RESCUE WITH THREE PEOPLE, ESCAPED FROM HER CAGE AND THHEN ESCAPED THE FOUND ACT PARADISE HOTEL BY DIGGING OUT OF THE BASEMENT.
AND HERE SHES GIVING THE MAUCH BIGGER TUBSTER A PIECE OF HER MIND.
IF THATS NOT TORTIETUDE I DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

Felicia's Mom
09-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Felicia is a torbie and she has "tortietude." I could only pet her if she wanted me to. She did not want me to pick her up either.

DrKym
09-10-2007, 05:28 PM
i WAS UNTIL NOW A TORTIE NEWBIE............... I AM LEARNING DAILY THAT AS LONG AS I DO NOT USE THE WORD NO..........................................SORRY ALL MUST GO AND SERVE THE DIVA........

phesina
09-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Poppy is a tortie who personifies ("felinifies?") the concept of tortitude!

moosmom
09-10-2007, 06:46 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/deploss13/DCP_2925.jpg?t=1189467791

This is the Divine Miss "M", 15 year old Mollie Rose. Queenie to you all! :p

DrKym
09-10-2007, 06:51 PM
TOOOOOOOOO beautiful! kiss our Queenie

moosmom
09-10-2007, 06:59 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/deploss13/DCP_3126.jpg?t=1189468680

Here is the other tortie, the MAGNIFICENT Lexie Joon!!

DrKym
09-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Will post new pics of the MAGNIFICENT Lexie girl! She loves her new dresses and coats!

*hides face while admitting that Lexie now has purple nails*

jennielynn1970
09-10-2007, 07:17 PM
I didn't realize Lexie was a tortie... what a cutie pie!!

My Finae is a tortie, but dilute. It doesn't change the attitude much though, lol. She is the queen of the house, and lets all the other cats know who is the boss. Sophie is a calico, and a dilute as well, and she has some tude, but is mostly a sweetie pie and a mush. Not that Finae isn't a mush... she's my girl. Knows when I'm feeling down and blue and is there by my side. Sophie too... They are such good girls.

Glad that Lexie is enjoying her new home so much!! Sounds like she's making sure her new meowmie knows exactly what she expects, lol.

PS.... hope you start feeling better soon Kym!

DrKym
09-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks so much Jenn! and yes Miss Lexie is a very good Hooman trainer ...hell she has me totally trained to her each whim.....even to the volume of the TV....but don't tell Donna, she keeps laughing at me!

Catlady711
09-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Torti-tude is totally real!!!

I'm fortunate, Sassy is a sweet little bugger for the most part and loves people. However if you squirt her for being on the counter she'll lay down her ears, swat at you and turn her butt as if to say 'ok squirt me here', then she jumps down only to go right back up there 1 minute later, this goes on all day.

Sabrina has a bit more of the torti-tude, she prefers my hubby, but does like other people when she wants to, and can get fairly ornery if she doesn't want to be picked up, she's more flighty of the 3 sibs.

However it isn't always confined to just the torti coloring, Josh (brother to my two torties) is a little spitfire and heck to handle at times, he's a torti in personality if not color anyways. lol

My mom owns a torti, and she's ALL Torti-tude, complete with hissing and biting if she doesn't get her way, but she does get very attatched to certain people and gets very lovey with them only.

We have a tortie that lives at our hospital and she musta just got the coloring because she's the most obnoxiously affectionate cat you've ever seen!! She gives head butts, kisses and when you pick her up she wraps her paws around your neck and literally gives you a hug. She loves everyone and I've never heard her hiss or growl and she's never swatted anyone. I'm thinking her coloring must be an illusion because she acts so sweet.

Based on the hundreds of cats I've dealt with in my 6 1/2 years working at the hospital, if the cat is a tortie we automatically use caution until we decipher it's personality.

Calico's can frequently be of a similar purrrsonality however not to the extent or frequency we see in torties.

DrKym
09-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Lexie has taught me without a doubt that my existance is to be her slave....................................

earlier today while cathing up on PT I stopped rocking her.....she bit me till i rocked her again........not saying anything but I will never again decide anything without HER permission!

I am so blessed! thank you again Donna and here I thought it was just a Sphynx thing......silly me

carole
09-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Well Nikkita is my first ever tortie girl, i am not sure what kinda of tortie she is,as she is not dark like some of them,but i have to say she is the sweetest and gentle little kitty ever, i believe you all about torties, but my girl does not seem to possess this, lol, i guess she just has to be different. :)

Donnaj4962
09-11-2007, 07:01 AM
Oh yes..... torti-tude is alive and well in our house!

My Sasha is a prime example! She wants petted and held and cuddled.... ON HER TIME! When she is done, she lets you know! And sleeping in? HAH! Not with her in the house! She starts her screaming session between 5 and 6 every morning.... and doesn't stop until her slave (ME!) gets up and turns on the water int he bathroom sink. Never mind that there is a perfectly fine petmate water fountain downstairs! Only the bathroom sink water will do for her highness! But I love her and wouldn't have it any other way!

Here are a few pictures of the Princess!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p532af19a4b44b24f37dcdfc93ffdbc9c/e7cbb510.jpg
I am NOT looking at you with that silly flashy thing until you change my litter box!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pf634e655264f1f5ae363c096e859ad19/e7cbb50f.jpg
WHAAAAT? I am trying to take a nap here!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p60cdd695ed60ae56ea92abb42c8b5ccc/e7cbb48c.jpg
Ohhhh, you are going to let everyone see how gorgeous I am? Why didn't you say so? You may take my picture now.

Anikaca77
09-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Here are my torties.

Ashley is 3 yrs old and Fiona is 4 months old. Ashley has the tort attitude going but Fiona so far is very loving and wants attention although she's not coming to her name or listening so she is being just like Ashley in that regards.

kb2yjx
09-11-2007, 01:04 PM
The very first cat I adopted(way back in 1988), was a WHITE TORTIE. Miss BooBoo Kitty quickly taught me what tortitude was all about!!! For 16 yrs, she was my BEST friend. Now, Hayley, a black tortie, is at our house. She is my husband's best friend, and I am despised!!! Then to round things out, there is Nimet, a lovely calico. We once participated in a study about cats and their colours. It was NO suprise to find out that the ORANGE cat is the MOST sensitive....

DJFyrewolf36
09-11-2007, 11:29 PM
My MIL is now caring for Pandora, the only tortie Ive had the pleasure/displeasure (depending on the day ;) ) of being around for an extended period of time. To give you an idea of her tortitude her nickname is micro-psyco. She lives up to her name in SPADES! Unfortuneatly, she did not get along well with my other kitties and my MILs kitties seem to be tolerant of her swatting, hissy moments.

Tortitude is very very very real! Although I bet you are finding that out ;)

Give that cute tortie of yours a hug for me, if she allows it that is!

rosethecopycat
09-12-2007, 07:19 AM
My Siamese Tortie girl, Bella has no Tortitude at all! :confused:

Unless you count the fact that she is easily insulted, and can hold a grudge. :p

rbrowne222
06-27-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm almost 50 and have had cats all my life. I'm a total "cat person." I thought that I knew all there is to know about cats. Then I got hoodwinked into adopting this pitiful little tortie. Best thing that ever happened to me!! What a lesson in humility! She owns the house, and I live to serve her! She loves me fiercely -- she even jumped on the one other cat in the world that she tolerates because she thought the other cat was trying to hurt me. But she does hold a grudge. Several months ago, I accidentally stepped on her paw while I was filling her food dish. She put me on her poop-list for weeks! She still runs when she hears me get the container out to fill her dish again. I don't think that a tortie should be someone's first cat. But she was a God-send to me. I needed fierce love and laughter and puzzlement -- and it all came in a little black and orange package. She was a foundling - skinny and burned paws from the pavement of the back road she was found on. She was past pitiful...so I searched for a name for her to grow into. I found it online: Sonsy. It's a Scottish world for buxom and healthy. She's still kinda small, but her tortitude is "sonsy" enough to carry her.

GILL
06-29-2009, 01:30 PM
YESTortitude is real. We have almost every color andhair length and the TOTIE'S are thier own breed. It seems that the darker the colors the more the attitude. Penny is the talk to the paw girl, Boots is "yo can pet when I want you too, Precious is I will sit on your shoulder when I want to and you WILL PET, Sweety "don't come near me", and Dobi " stop I'm here too be petted - now"
When ET was with us she was the pinical of Tortitude and she was big enough too enforce it.
If I sit to watch TV Demetri, MIts or Egypt will come up for some loving. But when Prcious comes evryone must go or get growled at and/or get wacked.

smokey the elder
06-30-2009, 07:13 AM
In the Cat dictionary next to the word "tortietude" one might find a picture of Bosun! She can be a b.... at times...well, most of the time!:D

slave2kitty
07-04-2009, 07:56 PM
OOOOOOOHHHH yes, there sure is... the stories I could tell you about kitty! :/. On the other hand we have found owning her very rewarding and love her to bits.

What I'm currently freaking out a little bit about is our first baby (human baby!) is due in a couple of weeks and I DON'T think kitty is going to take it well at all. She had been acting uber clingy and bipolar since I got pregnant, and aggressively destroys pretty much every new baby item/box she can get her claws onto. She will keep us awake all night if we don't let her sleep in bed with us, but we can't have her in our room once baby is born for safety reasons, and I really don't want to lock her outside in the middle of winter. She is like our baby- as soon as my partner or I get home she needs food, cuddle, toys, then more cuddles, more food, then bed, in that EXACT order or there will be hell to pay, she will ONLY eat food in our room, and ONLY drink water out of a human cup you fill in front of her etc etc. I'm actually really scared she is going to try to hurt or smother our child when it is born or just pull out her ultimate punishment and run away for weeks and get adopted by some suckers several kms away (this happens a few times a year).

Help! Any suggestions for how to avoid the inevitable catpocalypse?

Vik121
08-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Just want to add, my tortie Melody has exhibited the classic symptoms of tortietude since I got her at the age of four months! However, times it by TEN an that's my Melody... I call it "Melytude"!