PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one with this kind of luck? *Canon Powershot A550*

Alysser
09-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Yesterday, I was in the car with my parents and my sister and we were on our way to Atlantic City. I wanted to take a picture of the scenery and tried to get a good shot, but it came out crappy so I deleted and shut off the camera. When you shut off the camera, the lenses go in. Well this time it didn't. If you pressed the button, it made the sounds of it closing but it doesn't close. It won't take pics, it doesn't DO ANYTHING. I don't even know what the heck happened?? :rolleyes: So anyway, we can't find the receipt or anything. And even if we could it wouldn't be under warranty since we bought it from QVC and not Pentax. So, now I need a new camera.

My parents forbid me from getting the same brand which was Pentax. So, what are the best camera brands?? I was told Nikon and Canon. I don't really have a price range, but I guess nothing over $350. Thanks!

But seriously, am I the only one who has such crappy luck with cameras? My first one was bigger then a brick. I got a new one for my birthday last year, and it's NOT even a year old and it broke.

k9krazee
09-09-2007, 12:51 PM
No, no...you're not the only one! ;)

I just got the Canon PowerShot S3 IS from amazon for less than $300. It's worth looking in to, I've only had it for two days but so far I'm very pleased.

Jessika
09-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Canon, definitely :) It's a favorite here at PT, and good reason why. If you're looking to take point-and-shoot pics, I recommend the PowerShot series. :)

CountryWolf07
09-09-2007, 01:50 PM
I have a Casio Exilim 7.2MP and 3x Optical Zoom; I really like it. :) It is a very good camera!! Very thin & easy to carry around in your back pocket!

Zippy
09-09-2007, 03:59 PM
If you got it form QVC.Send it back and I bet they will send you a new one.QVC is great like that.My grandma has a had stuff break a year later and sent it back and they sent her a new one.

Catlady711
09-09-2007, 04:27 PM
I've got the Canon Powershot S3 and I love it!!! Since the S5 is now out the S3 should be really coming down in price.

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-09-2007, 04:31 PM
I'd definitely go with Canon if I were in your position. The S3 is really nice, and is very well priced at the moment. Nikon is pretty good too, but I can't say as I really like their point and shoot cameras - I only like their SLRs.

I haven't heard many good things about Pentax cameras. Most people I know who had them were very dissapointed.

Alysser
09-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Nikki, my dad called QVC, they said they won't do anything and you have to return it to the manufacturer. I am pretty disappointed with both Pentax camera AND QVC, but not a much QVC.

My mom has been researching camera's for me all day, she said I should go with Canon to. I am definitely interested in a point and shoot camera. So, Canon would be good for that.

Ashely, I would love an S3 but I am looking for a smaller type, wish I could get both a small one and the S3. :D

shais_mom
09-09-2007, 06:17 PM
qvc has a limited return policy, I think its 30 days.
I got a Nikon S50 for less than $300 - at best buy.
This is the Nikon S51 very similiar - it has a HUGE viewer on the back - its like 3". At the last PT meeting Anna and Robin were both saying they wanted my viewer...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8469258&st=nikon+cameras&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1184768166370

Giselle
09-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Personally, I feel that Nikon is for very skilled/professional photographers. Canon is more user friendly and they have a lot of easy-to-use lines. I so wish I could get another camera, but you know how expensive the first year of puppyhood always is. *sigh* If only!

cloverfdx
09-10-2007, 01:53 AM
If you are after a smaller P n S Panasonic have quite a few different models in their Lumix range :).

Freedom
09-10-2007, 08:35 AM
I got the Canon A560 in June and I LOVE it. At least 2 others on here use it as well.

You can go to the Canon web site and they let you pull up as many as 3 models to compare side by side. I did that when I had narrowed it down to 2 models; and I discovered that one needs FOUR AA batteries, while the other needed only TWO. I had not realized that before the side by side. So that should help you.

Also, dpreview.com is excellent when searching reviews for a new camera.

Anita Cholaine
09-10-2007, 05:27 PM
I got a Canon A460 about a month ago. Enven though it is a pretty cheap camera, it still takes such high quality pics. I'm so in love with it :D When I got it, I was between the A460 and the A550 (which is bit more expensive) It was the 1cm macro that made me go with the A460.

You can never go wrong with a Canon. I wanted a cheap camera so that I wouldn't mine if it got stolen or broken, but since you don't have a price range, you have a pretty big variety!

Alysser
09-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I really appreciate them all. Also, Freedom thanks fro the site. I was looking for that URL but I couldn't seem to find it or remember it lol.

I am looking into the Nikon Coolpix S10:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/coolpix/s10/index.htm

I'll definitely take a look at the Canon A460! Sounds like a cool camera.

shais_mom
09-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Another thing to keep in mind that my S2 has been taking some screwy pics- Its just over a year old- I bought it in June of 2006 and in August of 2007 I emailed Canon to ask them about it and they said b/c its out of warranty it would cost $170 to LOOK at it plus parts and labor!!!
When I sent my Fuji in to have it looked at it was over the warranty and the first look and fix was free. But when I sent it in the 2nd time a couple months later it was $170 to fix it.
But I remembered on my canon I paid $60 for the extended warranyt thing so I sent it back thru best buy for that and that was for 5 years! so for $12 a year..

Alysser
09-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Another thing to keep in mind that my S2 has been taking some screwy pics- Its just over a year old- I bought it in June of 2006 and in August of 2007 I emailed Canon to ask them about it and they said b/c its out of warranty it would cost $170 to LOOK at it plus parts and labor!!!
When I sent my Fuji in to have it looked at it was over the warranty and the first look and fix was free. But when I sent it in the 2nd time a couple months later it was $170 to fix it.
But I remembered on my canon I paid $60 for the extended warranty thing so I sent it back thru best buy for that and that was for 5 years! so for $12 a year..

:eek: So, you have to be careful with any brand, right?

I would like a small camera equivalent to the S3 but I want it so I can take it anywhere. I am so confused. There are so many cameras out there.

shais_mom
09-10-2007, 10:55 PM

I would like a small camera equivalent to the S3 but I want it so I can take it anywhere. I am so confused. There are so many cameras out there.
that is exactly right.
Fuji took my camera in when I had had it well over a year and fixed it free the first time.
My Nikon is very small and very portable. (when I first got it I took pics of it in comparison to a lip gloss and it was the legnth and width of a lip gloss tube! ) It doesn't have the macro that the S2 (etc) have but I love it.

Jessika
09-10-2007, 11:14 PM

I recommend the Canon PowerShot SD series. I have an SD500 and its small, compact, yet takes AMAZING photos. The battery lasts forever, too!

dukedogsmom
09-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Mine isn't smaller but I love it! It's a Canon Powershot A630. We should have Canon do a commercial with all of us that use their Powershots.

Alysser
09-13-2007, 05:48 PM
YES!!!!!!!!

I have been cameraless for over a week(whew..dunno how I survived!) but I am getting one at a sale tomorrow at Sears. I have chosen the Canon Powershot A550. The sale is two days including Friday and Saturday so either one. This camera looks great and the price is very good! $119! Can't wait. :D

Sevaede
09-13-2007, 06:34 PM
That is a FANTASTIC price! :D woohoo! way to go! :D My PowerShot A540 by itself (no battery, small memory card, no case, etc) was over $170. So you definitely got a deal! :D